Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ten days at Tsendze by naomi c : Dec 06
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A quick trip report:
We arrived at Tsendze on 27 December at about 11h30. It was so hot that we only managed to put up the caravan's awning after sundown. Were delighted with our campsite, no 6, though.
Temperature kept on rising until Friday to a never before experienced 46,8 degrees in the shade! Then, thankfully, it started raining and it never got so hot again.
We love to spend time in camp and for the amount of game driving that we did, we really saw a lot. Saw lions with a kill (same ones as Matthew) on our first drive. The most beautifull leopard (a young one and not at all shy) at Middelvlei with no other car in sight - the north rules!! Buffalo by the hundreds and lots of elephant.
Spotted reedbuck on two occasions and saw eland. There were two of them and although we stopped the car as soon as we saw them, they just kept on moving - no chance of a photo. Also saw tsessebe, with young ones.
On our last day I went out alone at 4h30 and got a beautifull male lion in the road.
The nicest thing we saw however, was a lioness with two cubs, still very small. The bigger one of the two really gave her a hard time - wanted to play with everything in sight! When she wanted to cross the road, she had to go back to fetch it. Really something special to see!
Warthog was really scarce - during the whole ten days we had only one sighting.
Saw a slender mongoose with its kill - a very large chameleon!
In camparison to last year the Mopani - Shingwidzi area was really dry. Hope there were more rain after we left.
We saw lots of birds - added three to my lifelist. Had really special sightings of fish and martial eagle.
All in all, as always, a wonderfull trip. Fortunately only have to wait till 27 March, have four nights at Tamboti to look forward to!

Post subject: Ten days at Tsendze
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately no photo's of Tsessebe - they were too far away. Was on the Tropic of Capricorn Loop though.
We got nice photo's of the leopard and quite a few flops. I was the photographer - was on my side of the vehicle - and I was so exited! With the first photo I took, I totally missed the leopard! My husband will never let me live that one down! I am still struggling to upload photo's - will try again.
Just for the record - our Landcruiser is quite a vintage - no aircon. But open windows and a spraybottle with cold water can do wonders! Mopani's ice sales soared - must give them credit - always had ice in stock. Shingwidzi and Letaba had none on the days we drove there.
My three lifers: one quite common and I don't have the English name? - Geelborsstrandloper. The other two I am quite chuffed with - Bronzewinged Courser (see my post on the Stapelkopdam Road) and Eurasian Golden Oriole. Spotted this one from our campsite.
Tsendze is really worth a visit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Naomi for expanding on your 3 lifers , always exciting to be rewarded for your efforts.

Your Geelborsstrandkiewiet is Kittlitz's Plover in English - very posh sounding .

Actualy having no aircon is the "Right thing to do" . Windows open allows much more interaction and sensory experience with the bush .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]