Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 7
 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 am 

Wow mgoddard - sounds a potentially fantastic experience.

I do know what it's like to "live the dream for a year" as spent a year travelling Oz & southern Africa with my wife and 3 kids a couple of years ago - back into normal life now, considerably poorer, but no regrets!!

Just a couple of points:

Your email address on the sanparks webpage is incorrect - I assume it should be "kruger" and not "kurger" :roll: :wink: .

Secondly, I don't know whether you're worried about malaria - as an overseas visitor it's the first thing we're warned about, but no-one has mentioned it on the forum so don't know whether the "locals" are immune / not too worried / don't care! Extended periods on anti-malarials is not recommended.

Would be interested in any feedback on this.

Sounds a fantastic opportunity - dead jealous. Have a blast!!

John

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Senyetse I am definately buying a 2nd hand caravan and got some useful information from ecojunkie on where to look. I will meet these people in April to start looking for a caravan.

Zimreef thank you so much for the information. I will ask Di to rectify the address, I did not even see that and glad you picked it up quickly.

I do know malaria is a problem in summer months, but will take precaution as I will be entering the Park in Summer and leave in Summer. Its a topic that is regularly discussed on the forum.

It sounds like you had a wonderful experience, not just travelling by yourself but with wife and 3 kids. I am sure its something the children will never forget.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So its time for an update.....first of all a forum member by the name of Muhammed has offered me some camping equipment - Thank you Muhammed, I will definately take you up on that!! - I have had a very positive response from Wildlife campus..giving me access to all their courses so I can talk some sense when telling you interesting facts about the animals..still waiting for a few others to come through :)

I have booked Tamboti for the big occassion, our 25th anniversay!! from 8 - 10 January 2009 and will leave from there to either Croc Bridge or LSabie to start my adventure. I think my husband is getting a bit stressed at the moment as its all so much to take in..all I sleep, eat and drink is MY YEAR IN KRUGER...I wonder how he will react when its time to say goodbye :cry:

I also had positive feedback from my boss..can you believe it...the only condition is that I MUST COME BACK!! who knows the Kgalagadi looks very inviting at the moment with all the trip reports.. :redface:

Once again thank you all for your support and reading all about My Dream. Until the next update.......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And with the help of Gwendolen you can read all about it on the links provided in my signature...Once again, thanks Gwen :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My pleasure, glad I can help. :wink:

Great news about the sponsors, very cool of Wildlife campus. And Muhammed, :clap: you are such a special forumite! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mgoddard, I can sense the excitement already... Will you be posting a trip plan in advance (when available)? this would be useful for any one wanting to know in advance your location and timing. Perhaps a few meets can be set up prior with other YR's.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ollie and everyone else...the plan at the moment is to spend my 25th anniversary at Tamboti...(15 tents booked) from 8 - 10 Jan...big celebration breakfast at Timbavati on Sat morn... 10th Jan...although my 25th is on the 7th that is the day I drive into the park...as said before...If I start in Summer I will start from the south to be at Punda in winter...so the plan (to be confirmed) is to drive from Tamboti to LS or CB and spend my first 2 wks..or so there , I am sure once the blog is up u will be able to see my whole program, and YES IM LOOKING fwd to more than a FEW MEETS....Just fly yr YR and I will C U...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is my planned route...any advise really appreciated!!

From To Camp No of Days
25th Wedding anniversary at Tamboti from 8 -10th January
11-Jan-09 to 1-Feb-09 L/Sabie 21
1-Feb-09 to 15-Feb-09 Skukuza 14
15-Feb-09to 8-Mar-09 BnDal 21
8-Mar-09 to 29-Mar-09 P/Kop 21
29-Mar-09to 5-Apr-09 Skukuza 7
5-Apr-09 to 26-Apr-09 Satara 21

26-Apr-09 to 17-May-09 Maroela 21
17-May-09 to 31-May-09 Balule 14
31-May-09 to 21-Jun-09 Letaba 21

