Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Live Trip Report Via Pretoriuskop.
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

6 April 2009

Just want to open our posting site. At the moment we are packed and awaiting the hours to past. We are leaving at 1am. We are entering via Numbi gate and want to be there early for a nice camping site. We are a large group of round about 30 people. Some has come as far as Australie and most of us from the limpopo area.

We will be doing a live trip report every evening.

So let the good times start.
Any advice is welcome and hope you will enjoy our report.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Post subject: Re: Live Trip Report Via Pretoriuskop.
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:52 pm 

Hi you guys. Sorry for only posting now. Had really bad weather last night.
We arrived save and sound. Camp was pitched and had an very needed avternoon nap. Started raining around 3 o clock and stopped late last night.

For the afternoon drive we saw 2 cheetah near Transport dam. Very unhappy with the rain. Other sightihgs were impala, ellies . leopard tortios,wildebees,giraffe,rhino.

Today on voortrekker road we saw hartebees and rhino. Spotting is very diffucult as the grass is very tall. Plenty of water in the veld. also saw plety of kudu on the saltjies loop in the afternoon as well as waterhog.

Tomorrow morning we are leaving at 5 for our firtst morning walk. Sorry for the sort report. Will post again tomorrow evening. Will try and post some of our pic's.

Thanks for all your post. Haven't seen other forum members in the park.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:33 am 

Hi to everybody
Sorry for only getting back to you now. Everything possible with the internet went wrong and was very sad for not giving you guys a live report. Back at work so just want to get work up to date and then will start with a tevel tale.

We had a really good trip. And one really sad story to tell.

Thanks to every post. Will be starting with my tale and pic's soon.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:53 pm 

6 April 2009

We could not wait to leave. The alarm clocks were set for 1 o clock to get up. Not that we got any sleep. When I closed my eyes all I could see were the roads we wanted to travel and all the animals. We arrived at Numbi gate at 5;45 the morning ready as can be and 3 red bulls later. Entering the part was a breeze. We arrived at camp and booked and a got a really nice spot right next to the fence. Everything settled I decided on a afternoon nap as I could keep my eyes open.

Got up 2 in the afternoon and told my friend it was time to explore. The problem was that the sky started turning black and we diceded to leave any way. We took the tar road towards skukuza. It started raining really hard but we drove on. The grass is very tall and you can't see very far as we travel in my mazda 3.

We stopped at transport dam and a guy from tompsons tours stopped us and asked if we seen the cheetahs as they were looking for them. We told him no and he drove off with a speed. We kept on driving on the tar road and we stopped next to a bakkie and asked what they were having a look at. They told us the 2 cheetahs were luying in the grass. We were to low to see them. :cry: We waited and the next moment it started raining really hard. And out of the blue the cheetah popped up his head. We could believe our luck.
:D

To continue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 am 

We turned on the S65 gravel road. We saw about 5 leopard tortiuoses. Really nice to see. Here and there we spotted the impies but everything was hideing of the rain. At the end og the gravel road we were held up by 2 young ellies testing they're power.

We turned on the S1 and it stopped raining for a while. We saw some impies and 1 wildebees. And there was mister ellie again. It was a huge bull ellie and he was walking in the road. There were already 3 cars held up by him. He didn't wan't any car to pass. Kept us going back for almost 1 km. Eventually he got tired of the game and moved into the bush. Then we found a big white rhino next to the road.

We turned on the S3 but didn't see anything. Grass was very long and started raining again. At mestel dam we only saw about 5 hippo's in the water. Not a bad start for the first day. We struggeld with the fires in camp to have a braai. Was in bed by 10 pm ready for the next day.

Day 2 to continue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:07 pm 

Day 2 (8 April)

Pictures to follow soon. Just need to download them from the camera.

We woke up 5 am and diceded to try the Voortrekker road as it was the first time for us in this area. We first saw 4 (mof hartebeeste) don't know what it is call in english. Rent of the road was really quite. Just before the tar road we saw another white rhino. We had a lovely brunch at afsaal.

