Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 7
 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

totaly disagree Richprins (haai what's new :twisted: ) You'll never know if you can survive living like this until you try, and you wont really try if you know you have a quick deadline for leaving. Set out for a year, if you dont make it, well it was an adventure and at least you tried, if you do make it, it is.....find out for yourself :wink: :lol:
No guts, no glory.....

and as for the relationship surviving, I know far more relationships that have not survived the TV :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Once again, I read all the comments and must say, I cannot agree with some! Richprins my SO and I have been together for almost 25yrs and have survived being apart for long times before. The only difference is this time its ME setting off on an adventure.
I do realize that I might not make the year, but hey, go with a possitive mind and enjoy every minute you can. I have been going to the Park for the last 30 yrs and so far have never had enough at the end of a 10 day stay....
I do like the idea of a campervan, just park and sleep, but as said previously my SO will have a heart attack if I now ask for that on top of the thousands required to live this dream...so will have to stick to original plan of huts, but will take a tent etc with me incase of non availability at camps.
I will have to start taking equipment, clothes etc to S.A at least the year before the start of this due to weight restrictions on the plane, unless I freight some items, but too costly
Once again, thanks to all who have given me some great advise. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nobody said this -
Make sure you get an economical vehicle !!!

Seriously though , check out some caravan websites , and even mail them versus the buying and selling of a small caravan .
You could probably buy one for R40k and sell it for R35k on the way out , they hold grand value .

R300 per night saving is not to be sniffed at .
(300x300 = R90000.00)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After reading all the comments again, my SO and I have decided that I should buy a little caravan...not too fancy, giving me the essentials..it would kill two flies at once..enjoy my stay and save money by selling it upon my exit..I dont think its that difficult to tow it down and as I intent staying a one camp for about 2 weeks, it should not be a problem.
The most difficult part of this whole experience is going to try and convince SAB to sponsor my drinks :D , as I cannot afford to have a case a day for one year :o Any suggestions on how to approach them :?:

Post subject: Staying in Kruger for 1 year
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mgoddard.

Staying in Kruger for 1 year is only a dream.
Many people would love to do that, but there is a speed hump in the road.
Having worked for the SA government in an overseas mission for eight and a half years, i had a lot to do with visas.
Illegals have no trouble at all in achieving their dreams.
Legals face huge barriers in achieving their dreams.
Unless you have SA citizenship,you will have to show that you have unlimited funding behind you. You will find that you will have a battle on your hands to achieve this dream.
I hope that your dreams come true, but be prepared. I don't want to see this happen to any forumites. :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

First of all prings, I am a S.A citizen living overseas, have been for the last 10 yrs, so no problem..
Also, I have been going to the Park for a long time and know very well by now that a case a day is required (minimum of 18), if you calculate that over the 10 hrs driving or sitting at waterholes it is less than 2 per hour, and not much left for the braai at night.
Hey, I have no problem SAB can paint my whole caravan in their colors as long as they sponsor me :D .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A case a day , hectic :twisted: .

You wont be sorry about choosing the caravan route ,I have stayed in Kruger in all the different accomodation options , from sleeping in the car right through to the biggest huts , and the caravan is my favourite from both cost,convenience and comfort reasons .
Towing in the park is easy , just don't stop at elephants , or approach them to close when they are in the road , I normally line up so that I can make a complete turn if they approach me to avoid reversing .

There are plenty second hand ones that have aircons fitted , or even get a new aircon fitted (One that can heat and cool) .
I think the heat is one of the big challenges living in the bush for that time period .
Another thing to look at is a quick pull out awning , The standard awning is easy enough to putt out by yourself though , but these options can be discussed at the dealership .
Make sure they have sidewalls to stop winds etc .

Post subject: Re: Staying in Kruger for 1 year
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

naomirsa wrote:
My dream is to stay for 20 days only. Have never managed that as I'm female and my hubby will never allow me to go to Kruger alone!

I hope your dream will come true, one day. Lots of angels go to the park alone. Have a look at this thread: Travelling Alone in the Park :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all formumites
A month has passed since my last post, I had a look again at all the posts and have decided to buy a little caravan.
Now the big decisions...how to get sponsorships..like richprins says a case a day is a lot, yes, money wise it is...but it would add to my adventure.
These are my thoughts...any advice would be greatly appreciated:
My decisions (with ur input, it might change again):
Buy a little caravan and stay 2 wks at each camp) I wil leave here July and start in the north while its cooler and work my way down, then start from the South and work my way up, to be back where I started in the North one year later...
Got MTN wireless connection (already done) and send online reports on where I am and what I'm seeing. Depending how this work in July, I might stay with this or try another provider.
My problem:
Cost: Worked out, with accom (biggest cut), food and beer (2nd biggest) and then diesel (sorry drive a diesel, so make lots of noise while u watching ur biggest sighting of the day, but cant help as that is what I have) I need about R400 000,00.
Sponsorships:
It would be great for SAB and whoever makes Amarula (seeing that most of u have this mix into cofee to wake u up)to paint my caravan and supply something towards my trip....whoever has petrol station in the park to supply something towards my expenses....whoever has the most coverage (wireless) to cover some cost towards my daily/weekly (although I would love to spot something and post it on the sight immediately, or sit at a waterhole and send online pics) reports....

