Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wildchild goes wandering again...KNP : Dec 06
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone, it is really good to be back on the forum, particularly with the great new that another trip to KNP is close at hand. Another luxurious week to be spent taking in the sights and sound, the wafting fragrances by means of which Kruger repetedly seduces us. Our week begins on the 8TH till the 15 of December. Wish me some wonderful sightings and a great time. So long for now.

Link to some of my pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/wildchildknp1

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 pm 

And WC has arrived safely and here is their first sms report:

Quote:
We had a fantastic day. 3 of the big 5, ellies, buffs and rhinos.

We saw 3 cheetahs at Kwaggaspan, spent almost 2hrs with them, and lotsa general game.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:46 pm 

And an sms just received:

wildchild wrote:
Just left the Park. Better and better. Big 5 sighted within the last hour of the day on road to Phabeni + bir 5 during the day and wild dogs.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:02 am 

This morning's sms from wildchild:

Quote:
Yesterday we saw 4 of the 5, 1 lion, 1 leopard, buffs and rhino and lots of general game. Today at 5:45 am 9 lions at the Curami Bridge.

WOW - they sure are having some super sightings!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:26 pm 

This evening's sms from WC:

Quote:
Another super day. Started with lion, ended with lion. Lion and leopard, rhino, ellies, buffalos and 4 sightings of lion. Wish us luck for tomorrow.

They need more luck :shock:

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:02 pm 

This evening's sms from wildchild:

Quote:
Had yet another fantasic day. We saw the big 5. 4 lion sightenings = 13 lions and a fleeting leopard. Lots of buffs and elllies, but only 1 rhino and general game.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

And another sms:
WildChild wrote:
Great sightings in the past 2 days. Lions, wild dogs, buffs and ellies plus general game. Today has been really quiet, just impies, zebra's and lion.

Just lion Bert! :twisted:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone,

Back from the park for a week already but my phone and adsl lines were totally down and
have just been reconnected. What can I say, I haven't even started my trip report and am
already preparing for the next trip. Will be in Biyamiti from Sunday 24th to Tuesday 26th
and another night staying out of the park. Just to whet your appetite, I will post a few pics
from the first trip:

Link to some of my pics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:36 pm 

Wildchild sms'd me this late this afternoon...what a way to spend Christmas Eve....

Quote:
Back in Kruger today. Staying at Biyamiti for 3 nights. Had a fantastic day - 4 of the big 5, lion, rhino, elephant, buffs but the highlight of the day was 3 cheetahs on the hunt.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you one and all for those wonderful wishes for us to see great stuff, and indeed, great stuff did we see. This was a trip that started with three cheetahs on the first day and ended with a leopard in a tree with flying impala and hyena luking about for scraps that may fall from the skies above. This was interspersed by loads of lion sightings, and studded with leopard saphires in between. Yes, and the wild dogs too, did make their appearance, not once but thrice withing our stay....
to be continued.... :D 8) :twisted:

Link to some of my pics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

matthew wrote:
What an awesome trip WC!
Hope you are writing that report fast and furiously! :D

Hi Matt, I have managed to start the trip report but it is neither fast nor furuous... here comes the first installment...