We drove back on the voortrekker road and this time we saw some impies and kudu. The sightings board was also looking bad. We believe when it is full moon that you never see anything and it was full moon or luck just was not on our side. The day started getting really hot and we had a afternoon siesta. We woke up up opted for a swim with the children. Feeling cooled of we decided to drive up the Fayi road, S3 and back on the S7 and S10 koppies.

Grass on the S3 is really long so visibilty is really bad even if you travel in a 4x4 bakkie. At the mestel dam there was 2 white rhino's on the oppisite bank. The rest of the road was really dead and we only saw 3 warthogs for the rest of the road. Saw some kudu as well. The most impies we saw was in camp and they started they're mating season. Really enjoyed them. Baboons and monkeys and mongoose is a problem around the camping area. Need to keep everything locked up but the baboons are getting more clever.

Day 3 to continue: and what a good day it was.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:21 pm 

Day 3 ( 9 April )

We woke up at 4 am as we wre booked on a morning walk. It was our first walk and all funny and scary things went through our heads. We started talking about movies like ghost in the darknest and prey. But we decided what the hell anything goes. On our way to our walking trail it was freezing. Our guides names was Lunga and Duncan. We stopped at the place where Jock of the bushveld was born and they said we were going to start our walk here. Just before we stopped we came across a White rhino and here calf. But they ran into the long grass.

The guides explained everything to us and we were off. They first taught us thing of diverent kinds of berries we could eat. Then we came upon very fresh leopard dung. I was really scared and we tried to track it but lost its tracks in the long grass. We next came upon impies only 10 m away and then some zebra about 20 m away. The grass was very long and wet. We were wet from our waist down. Around 8 am we stopped and had some snackes or as Lunga would say (snakes) ans enjoyed mother nature. We looked around and spotted a herd of ellies very far away. Duncan asked if we were up to it and we said yes and started tracking them. Took us 20 min to get to them trough mud and water. We stood about 50 m away and it felt so unreal. We had a look and took some pic's and had to leave as the wind was changing. It was our first walk and not our last. We really learned alot. Even if we grew up in the bush.

We arrived back at camp at 10 am and we had breakfast at the resturaunt and had a savannah and went to bed. We walked 6km so we were tired. We woke up at 2:30pm and diceded which road we were going to take for the afternoon.

To continue: Best yet to come.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 am 

Day 3 continue:

@ Thanks for your reply Pumbaa. I enjoyed every moment in the park. And the sightings made up for all the troubles with the staff.

@Tiggercat if you have done one walk you will be hooked. Best experience I had to be so near to nature. I do recommend it.

@ Pictures almost done will be posting all the pic's together.

We packed our cooler box and decided to drive up the S3 to mestel dam and turn right on the S7 around the koppies on the S10 and back to camp then. Saw a few impie rams on the S3 and at mestel dam everything was quiet and only a few hippo's coming up for air. On the S7 we came upon a few kudu and warthogs. On the S10 we took it very slow as to not miss anything. The koppies are beautiful. Then as we went around the one bent we came apon a white rhino on the rocks walking about. He gave us a great picture oppertunity. Then we had to leave as time was running out.

And then the best moment of all. As we turned into the last piece of gravel road before we get to the tar road we struck gold. I felt like a child a could not believe my eyes. :dance:

In the middle of the road there were 5 lionesses. And you could see they were on theyre way to hunt. Each one of them stopped at our bakkie and looked into our eyes. I got goosebumps all over. That yellow of theyre eyes only lets you know I'm the boss here and you are a guest. And don't mess with me.

We got back to the camp and all our friends were :mrgreen: We had a braai and went to bed early as we diceded to drive to Lower Sabie and back for the next day. We wanted to be fresh and alert.

Day 4 to continue: The big five day

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 pm 

I'm glad you guys are enjoying reading my report. I am really enjoying writting it. :D

Day 4 ( 10 April )

We started off with our flask full of coffee and all the windows down. We drove on the H1-1. Saw some waterbuck at the Shitlave dam and a lonesome hippo. Just as we turned from the S11 gravel road into the H1-1 tar road again we came across 2 dagga bulls lying in the grass. Was our first buffs for the trip. Along the tar road we also saw a common duiker. Just before the koppie after the S65 turnoff we came upon 2 cars parked near a dits. As we stopped we saw the most beautiful male leopard I have ever seen lying among the dead leaves. He was really peasful with all the cars aproaching. He just laid there and groomed himself.