Failing all the above sponsors,,,,I have to do it by myself...and I will, Just think about all these ppl loosing out on all the publicity!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow! What an experience!

A R30K caravan retrofitted with aircon would be first prize, because it does offer more shelter in extreme weather either way, but a multi-roomed canvas tent with an additional shade-cover would be an even cheaper alternative. Take a fan, or a portable aircon (around R800 IIRC).

Sponsorships would be difficult, since you're not promising advertisers exposure, moreso if your caravan is parked away in a shady corner of X camp for weeks on end. You may have to relent and allow some graphics to appear on your vehicle. A website pre-announcing the trip, updated regularly, should attract a large following, and this in turn may entice advertisers.

In terms of beer (and niceties in general), although we like to think we can chug a lot in KNP, and we do, it's from the PoV of being a tourist for that week or few days or whatever, and we return to normality soon thereafter. Spending a whole year in the park, the daily living would soon become such that beer is not the be-all and end-all, like for most of us out in the world.

I think winter up north for the warmth, and down south for the summer months is ideal. For the really hot and awful months (Dec / Jan?), you could even stash your kit, and book into a hut with aircon, to make life more tolerable.

The advantage of so long in the park is that you don't need to do a long trek everyday. If today you feel like vegging in camp, you can. Or if today's drive means 400m to Sunset, and return to camp some hours later, cool. Or you could even leave the park to do shopping, go to Jozi for a weekend, into Mozambique for a break, etc. Time gives options.

And in terms of security, get to know the camp staff and local rangers, and get them to keep an eye out. I reckon the incidence of psychos is reduced in KNP compared to elsewhere. ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All
Just a quick note, today I got some wonderful and exciting news :D Unfortunately I cannot give any of the details now as I just got this, but will surely post more details within the next few days.....wish me luck and I hope it all works out...(Maybe my dream comes true sooner than we all expected) :D

P.S MM still waiting for ur pm...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well seeing that it might happen sooner than I could ever expected or dream of :D , it is time to start planning the route.
I have done nothing but scanned the map from top to bottom and up again. In my view, these are the camps offering camping:
Punda Maria
Shingwedzi
Letaba
Olifants
Satara
Maroela
Skukuza
L/Sabie
P/kop
Croc Bridge
BnDal
Pkop

Balule??????

Thera are not as many roads in the North, and the camps are far apart. I am not sure about Balule, no lights, by myself, etc. I have worked out to drive from Punda to Crooks corner is about 140km...a long way to go....
I am thinking bout 3 wks per camp...11 camps...= 33 wks to go down and that leaves me with 21 wks to get up again. Start in the North winter time and work my way down, arriving back in the North the following winter.

I really appreciate all your comments and advice.

Just a note, I have decided to stay inside the park for 1 year, so no trips out to do shopping or explore other places, only the Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Scratch Olifants, no camping. Letaba is rated one of the best camping sites every year by the readers of Caravan and Outdoor Life, whereas Balule is the real roughing-it camping site.

I'd opine that to say you've had the complete KNP experience, at least one night in Balule is called for! ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:55 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Mgoddard wrote:
In my view, these are the camps offering camping:
(...)
Olifants
Balule??????

Strike out Olifants, and enter Balule. :wink: And as said Tsendze. You will love Balule, as well as it's surroundings. Power is a bit of a problem, but only for photography. Keep an eye on Punda as well for that, not all campingsites have power!
And why not add Overnight hides? Sable and Shipandani?
Mgoddard wrote:
Just a note, I have decided to stay inside the park for 1 year, so no trips out to do shopping or explore other places, only the Park.

That's a pity for Mapungubwe and Marakele.....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Perks. wrote:
Scratch Olifants, no camping.
I'd opine that to say you've had the complete KNP experience, at least one night in Balule is called for! ;)

Thanks Perks, see on the KNP Map they show a little caravan sign at Olifants, only knew now after your post that no camping!
So Balule it will have to be, bit scared though, hope its full with lots of ppl. :redface:

DQ I am going in a caravan, so unfortunately will not stay over in hides, will check out Punda for power, otherwise will have to take candles with me :D It would be a problem to charge phones, batteries, etc. but sure I can make a plan with the camp staff.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next