Another day spent running helter skelter to complete the shopping list before departure. Having bought most of the requirements we visited a camera store with the thought of
purchasing a still camera. The kind saleseman showed us a few of the the different digital cameras he had in stock and guided us through the pros and cons of each one. Still not sure
whether to buy or not to buy. We returned home. That afternoon my son and I drove back to the shopping mall to get some other things forgotten and popped back into the camera shop. After working out the cost of everything I decided against buying the camera and was on myway back home late in the day. Phoned home and asked the family what their opinion wasand was told to go for it. Returned to the shopping mall and by the time I purchased the camera, back up batteries and three 1 gig memory cards along with a carry bag it was 7.45pm and time for me to shoot to the airport to fetch my daughter who was flyinh that evening to join us on the trip. Got to the airport, parked in the pick up zone while my son ran to look for his sister with whom he very shortly returned. By the time we got home it was about nine
thirty. We had a quick bite and began packing the kombi. Once done, I thought of having an early night but as usual sleep evaded me at the sheer thought of being in the KNP once more. Got out of bed had a shower and tried to catch a few winks. Finally I managed to doze off for a short spell. Awakening with a start, thinking that I had overslept... I realised that it was still early. Awoke everyone else and began packing the meat in the cooler box. Packed the
binos, cameras, map bag and the last few things for the journey. Finally, we set off at about four am. The roads were deserted and we made good time. Stopped at Milly’s for a bite and refreshed ourselves. Arrived in Nelspruit and waited a while for the fruit and veg to open to buy fresh stuff foer salads and then popped into Riverside mall for ice rolls and whatever else was needed. From there we decided to go to Vision 2000 where I bought another 2 gig memory card, which surprising enough was far cheaper than in Jozi. Looked at the
teleconvertor lenses but nothing to fit on the Cybershot H2 I had bought or for the camcorder. Ordered both and was told that the one for the H2 is on backorder and the one for the
camcorder will be there after four working days. Finally, we leave Nelspruit and head for Malelane. By the time we get into the park it was midday. Probably the latest we have
entered the park on our first day in a long time.
We stopped on the bridge and and saw a
lovely croc in the water.
Having entered we wondered what lay in store for us....
First sighting as usual was this family of impala
Took the S110 deciding to pay Stephen a visit at B&D only to find that he was on leave and would return after our trip was over. The S 110 rewarded us with we saw some more impis,
some baboons and warthogs. managed to snap some baboons taking refuge in the shade of some trees as it was a sweltering day Image
From B&D we continued onto the Matjulu Loop where wwe spotted some zebras
and some more baboons.

At the intersection, we turned onto the Steilburg road where we saw a giraffe in the distance stretching its long neck to reach some delicious titbit

Before joining the H3 we saw a group of Buffs also taking refuge from the intense heat of the day but it looks like this one was not fazed by the heat and gave us the stare

Adding a little colour to life are these pretty shades

After rejoining the H3 we saw our first ellie of the trip ambling onto the tar

Thereafter we were treated to the sight of two waterbuck rams, one of which appears below

Along the H3 we saw more zebras, impalas, warthogs, wildebeest and finally at Kwaggaspan... a trio of cheetahs sitting close to the road in the shade of a biggish tree. It was
after some time that we got to see cheetahs from such close quarters and it was the most we had e ever seen together. Before this,, a few years back we had seen two brothers at Rabelais Dam scouting the area shortly before gate closing time. Anyway, here are some pics of the trio:

Reluctantly leaving the cheetahs we headed up the road and turned onto Napi Road where we saw yet more impis, warthog and two sightings of four rhinos each
Image as well as two sightings of hyena which brought us to the close of the first wonderful day in the KNP. Not bad for a start, three of the
big five, cheetahs and hyenas along with a fair smattering of general game.

Link to some of my pics

Last edited by wildchild on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MarkWildDog wrote:
wildchild wrote:
...this is for Mark, yes you better believe it, a pack of wild dogs lazing in the mid morning sun...

Sometimes my curiosity gets me into trouble, I suppose you're guessing how my emotions hit sky-high after reading this TR, but I must say your reports are truly amazing. :thumbs_up:

wildchild wrote:
Not bad so far, into our second morning and we had already seen three of the big five as well as cheetah and wild dog.

Some people have extraordinary luck! I guess my day will come soon... :mrgreen:

Thanks MWD, we were fortunate in the true sense of the word as you will read...
Not long thereafter, we saw this magnificent raptor poised on a branch.

Within a few minutes, a lone giraffe with only its neck and head visible along the river. On the opposite side of the river was a trio of elepahnts silently swaying along on their
sojourn as we watched them proceed. Yet another ellie with a maribou in the background.

