Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Penny and Co : Kruger 2007
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The countdown has started - Penny, Bob the Builder, Ranger Boy, Elsa and Klystron are off to Kruger on Sunday morning.

This is a much awaited trip as Ranger Boy is back from his travels in America where he has been "finding himself" and before going back to the bush full time is joining the family on a trip to Kruger. We are thrilled that Elsa and Klystron are joining us.

After the stupendous trip to KTP in September/October we hope that our beloved Kruger is in a generous mood and allows us wonderful sightings.

We start at Croc Bridge for one night (might have to go through Malelane Gate if the river is still high) and then on Monday we head off to Nshawu house at Olifants for 2 nights, followed by 2 nights at the Rudy Frankel (newly rebuilt) at Satara for 2 nights and then a week at Ngwenya!

We will sms our trip reports through to Foxy who has kindly offered to post them for us. GREAT EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours in Parking
Penny

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Last edited by Penny on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:54 pm 

We are counting down as well Penny, and getting really excited as Sunday gets closer. :D
I am sure we are going to have a great time in Kruger and at those 2 beautiful guest houses.
Stand by folks for some awesome sighting reports :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

News from Penny this evening from Croc Bridge:

"Very hot, seen buffalo, elephant and rhino. Tomorrow we are going to try and leave camp at 04h30 for Oliphants."

Hope they have as many great sightings as we had 2 weeks ago.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Latest news just received from Penny & Elsa

Quote:
So cold we are wearing jerseys. Lion stalking giraffe on S28

Sounds like they having a good time :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Latest news from Penny & Elsa received @ 19h10

Quote:
8 wilddog just before Olifants turn on tar and elephant of huge proportioms held us up just before camp. Nshawu Guest House is awesome but no wine opener. Going north tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

News just in from Penny & Elsa

Quote:
Tssessebe at Makhadzi and a huge tusker this morning and a hyena this evening. Tomorrow we are off to Satara and the S100

I am sure they would have bought a corkscrew at the shop at Olifants or made some other plan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

News in from Penny/Elsa at 12h39 today

Quote:
4 Days in the park and only two lion so far but 9 wild dog and hundreds of elephant, but it is very hot. We did the S100 this morning and saw nohting so we will try the Sweni this afternoon and tomorrow we in to timeshare for a week at Ngwenya.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Did not have to send wake up message, Elsa beat me too it (hate it when she reads my mind like that)

Elsa says
Quote:
"Going into park for the final day today (that is Elsa and Klystron), home tomorrow. Saw brief look at leopard yesterday. Male lion at our water hole at Satara. Other than that game fairly hard to spot."

Hmmm, lion, leopard and wild dog, sounds alright to me.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

News received late last night from Penny & Elsa

"Male lion at our private water hole on Thursday night and leopard on Nwatisonto loop. Long day today, no cats again but 19 rhino, three of them black and one dead one with over a hundred vultures. Taking Elsa & Klystron to the airport tomorrow. Next report on Monday"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:51 am 

Hi all,
the first two bush wackers have returned, :( leaving the others to continue with the quest.
After a week of early morning starts and only getting back to camp as the gates slammed shut behind us, with extremely high temperatures other than the first day, I must admit to feeling somewhat weary but exhilarated at the same time. :D
All in all, I would say we have had a very successful trip, not in terms of high counts of the animals but the fact that we did see the true Big 5, (my first black rhino sighting in Kruger) and then some of the lesser spotted animals as well, Wild dogs,Tssebe, BB Jackal etc.
We have decided that I will do the first weeks trip report and Penny the latter part, as I promise you no matter what side of the car we were sitting on we did get to see the same things, Bert. :wink:
Klystron, my chief pic resizer, has already had to depart on his next business trip, so I will get to it asap.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

News just in from Penny

On the voice message she left, Pen said that on the patio of their chalet in the shade at Ngweny, the temp was 63 degC to-day and they are going into the park early tomorrow morning when it is cool!

Her sms received 10 min ago

Quote:
"Had a fantastic morning in the park, 3000 (yes 3000) buffalo, 11 lion, leopard right next to us for over an hour plus elephant everywhere and a serval alongside the sugar cane field before we even got to the gate. In at 5h30 again tomorrow,"

Wow, sounds like they had a wonderful day - but very pleased I am not there in the heat.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:06 pm 

A call just in from Penny,

Out the gate at 5.30am, light rain and cooler, pride of lions on the H4-2 just before the H5, walking in the road, playing with tortoises etc. :?
They went back to the Leopard and cub area but no luck today.
Sable antelope on the S30 Saltjie Road. Wow.
Back to the lodge, sitting on the balcony with 20 Elephants in the Croc River right in front.
Doesn't get too much better than that. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:37 pm 

Message just in from Penny and I'm not sure I should be relaying it. :mrgreen:

"Big 5 before 10am this morning, Leopard on the S25 and Lions in the river bed where the H5 meets the tar.
Still no luck with the Leopard and cub again, 8 kms from L.Sabie, if big bus could not see it then we most probably couldn't as well."