21-Jun-09 to 5-Jul-09 Tsendze 14

5-Jul-09 to 26-Jul-09 Shingwedzi 21

26-Jul-09 to 16-Aug-09 Punda Maria 21

16-Aug-09 to 6-Sep-09 Letaba 21

6-Sep-09 to 13 Sep-09 Balule 7

13-Sep-09 to 4 Oct-09 Satara 21
4-Oct-09 to 18-Oct-09 Maroela 14

18-Oct-09 to 1-Nov-09 Skukuza 14
1-Nov-09 to 22-Nov-09 P/Kop 21
22-Nov-09 to 13-Dec-09 BnDal 21
13-Dec-09 to 20-Dec-08 Skukuza 7
20-Dec-09 to 3-Jan-10 L/Sabie 14
3-Jan-10 to 11-Jan-10 C Bridge 8

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ollie and weesy and all others out there, I would be delighted to meet up with as many of you as possible...as said,this is only a prelimanary plan..it could change..I am still waiting for online bookings to open, once that does, I will book camps in advance, but still 3 months to wait and then it comes alive, month by month...I've had some news, but it has to wait until confirmed, then I will post it for all to see whats happening..Only 28 days till Im in S.A for my yearly visit..great news is that my SO will be with me for this visit...and the girls will be with us for about 4 days...so sad to live so far away, but we have decided that as they love the park so much they have to come for a few days...cant wait to see them and hear from all of you..., just know I will post my experiences, sightings, etc on a daily basis again in April...

Once again, thanks for your support, advice and reading all about my dream.

Regards
Mgoddard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now back in Doha.... :( I had an awesome time in the Park, sadly only 14 days...as promised an update on My Year!!! :D I had a hectic time in S.A looking for a caravan, but good news is I bought one....see news down..

Some very dissapointing news is that some things that were promised is now not happening....but thats life and anyway my dream lives on regardless of the setbacks.

I have bought my caravan..... :D :D :D a 1996 Sprite Super Sport, its absolutely lovely and Im hoping to post some pics soon...

I have also booked LS, BnD and PKop for the first 10 weeks starting on January 10, 2009 and will continue to book the other camps as the months go by...Will keep you posted.

Only 8 months to go and still soooo much to prepare and organise...keep watching this space for all my news... :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Paid the final amount yesterday....NOW I can show you my caravan. :D :D My HOME for the YEAR :D :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks all for the nice comments about my HOME! A 6 pack :D think a little more than that :D

A quick update....today I went to the Embassy here to renew my passport as it expires in Feb 2009...What a surprise to hear it will take approximately 6 MONTHS :roll: :shock: to receive the new one.....that leaves me with about 3 weeks before I start my trip :roll: I hope all goes well and I do get it before the time as I also have to renew my RP (Residence Permit) for here :roll: :shock: so some very tense months ahead....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rusky...I had so many offers of cooks, campers, drivers etc......but on a serious note the Following:

I HAVE JUST BEEN TOLD THAT I CANNOT RENEW MY RP (Residence permit if not in the country) :? So I have to re group and re schedule my plans....It know seems like I have to postpone my trip till 1st may 2009!!!!! :shock: I hope you all understand without this job my trip will never be possible :( /.////.....Also, on a positive note....I have made a photobook for my sponsors and still waiting their feedback...sorry Muhammed still got to send u one.......when it arrives....in the meantime I will get whatever is needed to make my trip comfortable and believable to all....hold thumbs nothing else goes wrong@!!!!

Thanks to all who is following my dream....I certainly hope this is the last of dissapointments...

Martie Goddard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

For your information:

The following article published in The Lowvelder Newspaper today:

http://www.lowvelder.co.za/show_story.asp?storyid=10489

Post subject: Re: Staying in Kruger for 1 year
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As promised I will keep you updated....another snag :evil: I have booked the first 3 months and now wanted to book the 4th month as I can only book 11 months in advance :( and can you believe.....NOT even 1 caravan stand available at either Letaba, Balule, Satara or Maroela :shock: What am I going to do :evil: :evil:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next