Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 7
 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Get a rechargable camping lantern that can be charged using a wall socket or a car cigarette lighter. Charge it at camps with power or while you are driving around. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All,once again thanks for the advice...I will definitely have a rechargable lamp (see below), already got one..
DQues, like so much advice you've given before, I will keep this in mind, and am currently looking at buying more bat for my cam..
Synyetse, I also already have a rechargable lantern, not sure what light it gives in the am, but sure it's sufficient to find my way to ablutions,.
Freda, I'm quite shock by the prices you qoute, as last July i paid appr. 135 per case ( not in fridge) at every camp I stayed in, not dining room, only shop....(please advice if this has changed)
Stoffel, I will certainly add Tzendse to my list.
Perks, you quite outspoken on the forum,but I like ur style, although many ppl would not like your arrogance! I do intent to make my trip known and hopefully "entice" some sponsors. As said before, sponsors can paint my whole caravan, the distances I'm going to travel wont impact on me parked in a "shady corner" I like the idea of getting to know the camp staff, but still dont think that security in Kruger is necessary, althoug I will lock the door of my caravan.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi mgoddard

I think that it is wonderful that you are following your dream. Most of us jut keep dreaming and never do anything about it. I once read in the WEG magazine about a married 40 plus South African lady who has trekked alone across a frozen lake in Canada (??), one of many other such adventures. If she can do that then why can't you do this?

My wife and I stayed in a canvas tent in the Zimbabwe lowveld for two years. It does get quite hot inside the tent in the daytime especially in summer but nights are actually quite pleasant. My wife also often stayed alone and she quickly learnt to deal with the snakes and goggas.

Go for it, living in the bush is a fantastic experience and believe me once you return home you will miss it incredibly, I do.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Senyetse wrote:
Hi mgoddard

I think that it is wonderful that you are following your dream. Most of us jut keep dreaming and never do anything about it.

Go for it, living in the bush is a fantastic experience and believe me once you return home you will miss it incredibly, I do.

Senyetse, your words are so true....I lost a very dear friend of mine a few years ago and I think the idea started there already...also just lost someone that was like a child to me, and that just made me more determined to live my dream while alive! I think my husband thinks that this year in the Park will cure me forever, so I will hide your comment from him until I come back so I can claim withdrawl symptoms :redface:

Hi RP
So is around, just in Paris at the moment....will c him when I c him, as said b4, he is usually the one to go for weeks or days at a time, now its my turn....He did promise to come visit me for our 25th Wedding Anniversary!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Freda, think there will be a lot of formumites willing to do this, but look forward to U bringing my supplies, pity its such a long way to drive, but as u the first to offer, sure it will be special! Does this mean I have to buy a bigger caravan to provide accommodation for you!!! Skillie, unfortunately or fortunately I am in Kruger for 10 days in July, MY YEAR in the Park will only start in ???????? (cant say, still waiting for confirmation)but as planned previously 4 years :evil: ....I am sure by that time you will be there again, looking forward to meeting u as well :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:18 pm 

Wow Mg !!!! :mrgreen:
Just read through this thread and what a fantastic opportunity for you. My SO and I have a similar dream for when we retire. We want to buy a motor home, tow a small jeep behind, and tour Kruger for as long as we want to. The jeep is high for game viewing and economical and then we don't have to move the motor home around too much.
I don't think I can give you any more advice. As you probably know, once you are in the park, it is relatively easy to change your bookings so I don't think it is so critical to make a perfect booking ahead of time. As long as you are booked a couple of months ahead, it should be fine, especially if you book camping.
I will be following your progress with much interest.
Here is an extract from a quote you might be familiar with:
"If I had my life to live over, I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual problems and less imaginary ones. I would have more moments. In fact, I will try to have nothing else. Just moments one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day..................(Nadine Stair, 85 yrs of age).
May you have a year of unforgettable moments.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All
Once again thanks for all the advice...Freda I wish I was u who's going to stay so close for ever...and not just one year. I will definately SMS u my shopping/beer list.
Jpvn thanks for the advice, I will definately have a look when in S.A now for an inverter as I have a mobile, cam, gps and laptop to keep going all the time. I have mentioned to SO that having a back up cam is something I did not think about. I am currently working on him to look at something better (maybe the Canon EOS 400D) would be a good option. Up till now he is not replying or even blinking an eye. So will have to wait and see what Christmas brings :D
Vos, I wish you all the best and hope that once you retire you have the option of also living your dream. I think if you have read from the beginning you would see that I did consider a motorhome, but as SO just bought me a new nissan dcab in December, he will not take the bait for this one, therefor the decision to buy a caravan.
Elsa I am still waiting for confirmation, but yes the planning is the most interesting part until I get to the Park. Will post photo's when entering (hopefully not too long)
Scout, I have thought about that and have in the last month bought just about all I need ...I have 2 x 2GB, 2 x 1GB and a 512 memory cards. I have also bought an external hard drive 120GB which I was told can hold appr. 34000 pics..maybe need to get another one, but then again that would give me almost 3000 pics per month storage.