As we drove up to sunset dam, a thirsty giraffe nimbly lowered itself towards the water to quaff a few mouthfuls of aqua.

While on the other end were a group of impala much intent on the same purpose.
After stopping at Lower Sabie for luch and a short break, we set off once more in quest of whatever was on offer having passed the high water bridge, we saw yet more ellies, a pair of
fish eagles and yet another herd of buffs relaxing while the afternoon sun beat down upon us.
We drove down the S28 till we reached the Duke turnoff and worked our way back towards Lower Sabie along the S137-S130-H4-2

This was another exquisite bird which we bespied,

Futher afield was another giraffe and a pair of hippos grazing out of the water and this beautiful martial eagle:

Finally we were back at the spot where we had seen the wild dogs that morning and they were still there, intent on doing nothing other than lazing around. Having sat with them for a
short while, we moved on. Not two clicks further, we came across these cute cubs sitting right close to the road on the river side.
With barely two days in the park and we were fortunate to have seen members of the magnificent seven, nyala, a squacco heron and a little bittern. A great amount of grattitude is all we could express.

To be continued....

Link to some of my pics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Will post under new topic

Link to some of my pics

Post subject: Wildchils's second day in December 06
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone, I think it is going to be easier to post as a separate topic.

DAY 2 THURSDAY 8TH DECEMBER 2006

Up very early the next morning, we did our ablutions had a light snack and set off for Phabeni Gate. The processing was done by very freindly staff who informed us that that the
previous day had been one of excellent sightings on the Diospane Road. With great expectation we set off... Our first sighting for the morning was a saddle billed stork on the
side of the low level bridge one has to pass.
After admiring this beautiful bird we drove on. Our next sighting was a rhino that felt inclined to start the day much later than us and just flatly refused to stand up in order to give
us a better view and better picture. Well, this is one place we definitely do not call the shots.
Apart from sighting game, the different faces of kruger can be just as beautiful as this pic demonstrates so aptly.
Pressing on, we encountered some impalas, zebra and guinea fowl.

Further along the Diospane Road we came across a herd of buffaloes who like the rhino rlier, were ill inclined to even get up, let alone forage for food. Shortly thereafter this water monitor was what we saw.
coming to the S4 turn off, we decided to do that stretch of road and apart form a woodland kingfisher, not much else was to be seen. Linking up with the tar road, we headed for Lake Panic which proved to be a hive of activity both in terms of bird life and visitors to the hide. Here, we spotted some lovely birds, among which were, a squacco heron, a little bittern, a grey heron, sone weavers, blacksmith pliver, jacana, a family of ducks and this bird which I'd not know at all.

After having spent a leasurely length of liquid time which just fowed into the future, a time wherein the soul and heart were refreshed and reinvigorated. By the time we left lake panic it was well past eight. Onwards towards Skukuza we wended our way and were rewarded with a crock basking in the early morning sun. Also a tortoise, plodding its way to who knows where. After a quick pit stop a Skukuza we continued and saw another group of buffs, this time, right on the road. Furtheron... this is for Mark, yes you better believe it, a pack of wild dogs lazing in the mid morning sun.

We sat with them for a while before driving on. Not bad so far, into our second morning and we had already seen three of the big five as well as cheetah and wild dog. Only the two L/s to complete the magnificent seven. Alittle further on we saw this warthog. Amazingly enough, we have not seen such huge warthogs as on this trip.
Continuing at a slow pace we worked our way towards Lower Sabie. Met someone on the oad whom I informed about the wild dogs. Soon enough we saw some more impalas, this raptor
and another group of buffs on the road.

A little further on a group of four nyala browsing among the thickets. They kept playing hide and seek with us, not allowing to be photographed for a while, but finally patience paid off and we did manage to snap some shots.

