Skip to Content

Indigenous Seed Bombing

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

bosneus

Indigenous Seed Bombing

Unread postby bosneus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi all.

We live next to an empty erf in Joburg, doesn't look too good, basically overgrown and ugly.

Instead of pestering the owner to clean it again, which just leaves it dusty anyway, I would like to throw some seed bombs (see http://funtimehappygardenexplosion.blogspot.com/2007/08/guerilla-gardening-seed-bombs.html and http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2008/apr/25/seedbombing) in there to see whether a few flowers would make it look nicer.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to what seeds I can use and where I can get them; my requirements are that they are indigenous flowering plants and that they will survive the highveld.

Planning to do this middle of August.

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby restio » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Cool idea. 8)

Unfortunately, I live in the Cape, so don't know the Highveld flowers. :? I would go to the nursery at Kirstenbosch, and ask for advice. I see that there's one at the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens - perhaps that's a good place to start? See here.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 am

Try http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/ they do have a seed catalogue that also specifies the region the plants would grow in.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

bosneus

Thanks

Unread postby bosneus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks nè, that helped, appreciate the advice :)

I'll post some info on how it went once I start seeing the new plants emerge :D

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:18 am

What an interesting idea!! 8)
Bosneus, I will really appreciate your feedback on whether it worked….I would like to try this with impala lilies in the bush around my house in Marloth.

bosneus

Re: Indigenous Seed Bombing

Unread postby bosneus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Hey Jumbo

Bit of a late reply, but some info.

Couldn't find clay powder, so resorted to using river clay (sticky mud, basically).

After my last post we had a long spell with no rain last year, then lots of rain, then a dry spell again. This is probably the reason why not so many seedbombs worked. Probably only the very hardy plants survived the dryness, and no visible difference was made :)

I'm guessing that something like Nasturtiums or Afrikaners (african marigolds? unsure about the english) would work very well though, might try it.

Don't know about the Impala Lilies, I'd say give it a shot, but try to find nice clay, as I think better clay might also help in retaining moisture. Good luck :)

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Thank you for the feedback, Bosneus 8)
I was considering doing this end of last year but was not sure about how much rain we will get…now realize I should have just done it. Will definitely give it a try this year. 8)

Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imax » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm

just a question here from someone who grows a lot of plants from seed.

If you mix the seed with the wet clay, the moisture in the clay will activate the seed to start germinating. when the clay then dries out, the seed effectively dies then and reduces your success rate?

just asking?

Return to “Plants”