Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: cybeR@NGER & Leopardess South-North-South KNP Adventure
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The car has been packed and the tank is full.
We are ready to go. 8)

Jose will, so kindly, convey our SMS reporting and I will also submit live reports, hopefully with photos, as often as possible (GPRS network coverage permitting).

The following is our complete itinerary:

Day One: 2nd October: Pretoria to Berg en Dal.
• Monument Park, N4, Malelane Gate.
• Malelane Gate to Berg en Dal – S110. – Unpack.
• Matjula View Point, S120, Timfenheni Loop,S114, S119,Gardenia Hide,S25,S114,S110 back to Berg en Dal.

Day Two: 3rd October: Berg en Dal
• H3 to Afsaal Picnic Spot, H2-2, S114,Old Selati Rail Route, Mpondo Dam, S26, Crocodile River Road, Berg en Dal.
• Sunset Drive @ 17hoo.

Day Three: 4th October: Berg en Dal to Skukuza
• Afsaal Picnic Spot, Voortrekker Road, Albasini Road, Doispane Road, Lake Panic Hide, Skukuza.

Day Four: 5th October: Skukuza
• Marula Loop, Nkhulu Picnic Spot, N’Watimhiri Road, Renosterkoppies Dam, Transport Dam, Mathekanyane (Granokop), Skukuza. Selati Restaurant.

Day Five: 6th October: Skukuza to Orpen
• H12 Loop, Mantimahle Dam, S36, Nhlanguleni Picnic Spot, S145 past Talamati, H2 to Orpen. Orpen Waterhole.

Day Six: 7th October: Orpen to Letaba
• H7, Timbavati Road to Timbavati Picnic Spot, Ratelpan Hide, S39 past Roodewal, H1-4, N’wamanzi Lookout, H1-5, Letaba. Glass of wine overlooking the river.

Day Seven:8th October: Letaba
• Matambeni Hide, H1-6, Twisappel Dam, Makhadzi Picnic Spot, S47 Letaba River Road, Shilawuri Loop Nhlanganini Loop, Letaba.

Day Eight: 9th October: Letaba to Shingwedzi
• H9 to Phalaborwa, Masorini Picnic Spot, Sable Dam Hide, H14 to Mopani, Mooiplaas Picnic Spot, H1-6 to Shingwedzi.

Day Nine: 10th October: Shingwedzi
• Sunrise Drive @ 4h30am.
• Kanniedood Dam Hide, Nyawutsi Hide, Tropic of Capricorn Loop, Old Main Road, Shingwedzi.

Day Ten: 11th October: Shingwedzi to Punda Maria
• Red Rocks, Tshanga Lookout, Babalala Picnic Spot, Punda Maria
• Mahonie Loop, Dzundwini Loop. Trail inside Punda Maria Camp.

Day Eleven: 12th October: Punda Maria
• S60, S59, H1-8, Pafuri Picnic Spot, Crooks Corner, Thulamela Archaelogical site, Pafuri Gate, S61, H1-8, H13-1, Punda Gate, Thulamela Waterhole, Punda Maria.

Day Twelve: 13th October: Punda Maria to Mopani.
• Babalala Picnic Spot, S56, Lamont Loop,Kanniedood Dam Hide, Redrocks Lookout, Mopani.
• Drinks on the verandah.

Day Thirteen: 14th October: Mopani
• Mooiplaas Picnic Spot, Confluence Lookout, Nshawu No 1 etc, Tropic of Capricorn Loop, Shongololo Loop, Pioneer Hide, Shipandani Hide, Joubert’s Grave, Lookout Point, Mopani.

Day Fourteen: 15th October: Mopani to Satara
• Makhadzi Picnic Spot, Matambeni Hide, N’wamanzi Lookout, Ngotso Dam, Satara. Nsemani Dam.

Day Fifteen: 16th October: Satara
• S100 N’Wanetsi River Road, Gudzani Road,, N’Wanetsi Picnic Spot, Sweni Hide, Trichardt Road, H1-3, Nkaya Pan, Satara.
• Night Drive @ 20h00.

Day Sixteen: 17th October: Satara to Tamboti
• S100, Gudzani, H6, Sweni Road, Muzandzeni Picnic Spot, S36, Rabelais Loop.
• Go to Orpen to book in, Tamboti.

Day Seventeen: 18th October: Tamboti
• Rabelais Loop, Muzandzeni Picnic Spot, Nwaswitswontso Road, H1-3, Nsemani Dam, H7, Tamboti.

