Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deville's December trips : KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day trip Saturday 16-12-06

This was a solo run, for the SO cant really handle the heat that well. :evil:
Arrived at Malelane gate at 5:15, 5th car there. Very helpful staff got me on my way and of course the first sighting was Ellies 500m into the Park. I took the S114, S25, S119, S118 & H3 up to Afsaal. On the S114 I found these Eastern Redfooted Falcons, more Ellies, Impala and lots of general game.

Not a good photo, very overcast.

On the S25 at Mhlambane river I spotted a herd of about 100 Buffalo, but to far for nice photos and found this mom and calf White Rhino on the S119. I spent quite some time at the Gardenia hide but had no major sighting, just enjoyed being there alone with nature. :D

Not much else posing for photographs up to the H3 and it was still very overcast and rainy but did see some more Ellies, Kudu, General game and on the H3 I saw the resident White Rhino on the plains, Leopard tortoise and this European Roller enjoying a Beatle for breakfast.

Pity about the twig.

At Afsaal I had my divine breakfast my So prepared for me. On route to Skukuza six Mini bus Taxis passed me with their doef, doef music blaring and must be the main reason for not even seeing Impala or any other animal on the H3 and H1-1. :evil:
I gave Skukuza a miss and took the H1-2 towards Tshokwane, at the Sabie Lowwaterbridge I found these Marabou Storks. 8)

This Blackheaded Oriole and Kurrichane Thrush did not want to pose for proper photos, but found this Steenbok on Maroela loop relaxing under a tree.

Back on the H1-2 the same lot of taxis :evil: and by now it was 11:00 and the sun had decided to stick its head out and the temperature rose to a very comfortable 39 deg. C. so I decided to turn back and head for Lake Panic to hide from the heat and taxis. I spent a good three hours at there and most of the time on my own and I am glad to report that all seven Egyptian goslings have made it since our last visit. Here are a couple of photos of the birds that was close enough for photos.

Greenspotted Dove

Grey Heron

Common Sandpiper

And of course the Egyptian Geese family

I went to Skukuza for some supplies and found these Green Pigeons in a Wild Fig next to the restaurant. :D

To be continued…… :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

By now the temp was 43 deg C and that I would prefer all animals to show themselves were I can park in the shade. I decided to take a slow drive to exit at Phabeni gate for a change. At the N’waswitshaka river just outside Skukuza on the H11 I saw this Njala. :lol:

All along the Doispane road, S1 the veldt was burnt during the winter months and have lots of lush green grass for all browsing animals and general game. Animals seen along this route!

Zebra

Woodlands Kingfisher

I also took a photo of this tree that was uprooted with the rocks still stuck in its roots. 8)

Just before the S4 a lot of Vultures settled in trees close the road which meant there must be a kill close by. I spent some time scanning the area for a while but could not see anything. Took the S4 and found a male Lion walking towards the riverbed, to far and late to take any photos but did see this Wahlberg’s Eagle perched close by.

I turned around back to the S1 and found this Cape Vulture close enough for a photo. :P

Saw another White Rhino and some Hippo playing in Nyamundwa dam which is very close to overflowing.

The clouds where building up and it seemed like we would have some more rain. I decided to take a short drive down the S3 towards Pretoruiskop because I hade some time to kill before the gates close. Very wise decision, about 200m down the road I found three cars parked next to the road at a LIT sighting. Spent about 25 min with this guy. :shock:

Some Idiots arrived and sat on their door to take photos disturbing him, look at that stare. :evil:

He then decided he had enough and jumped out of the tree.

After he disappeared in the tall grass it was time to go home and I saw this Blackbellied Korhaan on my way out.

Another hot but very successful trip completed.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]