This I think is a bushbuck..am I right?
Soon thereafter, we were coming out of one of the loops on the river road when the gentleman whom I had informed about the wild dogs stopped and told me about a leopard he had just seen. We turned around and headed back coming to a number of cars parked off. As we pulled up, we saw the leopard working its way deeper into the bush.
Once it was lost sight off, all the vehecles drove off leaving us all alone. We waited a few mnutes and as before, patience was a virtue not to be trifled with. This beautiful leopard crossed the road as the two jeep jockeys came towards us.
We were all ecstatic at having seen our first leopard on this particular trip. Now, only lions left to complete the magnificent seven. Will it be today, or do we have to wait till another
day? Once the leopard disappeared into the bush, we continued onward towards Lower Sabie.

Not long thereafter, we saw this magnificent raptor poised on a branch.

Within a few minutes, a lone giraffe with only its neck and head visible along the river.

On the opposite side of the river was a trio of elepahnts silently swaying along on their sojourn as we watched them proceed. Yet another ellie with a maribou in the background.

As we drove up to sunset dam, a thirsty giraffe nimbly lowered itself towards the water to quaff a few mouthfuls of aqua.

While on the other end were a group of impala much intent on the same purpose.
After stopping at Lower Sabie for luch and a short break, we set off once more in quest of whatever was on offer having passed the high water bridge, we saw yet more ellies, a pair of
fish eagles and yet another herd of buffs relaxing while the afternoon sun beat down upon us.
We drove down the S28 till we reached the Duke turnoff and worked our way back towards
Lower Sabie along the S137-S130-H4-2

This was another exquisite bird which we bespied,

Futher afield was another giraffe and a pair of hippos grazing out of the water and this beautiful martial eagle:

Finally we were back at the spot where we had seen the wild dogs that morning and they were still there, intent on doing nothing other than lazing around. Having sat with them for a
short while, we moved on. Not two clicks further, we came across these cute cubs sitting
right close to the road on the river side.
With barely two days in the park and we were fortunate to have seen members of the magnificent seven, nyala, a squacco heron and a little bittern. A great amount of grattitude is all we could express.

We spent as much time as we could with them and made it to the Diospane Road. A fair amount of general game, zebras, impalas, warthogs and giraffes dotted the way. Moving at a
steady pace, we drove past a few buffs, and an ellie without stopping to spend time with them as it was now this time of the day
but this rhino stopped us in our tracks and we were forced to take its pic before it stepped aside alowwing us to pass. Already three of the five along this stretch of road I thought to
myself...will it be a case of seeing the big five on a single stertch of road? Who knows what can happen in Kruger! No sooner had this thought crossed my mind when from the left hand side of the road these beauties showed themselves, coming right onto the road and passing almost within touching distance.
After aquick few shots, for now time was at a premium, we moved on only to be greeted by another rhino on the same side of the road as we had seen the lions.
One quick shot was all we could manage before moving on. The sun was now swiftly sweeping its way towards the horizon and we managed a few lovely shots of the day drawing
to a close.
Not much else is there hope of seeing for the gate is not to far off. We now come upon a few cars parked off on the right hand side of the road admiring a beautiful leopard sitting and
staring into the distance for a little while before getting up and moving down the incline while stretching itself as it got closer to the bottom before it worked int way into the
undergrowth.
That was the final sighting for the day. An absolutely wonderful and fruitful day in terms of sightings. The eyes had feasted on fare that was delectable. The soul was soothed by the intermittent moments of total silence interspersed with symphony of sound that the Kruger orchestra had on offer for that day. A medley of sound, that will never be heard again in that particular sequence. All things said, another wonderful, brilliant, fantastic day drew to a close. Weary from the day’s driving we reached our accommodation which was a sight welcoming to weary limbs. After a nice meal, it was to bed for me, for tomorrow was already beckoning with promises, pregnant promises, promises that deliver beyond one’s expectations as the ongoing report will show. It just gets better and better...
To be continued...

Link to some of my pics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]