Day Eighteen: 19th October: Tamboti to Olifants
• H7, Nsemani Dam, Satara, H1-4, Old Main Road S90, H1-4, Olifants.
• Olifants Camp View Point.

Day Nineteen: 20th October: Olifants
• S92, Balule, S89 Ngotso Weir Road, H1-4, H8, Olifants.
• Afternoon Walk.

Day Twenty: 21st October: Olifants
• S44, S93, S46, Engelhard Dam, Letaba, S94, S46, H1-5, H8, Olifants.

Day Twenty One: 22nd October: Olifants to Lower Sabie • H8, H1-4, Ngotso Dam, Satara, H1-3, Tshokwane Picnic Spot, Orpen Dam Loop, Nkumbe Viewsite, H10, Lower Sabie. Sunset Dam.

Day Twenty Two: 23rd October: Lower Sabie
• S29, Mlondozi Dam PicnicSpot, Salitjie Road, Nkuhlu Picnic Spot, Mativuhlungu Loop, Sunset Dam.

Day Twenty Three: 24th October: Lower Sabie – Pretoria • S28, Ntandanyathi Hide, Nhlanganzwani Dam, Nhlowa Road, Gomodwane Loop, Hippo Pools, Crocodile Bridge Gate.
• Book out of Park.
• Go Home: N4, Nelspruit, Witbank, Pretoria. Image

Last edited by cybeR@NGER on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They they got there safe and sound! :D

Disclaimer: Please note that the following report contains details that may be considered offensive and shocking by some. And Bert, you better log off, I don't think you can handle this...

CR's sms 11:21
Quote:
Good morning!
We've just said hello to two of Nico's leopard friends. Just seen our first two leopards and a white rhino within an hour and a half in the park. First leopard in a tree on the S110 about 6km from Malelane gate plus the rhino on the same road. Second leopard on the H3, 3km from the gate in a tree with impala kill, 100 metres from road.
Wow, it's good to be back! :D

And about 15 minutes later...
Quote:
Make that three, Jose! :D Her cub just came up the tree and started feeding on the impala, bringing it down in the process. Mommy seems to be fast asleep on her branch. We're moving to the camp now, to get some breakfast. We're both starved.

And again at 13:34:
Quote:
Afternoon! Make that four! Another LIT and our fourth of the day! On the S110, about 4kms from the first sighting, 2kms from Berg en Dal. This one only 50 metres from the road. I spotted his tail hanging down a branch and stopped the car immediately. We couldn't believe this was yet another leopard sighting in such a short period of time and all to ourselves, others joined us a little later. Could only see the tail and its rear end, at this stage. Waited for about half an hour before it decided to get up and move to the left stretching itself on the branch, four legs hanging, at its best. Got some great shots of this one. Twenty minutes later got up and climbed down the tree, disappearing into the bush.

Now why am I getting the feeling that this is going to be one of those trips? Looks like Nico and Yvonne's record is under serious attack. :lol:

*sigh*

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jose wrote:
<...> Looks like Nico and Yvonne's record is under serious attack. :lol:

CR's sms wrote:
:lol: N&Y record? Not easy, but we'll try! :lol: We have settled in at Berg en Dal, beautiful perimeter self-contained bungalow with a lovely verandah and braai area. Going for an afternoon drive along the S110 dirt road and Matjulu w/o. Starting to get a little overcast, so need to get a move on. Later :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After CR wrote that they were going for an afternoon drive, I jokingly replied "Take 5?"

Here is his answer (18:28 ):
Quote:
You're gonna not like this: yes, it's a take 5! We spotted our 4th leopard sighting and leopard No. 5 for the day, on our afternoon drive along the S110 dirt road 4 km from the H3. Another LIT not further than 35 metres from the road. Sky overcast, as mentioned, and dusk was falling, but I still managed a few decent shots and Diane got some video footage. I think we're seriously looking at the record now. :wink:
Saw 2nd white rhino walking on the road just ahead of us, and huge giraffe in middle of the road, started walking towards our car and went past within a couple of metres (I think if I stretched my arm I would have touched it.
Ok, don't wanna bother you any further, time to light up the braai. Speak to you later. B4N
Uh-oh. Diane just gone outside and announced that it just started raining... oh well, no braai tonight.

He also said that he's downloaded pics onto the notebook, and that he will try to get online and post a couple, but
Quote:
GPRS coverage looks a bit on the slow side here, let's see...

Oh Tony... we're waiting! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good Evening, all :yaya:

Coming to you live from Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp, via GPRS, i-mate JAM and laptop (for those interested).

