Honey Badger

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
big5spotter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Honey Badger

Unread postby big5spotter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Got my 1ste HB in our last trip!
'When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others'

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Gemma T

Unread postby Gemma T » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:38 pm

I have to say I didn't know how lucky we were on my first KNP visit in 2005. We stayed at Satara for a week and about 5 km North we saw a ratel every single day!! He was great!! He stayed by the road was happy to just sit there and wasn't shy at all. Over the week we must have spend 2 hours plus sitting with him!! I have to say he was one of my favourite animals of that trip.

This time round (Jul/Aug 2009) I never saw a single one. Although my boyfriend did come back from the communal kitchen rather white-faced one morning when he'd met one in there!!! hee hee

Thought you might like to see a couple of pics of the one we saw in 2005.

Gemma
When I'm not in the Park, I'm thinking of it...
Bittersweet Return to Paradise TR - Aug 2011

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby normana53 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 am

After reading all of the posts on this thread I realise that SO and I were very, very fortunate on our first trip to Kruger this past September. We watched two Honey Badger digging for insects for almost an hour, while on the Tropic of Capricorn Loop a little south of N'wambu Pan. My wife handed me the Video camera as they were on my side of the road, so I didn't get any shots from my digital camera. At some point I hope to be able to extract a decent photo from the digital video. It was quite comical watching them throw dirt a metre or more in the air while digging a huge hole, while three Yellow-Billed Hornbills stayed close by to catch any of the insects that got by the Badgers.
We also took video of another Honey Badger jogging near the S40 south of Timbavati. I hope that three on our first trip are not our last. We really enjoyed watching them.
Flight Booked,Tamboti, Talamati, Satara and Olifants Trail Booked, can't wait for November 5/11- 18/11

shortcourse

Unread postby shortcourse » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:17 am

I have posted this elsewhere but when we were in Kruger in August 2009, driving on the H1-1 to Pretoriuskop we came across a caracal AND a honey badger walking down the road alongside one another!!! I was so excited I didn't know which one to take a picture of! Managed to get pics of both but unfortunately not in the same shot though. Unbelievable!

On the same trip we had four other honeybadger sightings. While up at Shingwedzi we stopped to look at a hyena eating something. Unfortunately we could not make it out but later came across a couple who were also looking at the hyena and they confirmed that it was a honey badger that was being eaten.

None seen on this last trip though :( Still, can't complain!!!

Elsa

Re: honey badgers in the camps

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am

We stayed in Orpen for 3 nights last Feb and altho we turned the fridge around, never had any Honey Badger visitors, they must have been away on vacation or something. :wink:
I also want to see them but I guess not tearing into my groceries! :roll:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 am

Saw this fellow 3 weeks ago on the S106 near Rabelais in Kruger:

If you want to see more pics have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=43885&start=45
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Well done, flying cheetah! :dance:

They are very difficult to photograph while on the move!

A very rare daylight pic! :shock:

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby normana53 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:51 am

This is a video we made on the Tropic of Capricorn Loop this past September (2009)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQXhy90vqY[/video]

We watched them for well over a half hour, while other cars drove by without stopping. I guess if it's not big it isn't interesting to many, but we enjoy the small things so much more, and generally don't have to fight for a good view.
Flight Booked,Tamboti, Talamati, Satara and Olifants Trail Booked, can't wait for November 5/11- 18/11

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:28 am

Nice :clap: thank you
and the Calao act (play) the PCG :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 am

Very entertaining video, thanks Normana :clap: Also nice to watch the Hornbill jumping around the digging badgers. I really don't know how somebody can pass such a sighting without stopping :doh:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

norms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Honey Badger Scavenging Dustbins

Unread postby norms » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 am

Theuns H - I too have witnessed this Honey-Badger scavanging in the bins at Satara. The last time I saw him he was accompanied by a female and in between knocking over the dustbins they were mating. Great sight!

I agree that Satara management needs to address this problem by installing animal proof dustbins (finances??) or catching the little guy and releasing him in the bush.
He is not the only one around the camp area - there seems to be a few of them.
If you want something you never had, do something you have never done.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Fanta
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Fanta » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:49 pm

I saw my very first honey badger in Kruger in March this year during the annual forum weekend. Busy driving from Tshokwane on the mountain road towards LS. In the car the code name for HB is Stoffel (a HB at Moholoholo Rehab in Hoedspruit) anyway the cry came out "Stoffel!" and in the middle of the road was HB jogging along.

Then stopped...the dropped something from it's mouth...it was a baby HB! She then picked up by it's scruff and went on walking she stopped every few meters to get a grip of the pup. We were the only car and we followed her for about 100 - 200 meters before she went into the tall grass.
A car saw us standing where she disappeared into and they didn't believe us until we showed them the pictures.

The picture is not the best since we were driving and following the HB and trying to take pictures of it :whistle: . But no less here is the best pic of mom and cub 8)

"People who have nothing to say, speak the loudest." - John Rzeznik

Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Spotted Cat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Fanta!!! What a fantastic sighting :clap: :clap:
"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 am

How lucky can one car get! Baby HB must be one of the top rare sightings ever! :dance: :dance: :dance:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Fanta
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Fanta » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Just seeing a Honey Badge was quite awesome but seeing her pup! Oh man I know will take another 20 years to see that properly again :D

I just hope my Badger luck is in with our week trip
"People who have nothing to say, speak the loudest." - John Rzeznik

Return to “Mammals”