flower ID help

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks
Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: flower ID help

Unread postby Tessa G » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:39 pm

ecojunkie wrote:
Tessa G wrote:Could I have help in identifying this plant, seen at the Girivana Waterhole in the Satara area.

My 'on tap' expert says this is in the Chincerinchees family, but without her books she is not sure exactly which one it is.

Thanks EJ and please thank your 'on tap expert'. I have looked further and it would appear to be, Albuca Seineri or Bushveld Chincerinchees.
TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

December 2015/2016 in Kruger - From Top to Tail
15 - 19 Punda Maria
20 - 22 Shingwedzi
23 - 25 Letaba
26 - 01 Tamboti
02 - 04 Lower Sabie
05 - 06 Skukuza

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:56 pm

Timbits wrote:Can someone assist with the id of these flowers, please? They were seen in KTP in the 10 km stretch between Twee Rivieren and the Aoub valley. The photos are all from early December 2014, before the rains came.

Is this senecio eenuii – sore eye flower?

Think this might rather be Hirpicium gazaniodes ( botterblom)

Is this wild senna?

Yes this is Senna Italica subsp Arachoides (Swartstormbossie, elandsertjie/wild senna, Eland's pea)

Is this gifbol?

This one looks like Boophane Disticha to me (gifbol, kopseerblom/ bushman poison bulb, tumble weed

I have no idea what this one is.

Looks lik Aptosimum Albomarginatum to me (koegab)

Or this. Apologies for the poor shot, maybe the leaves will be indicative?

Tribulus zeyheri subsp zeyheri ( dubbeltjie)
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 pm

Here are two more plants that I need ID help with. I saw them in the Shingwedzi area in early November 2014.

1st plant/flower

2nd plant/flower

RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Timbits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Timbits » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:16 am

Thanks EJ and Lion Queen. Very much appreciated :gflower: Not bad, I guessed 2/5 :tongue:

lion queen wrote:Timbits next visit see if the shops still have Flowering plants of the Kalahari dunes

Isbn:978062027411

A lovely book to have when game viewing is not delivering much!!!

That is precisely why I took the photos :lol: :lol: :lol: It was a very slow afternoon.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Can anyone help with an ID for these flowers, seen in the Talamati (KNP) area in mid-November 2014.

1st flower:

2nd flower:

RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lemonbalm » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi Arks,

Your first plant from 23rd Feb post is Kanahia laniflora. It is in the Apocynaceae (Dogbane family) subtribe Asclepiadinae (Milkweeds - the ones the monarch butterfly lays on). Olifants river is as far south in SA as I have ever seen it, and its distribution extends Northwards right through Africa to just into the Middle East. As far as I know it does not have a common name, but the species epithet means wooly flowered, which if you have a close look they certainly are. This is one of the very few riverine Ascleps. If there any other questions about these plants I am happy to answer them - I was doing this group for a PhD but had to quit due to circumstances beyond my control. I still love the plants though!

When looking at Asclep flowers, it interesting to note that they have extra bits. A normal dicot bisexual flower has from outside to inside; sepals (calyx all together), petals (corolla), stamens (androecium - male parts), and carpel/s (gynoecium - female parts). In the above flower the white blobs are an extra whorl called the corona. The stamens are highly developed and fused to form a column protecting the gynoecium, so corona, meaning crown, is fairly apt as the corona lobes form a crown at the base of the column.

This photo was taken in the Olifants river at the layby in low level bridge.

The second is Maerua angolensis in Capperaceae (Caper family). Don't know much about it other than that I'm afraid.

Then from your 5th March post, the first plant is Drimia mostly likely altissima, English common name = tall white squill; Afrikaans = Reuselangkop. It is in the Hycinthaceae family

The second is Crinum buphanoides, I think the most likely common name is Spider lily. Crinum falls within the Amaryllidaceae family.
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." ~ E. B. White

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Apologies, lemonbalm, I had totally missed your post (I was travelling during July and not often on the forum). :redface:

It's interesting that I received elsewhere two different but similar IDs for the plants that I had posted on 27 February. What you have IDed as Kanahia laniflora, was also IDed as Gomphocarpus fruticosus, which I believe is the same family? And the one that you have IDed as Maerua angolensis, was elsewhere IDed as Thilachium africanum, again I believe the same family? Definitely interesting to have these different yet similar IDs.

Many thanks and again, apologies for this very belated reply :redface:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lemonbalm » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi Arks,

Your pic is definitely of Kanahia laniflora. Gomphocarpus fruticosus has hairy fruit, and smaller flowers with reflexed petals. G. fruticosus has opposite arrangement of leaves (2 leaves at a node) whilst K. laniflora usually has 3-4 leaves at a node. The first pic is of the flowers of G. fruticosus (pic taken near Chrissiesmeer), and the second is of a typical fruit, but this is on a hybrid between Gomphocarpus fruticosus and physocarpus (in the Western Cape - Riviersonderend). The flowers on this individual were typical of G. physocarpus whilst the fruits are typical of G. fruticosus.

Both Kanahia laniflora and Gomphocarpus fruticosus occur in the park, and both can be 'riverine', but Kanahia laniflora grows in the river bed while Gomphocarpus fruticosus (a pioneer plant) prefers the edges of rivers, especially those that have recently flooded leaving behind disturbed ground. You will also likely encounter Gomphocarpus fruticosus on roadsides for the same reasons.
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." ~ E. B. White

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:02 pm

WoW, lemonbalm, thanks for this most interesting further information. You make it very clear which plant mine is and why :thumbs_up: One of the real strengths of this forum is that we can all benefit from your knowledge 8) I really appreciate your detailed explanations and find the information very interesting.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lemonbalm » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Only a pleasure Arks!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:46 am

Can anyone help with IDs for these, posted above under Cape plants?
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

Return to “Plants”