First and foremost, thank you all for the good wishes and comments on my SMS reporting, so far.
Thank you, Jose, for conveying my messages in a most effective way (wouldn't have expected anything else, anyway :wink: )

Yes, what can I say, it was an absolutely fantastic start to our trip. I think I have now seen more leopards in trees in one day, than in all other previous trips put together ! :D

Nico & Yvonne: rest assured, I'm not going for any record breaking here because, not even in a million years will I better yours and Yvonne's amazing sightings and wonderful pics over the years.

Bouf: with so many leopards around, I completely forgot about them bird's feet ! Let's try tomorow :lol:

I will now attempt to post a couple of photos, GPRS is slow, and not even remotely compared to ADSL speeds at home, so please, bear with me a little bit ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Last sms last night said:
Quote:
... it seems like huge storm heading this way, thundering and lightening big time at the moment ... Getting worse and worse ...

This afternoon's update (16:39):
Quote:
Afternoon :)
Following last night's thunderstorm, we were presented today with a deeply overcast and drizzly day. No big cats :cry: but we saw the following:
Burchell's Coucal, 2x young ellie bulls both on S110;
2x buffalo (one to go for Big 5 :wink: ), rhino on H-3;
scops owl at Afsaal PS;
another 2x young ellies, a rhino, pair of bateleurs, snake eagle, ellie bull, all on S119;
2x rhino on S25.
Going to get ready now for sunset drive hoping to complete B5 tonight :wink:
Later. B4N

Oh and, CR's forumpost went through last night, but photos take forever so he has given up on those. For now, that is. :wink:

Waiting for news when they come back from the sunset drive 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sunset drive update (21:24):
Quote:
Evening :D
Back from a 'lekker' wet and very cold nightdrive, but all well worth it.
MC eat your heart out :twisted: . Just before night fall we saw one of the most amazing sightings: a pack of wild dogs were feasting on an impala kill! They seemed very nervous, devouring their meal in a hurry as we could hear hyenas whooping in the background. We were told before, when we saw two wild dogs zigzagging madly in the bush, that the hyenas had pushed them off from an earlier kill. After much pushing and shoving they left the carcass one by one, their faces covered in blood.
Later we saw a civet, spotted eagle owl, kudu, ellie with two little ones and, to top it off, two buffalo and a serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry for late update folks, but I fell asleep in front of the tv... :redface:

Received at 19:05:
Quote:
Evening :D
Nice day today, clear skies and temperatures around 27C. Made our way to Skukuza early in the morning, stopping briefly at Afsaal PS for breakfast, through H3, Voortrekker Rd, H1-1, S3 (Albasini Rd). Sightings: ellies, buffalo, warthog, giraffe road-block, rhino, dwarf mongoose, baboons and kudu rutting.
Lake Panic this afternoon, the usual: cormorants, hippos, terrapins, crocodile, malachite kingfisher.
Enjoying a catemba (red wine and coke), Diane is having a glass of rosé wine, while watching the braai.

And a bit later:
Quote:
... can hear hyena in the distance, good night, sweet dreams... Zzzzzzz

And so another s**t day in Africa has come to an end 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jose wrote:
Cees wrote:
:lol: Yep the Dutch tv is so boring :lol:
Thanks anyway for the update Jose. Can't say their days are boring can you :roll: :roll:

I dunno... is it? Can't seem to remember what was on tonight. :lol:
I'll trade my NL tv evenings for a bush tv any time!! 8)

Far from boring, Cees :wink: :lol:
How about "Animal Planet" ? :wink:

Live from Skukuza, 'evening all :yaya:

Slow day, in terms of sightings. Highlights of note: Green-backed Heron, Hammerkop, Southern Ground Hornbills on S63, Saddle-billed Stork. and baby croc and Goliath Heron at Lake Panic... oh, and a yellow ribbon on, what seemed to be, a white Toyota Corollla, on the H4-1. Does anyone know who that might be ?

Off to Orpen early tomorrow morning.

Here's a sneak preview of one of our leopard sightings:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
Red wine and coke! :shock:

That was my exact same reaction as well... :lol:

Anywayz...
16:57 CR's sms wrote:
Afternoon! Big5 in da bag! :lol: Spotted lioness this morning lying alert on the sand bank near the river on the H1-4, 150m away and about 7km from Skukuza. Later in the morning we found two lionesses fast asleep under a tree on the S36. This afternoon spotted sable with collar on, on the S140. Also saw white rhino with baby crossing the road on S36. Settled in at Orpen. Off to Letaba tomorrow morning.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bouf wrote:
<...> what next WD, cheetah, pangolin..........

