Skip to Content

A challenge...

Discuss and participate in the forum projects and fundraisers

Moderator: lion queen

Tyrone

A challenge...

Unread postby Tyrone » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Alright, I've got an idea...

* I hope this falls within the terms and conditions of the forum if not please delete*

We need buy in here guys - how can we make this happen!

I have recently returned from a always amazing KNP trip. I see there is a lot of improvement project in the park for 2010. I, as always frequented several picnic spots in the park and noticed that the "skottels" are looking a little worse for wear.

So here we go I think we should challenge any of the large manufacturers (cadac,handigas etc) to step forward and donate several units to each of the picnic sites.

Do I have any support?? And how can we do this...any suggestions?

michel367

Re: A challenge...

Unread postby michel367 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Tyrone.

Have seen that too and it's a good suggestion you are making.

Try and get hold of the companys or mabe one of the other formites know the way. :thumbs_up:

Tyrone

Unread postby Tyrone » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 pm

107 views and only 1 reply...Im guessing this isnt such a great idea.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Tyrone, no, no, no :big_eyes: ........... don't be put off. I think that it is a great idea. 8) Stick around and wait for more people to pick it up... It's still quiet and many people are having an afternoon snooze.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Micetta » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Tyrone, only 3 1/2hours have passed, Rome was not built in one day! To support by words, is always easy, support by acting is more difficult. Let's give the mites some time to reflect on how to tackle this one :wink: What we need is somebody who knows somebody as always. Maybe only a couple of telephone calls are needed and someone is going to make these calls, don't worry!! ( :hmz: )

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Tyronne it's a great idea. Why not forward the idea to the maufacturers? Cadac I think :hmz:
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby WildThing » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:53 pm

I am open to correction, but I think the original skottels and bottles were first supplied by Cadac to Nkulu - to promote the skottels (using gas) instead of burning wood. Over time skottels have been supplied to other picnic spots, but I am not sure by whom. Maybe as suggested, someone needs to contact Cadac.

Tyrone

Unread postby Tyrone » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Ha, thanks for the encouragement. Seems to be picking up. Will see how we can maybe get a little action... :sniper:

Cheers

wacktazz
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wacktazz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 pm

We worked out with the current gas prices, that we make less than R 1.50 profit if a customer uses it for 20 minutes. Thats burning time.
To replace complete skottels costs hundreds of rands, and the thing that normally goes first is the pipe. Unfortunately Cadac doesn't sell the original blue pipe separetely, so we buy the silver ones, that lasts a few weeks before they wear out. To replace those pipes cost almost R100 each. So the only alternative is to up the prices a bit, as to make at least some money back after a year or two.
I buy gas in excess of R4000 pm- only for botlles, and I receive back in profit less than R400.
So its a debatable situation, but I agree that our skottles needs to be upgraded.
It's nice to be a person. You must just be a nice person!
www.facebook.com/wacktazz

Tyrone

Unread postby Tyrone » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Yah Wacktazz I can totally understand your predicament as an individual who uses gas from time to time I have often wondered how a profit is made from the R15 surcharge especially when one considers maintenance! Im thinking ill try to contact cadac or the likes..

Also how can I contact you privately over the forum wack? Sorry im pretty new at this forum stuff. I understand you work from Nkhulu, had a buff pie there 2 weeks ago mmm, Im just wanting to ask a few questions about becoming a supplier to sanparks...got some good ideas...I think :D

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:19 pm

Tyrone, I think you have started an amazing thread and I do hope someone has some good connections/contacts that can get this the envisaged results. :clap:
I agree the skottels are definitely looking a little worse for wear at some of the picnic sites.

You can contact Wacktazz by sending him a private message, hit the pm button at the bottom of one of his posts.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

gerharddb
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gerharddb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I think its a great idea! It can work.. seriously! We can even go to other companies like outdoor warehouse or similar stores that can maby help out.

I will also check out the situation this comming weekend :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :whistle:
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Micetta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Aha! Gerhard is interested in skottels; can only mean that he can chew again 8) :lol:

Sprocky

Unread postby Sprocky » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:12 pm

Tyrone, get in touch with "Bosvelder" here on the forum. He has a budget that he can dispose of, as long as it is in the right region. If you don't come right send me a PM. :wink:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi Tyrone! Great idea and initiative :clap:

As you noted in your first post, there are rules and regs with regard to projects on the forums - and the mods (VHRs) are equipped to assist you with these, to investigate if a project is viable, contact the relevant SANParks officials and see if they need the equipment for eg and so forth.

I am going to move this topic to the Wild Projects forum.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “SANParks VHR Wild Projects”