Once again, I thank all of you for taking the time in making sure I do not forget anything. I check this thread every few days, and apologise if I leave anyone out when replying.

Still holding thumbs :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All
Once again thanks for all your support and advice. As mentioned a few weeks ago I had some exciting news, but could not say too much. Now I can!! :dance:

My initial plan of staying in Kruger in 4 years time has just been changed! :D I now have a possibility of 2 dates to actually LEAVE and LIVE my DREAM!

Hopefully it will be rather the first than the second date, depends of what transpires in the next few weeks.

THESE ARE THE DATES:

Enter the Park on the 1st July 2008 at Punda Maria 375 days
or

Enter the Park on the 1st Jan 2009 at Croc Bridge :D 559 days

Now the serious planning starts :dance:

Last edited by Mgoddard on Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

First of all I would like to give a big thank you to Stomstom :dance: , although he/she did not post any comment on this thread, I was offered an invertor to help me keep all my equipment charged and ready to shoot...Thank you stomstom, :clap: I will be in touch via PM :D

I will be leaving to S.A for my annual holiday this Friday (not my year in the Park) for 7 weeks. I will try and connect whenever possible and keep you all updated on the progress of my trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All...well im in S.A, sitting on my bed and looking at the big blue ocean rolling towards me.....
I had a mtg with a very important lady..and now the big planning starts for my trip...will design the web page this week and then start looking for my sponsors...wish m luck...only 3 wks and will be in KNP for 10 days :( only....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Why not an, "if I had to live my life over", sponsership from our very own forum.

Why not highlight that most folks die without living a dream.. why not be a part of creating a really crazy space where folks can watch and become intrigued by one person's journey.

Why not be, "Kruger's reality show".

this is not play, play, it is serious.

MM that is exactly what I am going to do..live my dream :D The idea is to post dialy reports and video's depending on availability of internet connection..I am hoping to get the whole world involve in a Kruger Reality Show :D
The great News is that I will be hosted on this SANParks website with links to reports, videos, photos and information..Its going to be great and I cant wait :D

DQ I hope yr 3 months flies by quickly..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Its been a while since I post on this thread, but a lot happened in the last 3 months....I had my time in the Park, way, way to short only 10 days..........For all those dedicated and delightfull ppl out there, watch this space....in a few days you will c something very different...(to let you in on the secret) a page of my own on the Sanparks site...a blog.....and hopefully sponsors :D
A big thank you to Dianne and Slodovia (hope I spelled that correctly :redface: ) for all their help and assistance and putting up with my nonsense.. and help me make this happen soon:redface:
I am still dreaming very big and cant wait for it all to happen :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just sat and read through the whole thread. What an adventure. All the advice and stuff is great. Don't worry about Balule, it is very popular and you will most probable need to book a month or two in advance to get in there, you won't be alone.
You don't need to worry about power in Punda. If you want to be close to the fence, then you need a looooong extention cord (which you need to take with in any case camping in Kruger) or just set your camp closer to a power point and enjoy the view from the bird hide next to the fence.
For both Balule and Tsendze, if you plan to stay longer than 3 days, opt for a gas fridge in the caravan, due to the power issue. There are communal kitchens with fridges, you may put your stuff in there. Most people will leave your good alone. Your lanterns can be charged during the day.
At Balule they have a gas lamp in the ablutions burning all night. It is a small camp and if it id full moon you won't even need a torch to go there at night.
Tsendze has light in the ablutions as well as solar light for the pathway to the ablutions.

Post subject: year in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hi,

Just found this thread. I live so near Kruger I refer to it as my front garden! Visit at least once each week.... But day trips are not enough.... So I first bought a tent, and coped with that reasonably well on my own (did not say - I am a single lady past my younger stronger years!). But now I have an old caravan which I bought quite cheaply and it is really great. I cope with it alone. Have not tried the awning yet because I am told I would struggle too much alone, but instead have a gazebo which is really easy to erect, and clears the door so can be placed almost over the entrance.

The point is mgoddard - you will be fine! I always feel totally
safe in Kruger on my own, and do not have to consider anyone else (apart from being considerate to other park users of course!!!!!)

Again I can probably help with some supplies etc..... and on one of my trips!

I actually teased folk a while back saying I was going to LIVE in Kruger in my caravan!

Ecojunkie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A lot has happened in the last few months.....i had to make arrangements, living in the Gulf made it more difficult to arrange....my Passport expires Jan 2009, no problem the embassy will sort that our, but my Residence Permit (required to stay in Doha) expires beginning 2009 so I have to be in the country to renew that....Di (thanks Di) got my webpage up and ready to use...read all about it here....
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/year_in_knp/default.php
"Sorry not sure how to make a proper link....
I am still looking for sponsors, not much sucess at the moment, but now decided I dont care if I stay in a Caravan or a tent...7 Jan 2009, on my 25 wedding anniversary I am getting into the Park....
I know 1 year is a long time to wait to read all about it, but I just wanted you all to know that I have not forgotten about "Living My Dream" its just taking a bit long, at least not 7 years as I anticipated at first, but only ONE YEAR to GO!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next