Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stephenc Road Trip to Kruger : Sept 2006
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 am 

Hi All,

Long last i have managed to get a breather to start. We arrived at the park on the 6 September 2006. Was nice and warm, the staff at the gate where great.

Then started the 50km trip to letaba. It was a long one, but here are some of the animals we saw on the way.

We also managed to see a heard of elephants swimming in one of the dams on the way to camp. [/img]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:01 am 

The we got to the camp a little later than we wanted to, But we got there at last. The staff where also very friendly and made us feel welcome. The camp ground is a little dusty, mean no grass around the camping area. But we managed to find a nice shady spot for all out tents and camping equipement.

The bird life at letaba is most amazing
Horn Bill
Owl
Glossy Starling
Red Headed Weaver

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:10 am 

Got up early the next morning and thought we would head out to Oliphants and then down to Satara.

Well we took the dirt roads down to Oliphants, besides the elephants and Steenbok, there was very little else.

We did come across alot of Impala.
And Another one

Well i am sure you get the picture.
We stopped off at Oliphants and went down to the look out site. Not too much happening from up there. We then started to head towards Balule and came across the leopard in the Tree with a kill. I tried for a photo, but the 300mm lense just did not do it.
I did take a pic, you can see something in the tree, but can't make out what it is 100%.

We then got down to Balule and i was looking for the Hyena den, just no sign of them any where. The most we saw crossing the river to get to Balule was two egyptian geese. We continued towards Satara, but decided we must take the tar road, as i had already lost my front number plate.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:17 am 

Did not see to much going down the tar road either. But on the way back we did manage to see the traffic department setting up there speed trap........a very funny sight. Closer to Letaba we came across another lone elephant

Got back to camp just in time to see an elephant thinking that the trees with in the camp grounds where more tasty than out in the bush.......

Some of the campers where getting worried that he would pull the trees over so they scared him off.....he went and sulked around a tree near the camp fence...here are the pics..

Pulling some branches off the tree

Eating the rewards of a tree

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:21 am 

Some wild life with in Letaba camp site.

Bush Buck

I must say, it is the most amazing experiance to wake up in the night and hear the Hippo grunting, the lion calling and then all the other sounds you just can't make out what they are.....could it be!!!!!!!!!!!! :redface: No can't say what it is, just as long as it is the other side of the fence.... :lol: .

During the day the fish eagle made sure every one could hear him.

Oh i nearly forgot, the playful tree squirale......

Last edited by stephenc on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:32 am 

Friday the 8, had to get up at some unearthly time :) to get the morning drive. The guide was one of the best i have had in all my visits to the park. We started off and found a sleeping Elephant.

All four people on the drive thought it was dead...... :redface: until we where told how elephant do sleep like that and they also try and make some kind of pile of stone and branches to put there head on........sure they are not human??????? :wink:

we then started too see he was waking up.....just hope he is a morning elephant......pic with him almost up......

And then finaly up and ready for another day.....

Next animal we came across was the Rhino....... lovely, two of the big five so far....

We did see the big heard of Buffalo that morning, but that was not close enough for any pics. We also saw Black Backed Jackals, steenbok, zebra and clouds of birds....most amazing sight to see all the little birds flying as one just about.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:39 am 

Things carried on as normal, only elephant, and impala, until we came across the buffalo......

A baby buffalo.....

Big Daddy Buffalo (daggaboys)

Then we saw them every day from then on.....did not push my luck the one day we came across them crossing the road....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:50 am 

Me and the Wife saw this hyena every night, and named it Fluffy......just for the tail it had....... so one night i though let me try and take a pic of this.......now as all you photographers out there.....just when you have set all your equipment up and waited 30min with nothing happening....what do you go and do, ,you walk away from the camera......and that is when all the good stuff happenes....this is the case with me and FLUFFY, But i did manage to get a few...here is one

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:20 pm 

We took a drive up towards Mopani,

We heard that there was lion up that way. So we jumped into the car and off we went...... :? Nothing no lion and very little game as well.... :redface:

But we came across Tsetsebe

We also saw ostridge and another bird.....don't know if someone can help id it..... :cry:

??????

Then let us not forget about the Zebra.
Baby

Full Grown

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The bird is a Kori Bustard - Great shot

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 pm 

The second last day we where in Letabe, we decided to go and hunt down some lion.....that is all we need to get for the big five.

So we went by tar road to Oliphants and then went the dirt road from there. We came across two lionesses near the river crossing at Balule.

Will say not the best pics. These two ladies where waiting for the male to come along.....

Down the road we came across the Hyena walking like it was on a mission to wards balule Camp.

We carried on driving down the dirt roads to Satara and came across a giraffe, yes we have seen them before this, but this is a nice picture of one.

Still closer to the S100 where we saw two male lions. They where too far for my camera.....

But we came across this amazing Kudu.....

Just after we joined up on the S100 we came across these wilderbeest.....

We had lunch at Satara and then left back to camp. Did not see anything new on the way up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:41 pm 

The last day at the park, we just took it easy. Went for a swim, took other pictures of birds in the camp. And relaxed as much as we could.

I will go back to Letaba and camp there. The resturant there is amazing and the nightly meal is well worth it.

8 Days go past so fast, but the pictures are the best. I took 8 roles of photographs up there, that was 288 Photos. Some better than others. Just not enough room to add them all. I will go through them again and see what others i can put up on the site.

When we left the park we had an Elephant walking down the road. This guy was in the middle of the road and the cars could not pass him. This was our goodbye from the elephants of Letaba. It was like telling me to go back to the camp and stay there....... :lol: almost did.

Time to count down again till the next visit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]