Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Pumbaa what can I say?

Totally stunning drive!!!! :dance:
Pied kingy :clap:
YBK :clap:
Adorable bandie :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just love all your kiekies and sommer jealous of all your sighitngs :thumbs_up:

:popcorn:

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
WOW, What brilliant series of :cam: of the Pied kingfisher, Blacksmith plover, Yellow-billed kite and Mongoose, Pumbaa :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Sandriver causeway is also a great spot for birdies as some come really close which presented one with great opportunity for some close-up :cam: .

The Pieds are just amazing acrobats and you have captured them beautifully. :dance:

The Plover, always present at all the waterways and adding to the variety around. :thumbs_up:

I love the water drinking action of the kite, truly a rare one that you have captured brilliantly. :popcorn:-stuff.

The mongoose are just adorable and captivating to watch. We also love spending time looking at how they communicate with each other and share your sentiments on what you were saying i.e.: "that although staying that often in the African bush already there are still so many things and impressions I still want to experience" :dance:

Thank you for sharing these great moments and looking forward to the 'different road blocks'..... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a fascinating sighting of the Crocodile kill :dance: :dance: But I must say that I was very surprised because I never thought it would take a Croc so long to kill it's prey. Usually they try to take them under water and drown them.
Also brilliant pics of the Kite :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 am 

FAC Member (2013)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fantastic Pumbaa

Last :cam: of the mongoose is a real little cutie. :clap:

Thanks for sharing :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Fantastic Pumbaa

Ditto :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:48 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Stunning pictures of the Pied Kingfisher, Blacksmith Plover and Yellow-billed Kite Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

Great shots of the Banded Mongoose too! :dance: :dance:

Thanks for sharing!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I love all the beautiful pics of the birds, Pumbaa.

But my favourites are the mongoose. They are adorable.

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
I am slowly going through this TR - done first 10 pages. As usual, magnificent bird pix, zebbie foal, and when it comes to the painted ones, I think you and Timon are the luckiest people on earth. :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: Amazing sighting! Thanx P and T! :thumbs_up:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:11 pm 

anne-marie wrote:
the Kite seems realy very intrigued by the "click-clack kodak" :lol:
again nice Kingfisher with a huge fish :wink:
I love the bird testing its wings :thumbs_up: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

The kite could not locate where this strange sound came from :tongue:

john n poppy wrote:
Great sightings and photos pumbaa

Especially the mongoose, you can get some great sightings in camps

John :thumbs_up:

Yes, sometimes the camps offer besides some great bird sightings also other animal sightings where you drive hours and hours to look after :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm 

Heksie wrote:
Pumbaa what can I say?

Totally stunning drive!!!! :dance:
Pied kingy :clap:
YBK :clap:
Adorable bandie :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just love all your kiekies and sommer jealous of all your sighitngs :thumbs_up:

Although maybe the days started a bit slow - The next day as well - but then some great sightings came up :dance:

Kaapsedraai wrote:
WOW, What brilliant series of :cam: of the Pied kingfisher, Blacksmith plover, Yellow-billed kite and Mongoose, Pumbaa :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Sandriver causeway is also a great spot for birdies as some come really close which presented one with great opportunity for some close-up :cam: .

The Pieds are just amazing acrobats and you have captured them beautifully. :dance:

The Plover, always present at all the waterways and adding to the variety around. :thumbs_up:

I love the water drinking action of the kite, truly a rare one that you have captured brilliantly. :popcorn:-stuff.

The mongoose are just adorable and captivating to watch. We also love spending time looking at how they communicate with each other and share your sentiments on what you were saying i.e.: "that although staying that often in the African bush already there are still so many things and impressions I still want to experience" :dance:

Thank you for sharing these great moments and looking forward to the 'different road blocks'..... :hmz:

We do love that causeway as nearly all the others in the parks as well - We can spend always hours there maybe they can build a hide there :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 pm 

flying cheetah wrote:
What a fascinating sighting of the Crocodile kill :dance: :dance: But I must say that I was very surprised because I never thought it would take a Croc so long to kill it's prey. Usually they try to take them under water and drown them.
Also brilliant pics of the Kite :thumbs_up:

Great to have you here flying cheetah :P That was exactly what I thought when approaching this sighting but maybe because the water monitor can dive quite well it took a bit longer :roll:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Fantastic Pumbaa

The mongoose were indeed cuties and sometimes they looked so curious :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:22 pm 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Fantastic Pumbaa

Ditto :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We met another group of them outside in the park when we stayed in Olifants but the ones in camp allowed us to come closer :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
Stunning pictures of the Pied Kingfisher, Blacksmith Plover and Yellow-billed Kite Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

Great shots of the Banded Mongoose too! :dance: :dance:

Thanks for sharing!

The variety of animals in Kruger is quite impressive and I still did not see all the king of mongooses in the park - So we were glad that we got to see these ones again :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:25 pm 

gatita wrote:
I love all the beautiful pics of the birds, Pumbaa.

