SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cape Chestnut Tree
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am hoping some mite might be able to give me some advice. :D

In our main street of town there is a beautiful Cape Chestnut tree. It is a real feature in the town centre when it is flowering with its magnificent clustered pink flowers.

If I swivel in my chair where I sit in my shop, and look out the window, I look directly at it. Often visitors from other states and regions ask me what species the tree is as they are so taken with it.

Just now I collected several seeds that have fallen.

Now.......who can tell me the best way to coax these very large, hard seeds into germinating? :hmz:

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Cape Chestnut Tree
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi threedogs!,

I've got this from the plantzafrica website:

"Calodendrum capense (Cape chestnut) is propagated by seed or cuttings. Seed can be sown as soon as it drops in late summer to autumn, or kept refrigerated and sown the following spring or summer. Sow in deep trays in well-drained soil. Germination should take 10-40 days but may be erratic with older seed. In colder climates, bottom heat should be used. This tree has a relatively long juvenile phase and will rarely flower until it is 7 or 8 years old.

Cuttings should be taken from new growth in spring to early summer, treated with a rooting hormone and rooted under mist using bottom heat. Trees propagated by cuttings should flower in 4 to 5 years.
Young trees transplant easily and under ideal conditions can grow nearly 1 m in a year."

:thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Cape Chestnut Tree
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi 3D,

I wonder if you shouldn't try planting half as is and lightly sand papering the other half. You sandpaper them on the opposite side of the seed from the growth point. Also, maybe remember that the climate (esp seasons) are the same in Aus as here, so I'm not sure you will need the hot house? - they may need the cold to germinate. Not sure on your temps in Naracoote, but I have seen them grow in the KZN midlands where it gets Cold in winter (-5 to teens). Hope you haev success! They are wonderful trees!