Skip to Content

Plant: Crossandra greenstockii

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

peter1

Plant: Crossandra greenstockii

Unread postby peter1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi,

I've taken some photos of wildflowers in the Park. I have 3 books: Manning: Wildflowers of South Africa; Germishuizen & Clarke: Wildflowers of Northern Soutj Africa; Roodt: Common Wild Flowers of the Okavango Delta.
None of these books seem to be good enough to ID flowers comprehensively enough. Any suggestions?
Here are some of my pics. Can anyone help to ID?
Thanks
Peter

Jakkalsbessie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: What Wildflower book & Flower ID?

Unread postby Jakkalsbessie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:48 am

Sorry that i'm only replying now Peter, we are moving offices and it is chaos over here :evil:

I can tell you that i have (i think) more than 60 different flower, plant and tree books (if not more :roll: ) and there are still 1000's of plants not in there :wall: You must remember SA has an amazing richness of flora and i think it is propably impossible to put all of these in guides.

My guess will be as follow:

#2 Crossandra greenstockii;

Hope this helps!
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

Fieldnotes

Re: Plant: Crossandra greenstockii

Unread postby Fieldnotes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 am

I belief this plant may be Crossandra zuluensis. In our region Crossandra greenstockii is found more on the higher altitudes (above 900 m a.s.l.) while Crossandra zuluensis is found in the warm Lowveld. Crossandra zuluensis have hairless bracts (those green leaves just below the red flowers).

A more special Crossandra (similar looking, size and flower colour than above photo) that one would find in the Kruger is the Crossandra mucronata (Sabi Crossandra). Most of its know distribution is within the Park. The Sabi Crossandra can be identified with a silvery cover of hairs on the lower surfaces of the leaves and bracts which is also slightly narrower.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Plant: Crossandra greenstockii

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 am

Hi Fieldnotes and a warm welcome to you............ :gflower:

Thank you for all the wonderful information!! Great to have someone here with so much knowledge! :clap: :clap:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Return to “Plants”