But my favourites are the mongoose. They are adorable.

More birdies will come up soon and I have to split the following day in a couple of episodes simply because we saw some many different species :wink:

wanderw wrote:
I am slowly going through this TR - done first 10 pages. As usual, magnificent bird pix, zebbie foal, and when it comes to the painted ones, I think you and Timon are the luckiest people on earth. :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen: Amazing sighting! Thanx P and T! :thumbs_up:

Welcome on board Wanda :k Yes, the painted ones were a reliable sighting during our last visits 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:27 pm 

But as we had to leave tomorrow for Satara we wanted to say good-bye to the area here a bit and decided to drive a bit along the S1 until it was time again to turn around.

The first sighting that we had was the passing of an impatient woman hooting at us because we were driving for her liking far too slooooooow. Only around the next corner it was us smiling back at her calmly because she right away drove into a speed trap and had been stopped by the police.

As already supposed it was a quiet evening drive and even it was a Friday evening it was also carwise extreme quiet but we simply had to stop for another green backed heron which came along

and it turned out to be a relative to the one we saw close to Biyamiti as same turned also out to be a comedian.

Back in camp Timon already lit the braai and decided to do some running in camp until the glow might be ready whilst I enjoyed my magical half an hour on the verandah until it was too dark to spot something and I so much hoped that the family of banded mongoose might return as I wanted to hear their cute squeaking once again but here I had no luck but I noticed a never seen bird. Originally I thought it was a falcon which was attacking permanently the sprinkler on the grass and so I positioned myself with the heavy lens on the bench and tried to take some pictures but due to the bad light under the shady trees and due to the heaviness of the lens I struggled too much and most of the pictures came out blurred but on one it was easily recognized as a juvenile African goshawk.

It was already pitch dark until our braai was ready and whilst Timon was enjoying a huge T-bone steak I put my half pizza from yesterday on the braai not thinking that same might still taste that good as yesterday but I was wrong same tasted fantastic from the braai and so we sat still a long time outside and enjoyed the evening.

Saturday, 16th February, 2013 – Skukuza – Satara

We awoke with the feeling that not only our stay in Skukuza but also our holiday was already half way over and so we packed up hastily not too miss that much and not be at the gate too late. As the route to Satara is not that long we decided to once again give the S65 another try but as already experienced the previous days it was a quiet morning for us on that road.

Although before we even could turn into that road we had stop as also a couple of other cars too because two elephants bulls were not sure whether they should be happy about the presence of each other and as they stood on both sides of the road we and also not the other cars dare to pass.

After quite a while the sun meanwhile came up the one decided to join the other and both finally walked away together into the bush.

As already said the whole remaining drive was dead quiet and we even did not see a bird and after a short break at Skukuza we were on our way North but simply had been held up in another road block as on the crossing which leads to the causeway a troop of baboons had taken over nearly the whole road and were about to criss-cross same.

It was very difficult to capture especially the little ones as they were running speedyly around trying to find someone to fool around with.

Although it was only 07.30 o’clock in the morning it was already in the sun extreme hot and compared to the previous days the day might turn into a typical South African summer day with temperatures up to 38 degrees and so we already thought that due to the heat we might not see that much today but we were totally wrong.

First stop was once again on the causeway and as meanwhile all the rushers might have been on their way already we once again stopped at the bulges and simply enjoyed the morning atmosphere. A curious crocodile swam closer and an African pied wagtail said “hi” as well.

A hippo emerged from the water soundlessly and with the morning sun coming from the back

and together with the water / air mixture whilst the hippo breathed out it was a very special atmosphere.

The hamerkop couple was still a bit sleepy whilst we arrived

but a bit later one of them got up and did some stretching and grooming and it looked as if we did find them somewhere on a beach.

White and black feathered fluff balls could also be spotted one of them was a victim of the wind because it’s feathered looked a bit tousled.

Today we in all spotted three of them 2 males and one female

and one of them just caught one of the tiniest fish we ever saw. The water level was still high and lot of debris in form of stuck up branches and roots could be spotted and attracted a lot of birds which landed on them simply to rest or to be on the lookout for some breakfast.

But as we still had a long way to go we finally left with heavy hearts this stunning place.

Due to the road closures of the Southern part of the S36 and later on also the S33 and 34 completely there was indeed not much choice and we simply could only drive the H1-2. Although it was a Saturday traffic wise it was again quiet so we could stop for birds at our heart’s contents where we wanted and how long we wanted without causing in seconds a traffic jam and first stop was made for a large group of European bee eaters

landing on a bush and later flying away in flocks as the red-billed queleas always do.

These colourful cute fluff balls always steel our heart within seconds when they do come across.

[i][b]to be continued......[/b][/i]

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
love all the tousled ones :lol:
the African Goshawk :clap:
the Ellie in the sun and the little "plague" :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 67  Next