We definitely left too early. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:55 pm 

Day 1. Sunday. 7th Nov.

After much planning, plotting and high hopes, the great day finally arrived, well before dawn for those who had set the alarm clock too early by an hour. :shock:
So it was with great excitement that we waited for Penny, Bob the builder, Ranger Son and son of Jay's arrival and when they did, their huge Caravelle was packed to the very roof and every other available spot as well.
What was not in that vehicle was not worth talking about. :wink:
We had a very smooth and easy drive up through Swaziland, arriving at Croc Bridge around 1pm.
Driving across the now thankfully opened low level bridge into camp is always such a thrill, eyes peeled to see the first animal.
We checked in, but so disappointed to see the sightings board there in such disarray with not a single pin left and only a book available which is not being utilised much. :(
Our allotted bungalows were #8 & 9 which were very nicely placed right at the fence overlooking the river,and a safarie tent for the boys.
It was extremely hot and after unpacking all our cold items we relaxed on our verandah watching some old Buffs grazing in the river.
Also vervets gambolling in the trees, trying to look appealing enough to earn a few titbits.
2 bushbuck wandering past the fence and lovely variety of birds flitting in the trees.
We decided to go for a drive and it was our choice of route.
Left camp, drove up the H4-2
Saw W/Hogs, Impalas with young everywhere, Giraffe, W Rhino, Ellies at the H5 turnoff and some Whitebacked Vultures.
S82.
Unfortunately nothing more than the usual plus a B. Coucal and this lovely tree which I think is called Acacia Garraddii, or something along those lines. :roll:

Quick pit stop at L.S. then on the road again.
More Ellies and a lovely Fish Eagle posing so beautifully.

S28

Water Buck and the usual plus some Helmetted G. Fowl, pretty Lilac Breasted Rollers, Brown headed Parrots, Swainsons Francolin and the ever present Ellies but all comfortably off the road much to Penny's relief.
Stopped off at the Nhlanganzwani Dam, which is 13 kms south-east of Lower Sabie. Something cool to drink and sit listening to the Hippos grunts and snorts and a variety of little water birds all scuttling around the water's edge.
Back on the H4-2
and a little detour up to the popular Gezantfombi Dam, which, according to my new book means "the place where the young women bathe"
No young women there this time unless you count the 2 Kudu cows, :wink: also a Martial Eagle and some Hippos.
Last animals before camp are W/beeste, some Ostrich and Zebras.
Back at camp we settle down to a delicious supper of Chicken Kebabs, Jacket Potatoes and fresh salad, prepared by Bob, our excellent chef. :D and washed down with a good few glasses of wine.
Off to bed fairly early, all very tired after our early start and dream of our trip up to Olifants Camps, starting early in the morning.

Last edited by Elsa on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:55 pm 

Day 2 Monday 8th Jan.

H4-2.
Left Croc Bridge early after repacking all the cold items back into cooler boxes and headed off for the long drive up the road with Olifants as our destination. :D
First animal encountered was a "drooling" Hyena, not sure why but he was going places with purpose. :?
Imps, Giraffe, Kudu and and Buffs seen.
Some lovely Wattled Starlings, Black bellied Korhaan which I somehow don't remember seeing before but probably wasn't looking well enough.
A Fish Eagle was sitting on the weir in the Sabie River and continued to do so every single time we passed it by, sometimes with a mate as well.
Crossed the bridge at L. Sabie and the usual Wire Tailed Swallows are sitting on the edge.
Reed cormarants and Grey and Goliath Herons fishing for breakfast.
H10
Zebra and Giraffe.
We decided to take a little detour onto the S28. and almost immediatly come across a W. Rhino and calf, quite a large number of Giraffe and a BB Jackal with 2 cubs, but we don't have any pics of them unfortunately.
Suddenly, we hear the word Lion, and see 2 females crouching in the grass very interested in the ever nearing Giraffe who seem completely unaware of their presence.
Unfortunately they are not the best pics but do show the concentration nicely.

Sat for quite a while but they definitely had more time on their side than us so we moved on.

Couldn't resist this beautiful little LBR posing so nicely.

Onwards and animals seen W/Hogs, Steenboks which incidently were seen in abundance all over the park, never have I seen so many in one trip.
Bataleur soaring overhead.

Turning on to the Mhlondozi Road.
Water Buck and Imps.

To be continued......

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next