Skip to Content

Impala Lily (Adenium multiflorum)

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Impala Lily (Adenium multiflorum)

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:34 pm

The Impala lily is poisonous, and was used as part of a arrow poison concoction and as a fish poison. It contains more than 30 cardiac glycosides. It is however not very dangerous and was not used on its own. I do believe your dog should be quite safe ... but no promises!

The same can not be said of a related species, found in Namibia, which is known to be extremely toxic.

Will post some pics soon - the flowers seem more whiter than the usual flower with the pink edge not that broad, maybe because it is still young.

:hmz: The Namibian species (Adenium boehmianum) has a white flower with pink in the "eye".
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postby KNP-Junkee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks Imberbe, I had a look on google at the Namibian one, lovely flowers but I was convinced this morning when I got up that they are indeed Impala lilys, a few more flowers opened up. The shape also defines it clearly.

This was the whiter flower I was refering to, I can only think they become whiter as they get older, because the colors on the new flowers are stunning!

Two pics from last night :

Then this morning :

Crested Barbet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Crested Barbet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Admiring the beauty of the impala lilies at Shingwedzi

I noticed that if you look closer

there may be even more to see.

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:22 am

Impala Lillies at Malelane Gate
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

From the Caribbean

Unread postby MelissaK » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello, everyone!

Finally I find this forum, and can post a photo of a sad Impala Lily I found in the Botanical garden here on St. Croix, in the Caribbean.

They have it in a smallish pot, three or four gallons, in mostly shade, and soaking wet! The ferns crowding the pot must be saving its' life. The plant is over two meters tall, and has grayish, rounded, wavy leaves. The few small flowers are breath taking. They are a bit narrower than any of the other Impala Litllies in photos. The main stem is smaller than my wrist. it's a sad example compared to the photos I've seen here and online.

I need to talk to the man a little more. He was not impressed with the plant. He said he'd dug it up. He was so grouchy that I didn't want to pressure him much more. I will ask him if there was a caudex.

Will a cutting take root like other Adeniums? There is a new sprout at the bottom, green and growing madly, would that take root better than an older part of this plant?

They refuse to sell this plant, and I am trying to convince them to give/sell me a cutting. But I want to be sure that it will root!

Can I pollinate the blooms on the plant, or, is it self-fertile, meaning, do I have to have a different Adenium for pollination? We don't have any insects here that pollinate Adeniums.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Melissa

john n poppy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Succulent: Impala Lily (Adenium multiflorum)

Unread postby john n poppy » Mon May 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi all,

Just for info, I bought a 15cm impala lily from skukuza last year and brought it home as a root without soil in my staffordshire, England. :D

I thought it might have died over winter.....but 2 weeks ago it began to grow and I now have 2 leaves growing out of the top. :dance:

I have it in a pot with a glass dome over it, facing the sun, so it doesnt get too cold.

I was wundering how many years is it till it may flower...does anyone know?

john :thumbs_up:
SAY NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER NP...before its too late

Kruger NP - August 2016 - 2 1/2 weeks....the countdown begins

Return to “Plants”