Elephant shrew??? :shock:

16:54 CR's sms wrote:
Afternoon! Skies overcast in the morning, but started clearing up as the day progressed reaching a max. of 32C. Highlight of the day was a lovely CHEETAH (ed.: preview posted above) crossing the road on H7. Good photos and video footage. A herd of ellies paid us a visit at Timbavati PS and entertained us for quite some time. Settled in at Letaba in a very nice bungalow overlooking the river.

Letaba being my fav camp, I asked him for the location of bungalow...
17:15 CR's reply wrote:
It's the second last left to the restaurant. The best we could find when we booked. Nice view of the river, albeit the drier section.

I've stayed in that circle too (love it!!), and a couple of years ago we saw a youngish ele bull feeding right by the fence 3 nights in a row. I do hope they get that lucky too! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Since you insist, Mark, here's a quick preview: :wink:

Seen at Matjulu WH, last Tuesday, at approx. 5:28pm
Live from Letaba :yaya:
Hot day today (34º C). Quiet in terms of quantity of sightings.
Highlight of the day was a herd of buffies (+/- 200 individuals) just before Makhadzi PS, on the H-15.

Off to Shingwedzi tomorrow morning.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Am I still in the right thread? :? Mumble, mutter... litterbugs! :lol:

CR wrote:
Left Letaba this morning and headed for Masorini PS, where we had breakfast, through H9. Visited Sable hide where one of KNP staff was fixing the overnight beds. Saw steenbok there, no fish eagles :( Then took the H14, saw buffalo herd relaxing under the trees. Giant kingfisher on theLetaba bridge. S49 towards Mopani where we stopped briefly to stretch legs and a drink. Then a long stretch (63 kays) on the H1-6 to Shingwedzi where we will be staying for two nights. 1st time here, BTW, lovely close views of the river. Going on a sunrise drive at 5:00 tomorrow morning. Will keep an eye out for... whatsaname? Ah, Mashagadzi, the local tusker. Let's hope we're luckier than the Duke Pack. lol
Shing is nice and quiet. I particularly like the close views of the river. We're staying in a perimeter bungalow, #A28 (about 12m from the fence) with an enclosed kitchen (not like the open ones at Letaba) and bathroom. Resembles a one bedroom flat. Gonna shower and off to bed, need to get up early tomorrow for sunset drive, can't wait! :D So it's good night and happy dreams from Shingwedzi.

I listened to him patienly, describing bungalow 28. As if I didn't know... that's where I stayed last November! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Greetings from Shingwedzi Rest Camp :yaya:

Thank you, Duncan, for your comments and welcome to SANParks Forum ! Yes, you must come back ! :D
I see you made the right move and shared your own experiences - well done, and keep them coming !

Thanks, Jazzie, and Bouf, haven't forgotten the feet, new ones in the bag, no worries :lol:

Shingwedzi river, about 1Km from main gate

Next stop, Punda Maria ! 8)

Good night. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry guys, this came in last night already, but I wasn't anywhere near the computer...

CR wrote:
Evening! Reporting on the 9th day of our journey. Morning drive: only the two of us plus the guide (wow, this is great, we can stop whenever we want). Didn't turn out to be that great, but still an enjoyable experience. First, there was this young ellie bull, came out of the bush, stopped, looked at us, and putting on a show of bravado, made a mock charge at us, then valiantly ran across the road, trumpeting loudly as we drove past. We drove on for a while without seeing anything until we reached Redrocks where we stopped for coffee , while admiring the view. Further on we spotted an ellie herd, giraffe, kudu, baboons and fish eag...
(just got your message as I was busy typing this, thanks for interrupting, not! :lol: So you stayed at this same bungalow! What a coincidence, wow!) Ok, lemme finish my story, pls. :lol:
...le. Came back to bungalow, boiled some eggs, got coffee ready, etc. and headed for Nyawutsi hide on the S50, stopping first at Shingwedzi hide. Sightings of note: nyala, croc, fish eagle, goliath heron, kudu, kori bustard, giraffe. On the way back, just before the camp's main gate, we spotted this big tusker with his mate, but somehow I don't think it was ol' Mashagadzi. :lol:

Great pic of the ellies, CR!! :D

and later he wrote:
We asked the guide, Jonathan, he said they haven't seen him (Ed.: Mashagadzi) in ages and they suspect that he has already died, due to his old age.

I've contacted some people and will try to get a followup on this last bit of info. :(

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next