BnDal
Pkop

Balule??????

And the new one: Tsendze

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Scratch Olifants, no camping. Letaba is rated one of the best camping sites every year by the readers of Caravan and Outdoor Life, whereas Balule is the real roughing-it camping site.

I'd opine that to say you've had the complete KNP experience, at least one night in Balule is called for! ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:55 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Mgoddard wrote:
In my view, these are the camps offering camping:
(...)
Olifants
Balule??????

Strike out Olifants, and enter Balule. :wink: And as said Tsendze. You will love Balule, as well as it's surroundings. Power is a bit of a problem, but only for photography. Keep an eye on Punda as well for that, not all campingsites have power!
And why not add Overnight hides? Sable and Shipandani?
Mgoddard wrote:
Just a note, I have decided to stay inside the park for 1 year, so no trips out to do shopping or explore other places, only the Park.

That's a pity for Mapungubwe and Marakele.....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I agree with Perks!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Perks. wrote:
Scratch Olifants, no camping.
I'd opine that to say you've had the complete KNP experience, at least one night in Balule is called for! ;)

Thanks Perks, see on the KNP Map they show a little caravan sign at Olifants, only knew now after your post that no camping!
So Balule it will have to be, bit scared though, hope its full with lots of ppl. :redface:

DQ I am going in a caravan, so unfortunately will not stay over in hides, will check out Punda for power, otherwise will have to take candles with me :D It would be a problem to charge phones, batteries, etc. but sure I can make a plan with the camp staff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:27 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Get yourself a bunch of chargers which you can fit into the lighter of the car. That will keep the batteries charged...

And you will love Balule! Having dinner with the hyeana's just 2 meters away from you is good fun! (The fence is quite good. :wink: )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

If you don't intend leaving the park at all and you need beers, stock up well at Shingwedzi. A tray of 24 x 340ml cans is R142 (not in the fridge) all other camps charge R10 per can which is R240 per tray :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Get a rechargable camping lantern that can be charged using a wall socket or a car cigarette lighter. Charge it at camps with power or while you are driving around. :D

Post subject: Makhulutrip
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:26 pm 
Brilliant, Perks!

I would suggest contacting Raymond at Skukuza if you really want publicity, and heed his advice.

Unfortunately, I don't know if many companies would bite, unless there is perhaps some charity angle!? Who knows?

Definitely shop outside the Park. Website is also a good idea. And start booking!

(Remember, you will have plenty of time to change your bookings once inside the Park)

Good Luck

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All,once again thanks for the advice...I will definitely have a rechargable lamp (see below), already got one..
DQues, like so much advice you've given before, I will keep this in mind, and am currently looking at buying more bat for my cam..
Synyetse, I also already have a rechargable lantern, not sure what light it gives in the am, but sure it's sufficient to find my way to ablutions,.
Freda, I'm quite shock by the prices you qoute, as last July i paid appr. 135 per case ( not in fridge) at every camp I stayed in, not dining room, only shop....(please advice if this has changed)
Stoffel, I will certainly add Tzendse to my list.
Perks, you quite outspoken on the forum,but I like ur style, although many ppl would not like your arrogance! I do intent to make my trip known and hopefully "entice" some sponsors. As said before, sponsors can paint my whole caravan, the distances I'm going to travel wont impact on me parked in a "shady corner" I like the idea of getting to know the camp staff, but still dont think that security in Kruger is necessary, althoug I will lock the door of my caravan.....

Post subject: How many beers tonight?!?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
Hello mgoddard.

I don't think perks is the "arrogant" one!?!

I'll take credit...

What happened to SO?

(And why hoping you won't be "alone" in Balule?)
Good Luck

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi mgoddard

I think that it is wonderful that you are following your dream. Most of us jut keep dreaming and never do anything about it. I once read in the WEG magazine about a married 40 plus South African lady who has trekked alone across a frozen lake in Canada (??), one of many other such adventures. If she can do that then why can't you do this?

My wife and I stayed in a canvas tent in the Zimbabwe lowveld for two years. It does get quite hot inside the tent in the daytime especially in summer but nights are actually quite pleasant. My wife also often stayed alone and she quickly learnt to deal with the snakes and goggas.

Go for it, living in the bush is a fantastic experience and believe me once you return home you will miss it incredibly, I do.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Senyetse wrote:
Hi mgoddard

I think that it is wonderful that you are following your dream. Most of us jut keep dreaming and never do anything about it.

Go for it, living in the bush is a fantastic experience and believe me once you return home you will miss it incredibly, I do.

Senyetse, your words are so true....I lost a very dear friend of mine a few years ago and I think the idea started there already...also just lost someone that was like a child to me, and that just made me more determined to live my dream while alive! I think my husband thinks that this year in the Park will cure me forever, so I will hide your comment from him until I come back so I can claim withdrawl symptoms :redface:

Hi RP
So is around, just in Paris at the moment....will c him when I c him, as said b4, he is usually the one to go for weeks or days at a time, now its my turn....He did promise to come visit me for our 25th Wedding Anniversary!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:49 pm 

I just had a brilliant idea, Mgoddard :lol:
As you don't intend leaving the park for a year, I can deliver your essentials say once a month to which ever camp you are in :wink: Just SMS or email the shopping list.
I am always looking for excuses to go to Kruger :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :roll: What took you so long to think of this ploy, Freda? :tongue: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next