Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Glenda's Kruger Journey - Sept 2006
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I received Glenda's sms at 17:52, they arrived safely and:

Quote:
...enjoying the sounds of day wounding down, overlooking the lake at the lodge. A pied kingfisher is keeping us entertained

Nothing about Amarula etc. yet. I suppose they are sussing their livers.... :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Glenda's sms at 19:01:

Quote:
Evening all. Arrived at Punda, 14:30. The bush is tinderbox dry. Temperature is 30 degrees. Took S99 and saw ellies,impies,piggies,buff,kudu and a magnificent Nyala bull. We ended with a dainty Sharpe's Grysbok. Booked a tour to Thulamela site tomorrow.

Quote:
Hugz to the ANGELS.....
:twisted:

I returned hugz from the Angels.... :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A bit late today, received this yesterday:

Quote:
19:40 Tour to Thulamela was great.Well looked after by Lennard and Eric Saw Fish eagle catch lunch at Crook's Corner. Lunched at Pafuri with Nyala and Chacma. Other sightings for today Ellie,Buff, Kori Bustard and Lappetfaced vulture. Lion roaring as I'm busy with sms! Have a good weekend all.

Quote:
20:30 Large spotted Gennet just joined us for supper!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Glenda & SO arrived at Olifants this afternoon after being in Bateleur where there is no mobile phone reception.

We had a long chat and her observations so far;

The tourists in the North are very friendly, no YR spotted, but the YR did get some interest from a lady who wanted to know whether the YR meant something like "just married" - to which Glenda's SO replied, no, sopas geskei (tr = just divorced) :twisted:
The bird sightings were very good which she will report in more detail when she returns.

They had a very unusual sighting at one of the dams at Bateleur - in the water, there are dead trees and stumps. They witnessed late in the afternoon how hundreds of bats emerged from these stumps and trees in the dam - she said that she had taken quite a number of pictures of this.

Glenda also remarked that once they crossed the Tropic of Capricorn, the visitors were far less friendly than what they experienced in the deep North. General game sightings did become more frequent however.

Tomorrow they are meeting with Jazil and Salva at Satara. We wait in anticipation for a further report.

As we were talking, she waxed lyrical about the hippo's who were grunting in the river below. Luckily she did not "make" me listen. Thank you for being merciful to those who are less fortunate...... :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SMS received at 12:04:22 (and this type of nonsense is really not enjoyable... :evil: )

Quote:
Leopard with kill at 8:30, followed by cheetah sighting at 10:15. How's your day been? Heh...heh.

After this sms my day is suddenly tinged with dark depression. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SMS received at 18:01

Quote:
17:15 - 3 young lion at hippo carcass at Olifants

I'm hyperventilating...it seems like they are really having a tough time in Africa.... :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SMS at 18:25

Quote:
Very festive meet with Jazil and Salva today at Satara. Felt like old friends. Piggie was there too.

:shock: Piggie? Who the heck is piggie? Did Jazzie's avvie come to life? :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Glenda's SMS at 14:31

Quote:
Oh dear, I will have to resign after this report; 8:30 at Roodewal waterhole, 3 cheetah drinking and then they marked their turf. Magic - it was just us! 11:00 lions on kill on S40. 2 large males and 2 females! Jackals and vultures in attendance.

:ohgod: This is not fair.... :evil: yes it is, they come from afar...no way, it's still not fair... :evil: Ok, I figured it out...torture the Saffies until they make the Amural recipe public. No way...then no-one from Europe will vist anymore... :twisted:

Last edited by pardus on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SMS from Glenda at 09:25

Quote:
Last sighting at 7:30 - hyena at Olifants camp waiting its turn at hippo carcass. Lions still feeding on it. We have left the Park. :(

I felt so sad for Glenda when I received this sms. :cry:

I am however very intrigued about the hippo kill as it is rather rare IMHO. I wonder whether the lions killed it or whether the hippo was in a fight with another hippo and was killed and the lions had a "free lunch" in the process? It would be interesting to read Glenda's report about this.

Hope they have a pleasant journey back home and cannot wait to start reading her postings.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]