Skip to Content

PhD student from Canada looking for help collecting

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks
MattStata

PhD student from Canada looking for help collecting

Unread postby MattStata » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Matt, I'm a PhD student at the University of Toronto. I am studying Blepharis, a genus of flowering plants that grows throughout Africa. I'm trying to establish a live collection of key species. I have received a database of GPS coordinates of recent collections from the National Herbarium in Pretoria and many collections of key species have been made in or around some of these arid national parks, particularly Namaqua, Richtersveld, and Augrabies. I am wondering if the moderators or other participants in this forum might be able to help put me in touch with interested collectors who could help me obtain seed of some of these species which are critically important for me research? I have a collection trip planned for early 2016 but the reality of such field work is that I can only really expect to get a handful of species, and only if the weather cooperates; hence I am trying to establish a network of collaborators and local collectors to help me with this massive undertaking. I am able to provide some financial compensation in return for successful collections and will also happily acknowledge anyone who helps on any publications that result from species obtained. I will also gladly do any work necessary to get any permits or permission required. As I said I have detailed collection site information including GPS coordinates, site description, and collection dates, as well as photographs and other identification materials which I can provide.

Here is an image link to show the general appearance of the leaves/flowers of Blepharis (although the flower colour varies between species):

http://www.southernafricanplants.net/ph ... trata3.jpg

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me in this matter, I really appreciate any help I can get in this work. Please either reply here or contact me via email at:

matt.stata (AT) mail.utoronto.ca or mattstata (AT) gmail.com.

Thanks!

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Re: PhD student from Canada looking for help collecting

Unread postby barryels » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:51 am

Dear MattStata,

Welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: .

I have referred your request to the SANParks Public Relations Division for their input.

I also know that the move of your initial topic under Arid Parks to the "Plant" forum will have some positive results and inputs by our 'mites that specializes in this environment :thumbs_up: .

Here is a Link to the Plant Index for additional information and discussions about flora in SANParks.
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:01 am

A very warm welcome to you MattStata. :gflower:

There are a few botanists who browse the forum.

I have not seen Lemonbalm online for sometime, but she might be able to help. I suggest you try to send a private message. This is her trip report. I will try to alert her to your request.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75528
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

lemonbalm
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lemonbalm » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Matt,

I have emailed you on your gmail address.

Thanks MM :gflower:
"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." ~ E. B. White

MattStata

Unread postby MattStata » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Hello all, and thanks for the warm welcome! Barry, thanks for moving my post to the correct forum, this definitely seems a better fit. Lemonbalm, thanks for the email, very helpful (I responded, as well).

If anyone else has any knowledge of this genus and is interested in helping me, please send a message or email as well! I can't believe how much interest and help I've had in just 24 hours.

Attached here is an HTML map (zipped because apparently I can't attach HTML files but ZIP is okay) I generated with collection data, if that's helpful at all to any enthusiastic botanists/naturalists/plant lovers. You can zoom in to specific regions, and the collection points display detailed site information if clicked.

Thanks again!
Attachments
Blepharis Collections from 1975-Present.zip
(26.56 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Return to “Plants”