Skip to Content

Tree: Buffalo thorn (Ziziphus mucronata)

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Tree: Buffalo thorn (Ziziphus mucronata)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:11 am

The local people believes that if u die in the veld for example get trampled by an elephant that a branch from a nearby buffalo thorn should be taken to retrieve your spirit from it.

When transported a seperate seat must be booked for the branch as it is still seen as a person.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

buffalo thorn

Unread postby fevertree » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:08 am

The other belief associated with this tree is that it is a link between heaven and earth. The hooked thorn holds the person spirit on earth, while the straight thorn directs the spirit to heaven.
A Leopard in a Fevertree, one day......

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:32 am

South AfricanNational Parks Imbewu Youth Programme wrote:Participants identify and learn about species, discovering, for example, the medicinal properties of plants. Examples include the weeping wattle tree used for cleansing bad spells in a village or yard; Aloe which can be used for blood cleansing and for the treatment of burns; and the use of Buffalothorn tree - Ziziphus mucronata - to heal abscesses having mixed the leaves in hot water.

Which nicely adds a use for WTM's weeping wattle as well.

And a funny story that ties in with the first post: Read it.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postby ceruleanwildfire » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:51 am

Besides heeling abscesses, the boiled leaves make for a nice version of bush spinach. Very nutritious.

Return to “Plants”