Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Bush Beckons again for Bushkid - KNP 29 Dec to 5 Jan 07
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 pm 

Hi everyone.

Its really great to be back on the forum especially on the eve of my next visit to the scents, sounds and splendour of the bush. :dance:

Not even the pouring highveld rain or my missing credit and bank cards (it happended this afternoon :shock: ) can dampen my spirits.

The last minute preparations are on the go as I type away, food/snacks being prepared for the road, packing of luggage next on the list, petrol already filled (on loaned money ), meet Wildchild later this evening for last minute Intel on sightings and then early to bed.
You know the old saying: "Early to Bed, early to rise makes one reach Kruger gates by Sunrise :lol: "

Wish me luck with abundant good sightings.

Bye for now

Bushkid

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:41 am 

Hi

Thanks Dinkybird and Toddelelfe for the well wishes.

A quick update on sightings so far
Day 1 - 29 Dec
Saw 4 of the big five. (The leopard still elusive)
The day of the Rhinos. 3 separate sightings - 9xRhinos
2 separate lion sightings: 1 at H1-2 and 8 lions lying just off the main road 12km out from Phabeni gate. (Only saw 1 clearly, for the rest only paws and flickering tails visible)
Elephants
Buffalo
Hippos
Water Bucks
Vervet monkeys
Wildebeest
Rooibok
Zebras
Warthogs
Giraaf
Vultures
Eagles
Ground Hornbill
Plenty of different bird species.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:39 pm 

Hi, Summary for Days 2 & 3 (both 1/2 days)

Day 2 - 30 Dec (1/2 day from 14:00)
Cheetah (on H3 - from Skukuza side 2km before S112)
Hyena and Vultures fighting for last scraps of Giraffe leg left from Lion kill a week ago. (S112)
Elephants
Hippos
Crocs
Waterbuck
Baboon convention at S112/S114 interchange (lots of antics, wait for pics in detailed report)
Steenbok
Kudu
Giraffe
Whalberg Eagle

Day 3 - 31 Dec (E1/2 day from 14:00)
A day that was not planned to be spent in KNP (Planned for Sabie areas, Potholes etc), but due to heavy rains we decided to go into KNP after 13:00. What a splendid day it turned out to be despite heavy rains throughout.

A KILL, but one I'd rather forget. A van drove over a tortoise on the road while I was filming it! :evil:.

The following was enough to cheer me up after the nasty kill incident.
A group of 14 lions walking towards us in the rain and on the road. AWESOME! :shock: (Napi Road)

Wild Dog (Pack of 4 on S1)

Another Lioness on S1, standing up and shaking away the rain water from its skin. What a sight :roll:

Due to the heavy rains the roads were full of Mopani worms and the largest Snails I have ever seen.

Other sightings: Tawny Eagle, Klipspringer, Zebra, Elephants, Kudu, Wildebeest.

Quote:
Elsa
Great start Bushkid, 4 out of 5 is not bad, hang in there, you will get your elusive Mr/ms Spots.
Good luck and enjoy

Hi Elsa : Mr and Ms Spots still hiding, but I am sure they will allow me a peek before the week ends. (BTW, it is the only one left to complete the magnificient 7!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 pm 

Hi Quick update on sighting for last few days

Day 4 - 01 Jan 2007
2 Lion Sightings (S1 & S25) ,
4 Cheetahs (Crossing S25 coming from Hippo Pool road)
Buffalo, Rhino, Elephants, Giraffes, Wildebeest, Duiker, Water Monitor, Crocodiles, Zebras, Hippos (including a severely mauled hippo crossing the road)

Day 5 - 03 Jan 2007
2 Lion Sightings (S1 & S21) ,
Elephants, Buffalo, Rhinos, Hippos, Rooibok, Duiker, Warthogs, Vervets, Klipspringers, Vultures, Zebras, Ostrich, Fish Eagles, Bateluer eating a lizard on the ground,

Day 6 - 04 Jan 2007
3 Lion Sightings: 5 on marula loop, 2 on H41, 4 lions feeding on a Warthog --> 20m from Skukuza main gate(Major Traffic Jam entering Skukuza camp!)
Rhinos, Buffalo, Elephants, Wildebeest, Vervets, Hippos, Kudu, Duiker, Steenbok, Green mamba crossing the road (S1)

Still no Leopards. Tomorrow is my last day so I hope they come and see me :lol: because I am obviously not seeing them

Sneak preview of Cheetah sightings (Wait for main report for more pics and details)

Quote:
MarkWildDog :
Thanks for the updates Bushkid - What a trip and you know how sensitive I am about wild dogs and with your sighting of them has brought tears to my eyes.

Hi Mark. We all know about you and Wild Dogs :wink: . I Really enjoy AWD sightings. Judging from the sighting boards there seem to be plenty in this past week so I will be in search of them tomorrow (my last day :( )

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]