We turned on the H4-1 and saw plenty of impies ans warthogs. Just before the H12 bridge we came apon a traffic jam. We took out our binoculars and started looking in the middel of the bush. We couldn't make out were everybody was looking at. My friend and I thought it was a leopard on the river bank but could not find anything. Then her husband told us to just look below us on the nearest bank. There he was king of the jungle. A huge male lion lying in the reeds. But he was not in the mood for pic's. Got 2 pic's of him but was not our best of male lion.

We stopped at Nkuhlu for a brunch. We were stuffed like pigs as we left for Lower Sabie. We had a stop there to have a ice-cream and we left. We took the S28 to the hide. At the hide there were to many cars parked to get out but we came across some impies and wildebees and a rhino lying under a tree. We turned towards Duke's waterhole but found nothing. As we turned towards the tar road (H4-2) we came across a huge hurd of zebra and some giraffe at a small waterhole drinking water. The was also 2 rhino lying in the shade.

We traveled along the tar road and turned on the H5 turning again at the S26. On this gravel road we came across our first ellies for the day. Our big 5 for the day complete. We also saw 3 rhino's on this road.

We stopped at afsaal for a break and went back via the voortrekker road. We only saw another 2 rhino with a really small baby calf. I almost forgot. At the sunset dam at lower sabie all the hippo's was walking on the banks and the one mom had a really samll baby hippo but he didn't like us taking pic's.

We arrived at camp really tired but very happy.

Day 5 to continue: sadess day of my life.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:29 am 

Hi everybody. Sorry for only getting back on the forum today. Was really busy. Just want to let you all know that the :cam: and the final installment on the trip will follow by tommorow morning.

Thanks to all the replies :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 am 

Hi you guys. Sorry for taking so long. :redface:
But here they are some of the long awaited pic's and the last piece of the trip report.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:52 am 

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 am 

Day 5 My sadess day in the park.

We got up at 5 the morning and decided to drive towards skukuza. It was starting to get hot early in the morning. Just before Transport dam's turn-off we came across a few cars. We stopped and had a look around to see what was been spotted. We looked and saw only the small ears. It was 2 cheetah luying in the grass. Spotting them was hard with the long grass. We waited and decided to leave as it looked like they were not going to stand up or move around.

A car from the front stooped us and said if we took the tar road towards malalane about 2 km on the road there was a pride of lions in the road. We were really happy and turned on the road. But luck was not on our side. As we approaced the area there was still a few cars around but they told us they got up and were in the thick bushes. We decide to go and look at renosterkoppies waterhole and get back on the tar road to go to Nkuhle picnic site. At the T junction at the waterhole we turned left towards skukuza and a safari vechile stopped us to say if we turned to the left we will see two rhino's right next to the road. We decided against it as we started getting hungry and had a long road ahead to brunch.

As we drove futher on the gravel road we came across a mother and father duck with theyre 12 baby ducklings crossing the road. I'm not good with birds. They were brownish and the one had a white circle around its eyes. The ducklings must have been maybe 3 days old. We stopped and had a look at them as they crossed the road. The next moment my friends SO started yelling and as we looked to our right there was a troop of baboons and really big ones. The ducks were walking right towards them. The next part will always haunt my dreams. The baboons started grabbing the ducklings and started tearing them apart and eating them. It was really cruel. Some of the big baboons had one duckling in its mounth and already started tearing the next one apart. The mother and father took off flying above us and kept flying in circles calling there babies. But there were none left. The baboons killed all 12 the little ducklings. I was to schocked to have taken any pic but the memory will forever be burned into my head.

We all lost our appitedes and drove on. We didn't talk as well as we all could believe what we just saw. On the tar road we came across some impies. We had buffalo pie at the picnic spot and drived back via skukuza to pretoriuskop. We didn't see many animals as it was really hot and we didn't feel happy as it was a really sad day for us. Even if it is nature. And the circle of live it still scoked us.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]