Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Rarest mammal in all of SANParks
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have to disagree with AARDWOLF, you are more likely to see an aardwolf in MZNP than a cheetah... I saw 5 in one morning the last time I was there! Any areas in any of the parks where there are lots of anthills means there are lots of aardwolf...

My money would be on the small-spotted/black-footed cat or the suni, or maybe even the oribi?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Michel :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I'll be extra observant around Nsemani next time :D

I would say the rarest of all mamals in SANparks would be
Black leopard
White Lion.

Maybe people would not consider this a legitimate nomination since it's strictly speaking still a lion and leopard

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

nsmnsi wrote:
This is my first post on these forums. I will be visiting KNP at the end of September, 2011.

When I was a regular visitor in the 1960s, the blue duiker was considered one of the rarest mammals in South Africa.

Does anyone know the status of these little antelope today?

I was under the impression that the blue duiker is extinct in the National Parks :?

I found this lovely website about a breeding program for Blue Duikers here

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:54 am 

michel367 wrote:
naomi wrote:
Oh, and I think the samango monkeys are only found in Hluhluwe Game Reserve.

Samango monkeys can be found in the far north of the KNP, but they are very rare. :thumbs_up:

cheetah2111 wrote:
What about a bushpig? Is there a SANpark where they can be seen commonly? If not, it must be one of the rarest mammals.

I have seen Bushpig quite regularly at Nsemani dam near Satara. :thumbs_up:

2cent's worth - My vote would go to the Samango monkeys!

We live in a small farm town called Piet Retief in Mpumalanga,30 km from the Swaziland border.
Here in our vicinity bushpigs are considered a plague! They are seen regularly, and every crop farmers worst nightmare. Especially when the crop has just been planted. They will dig into the ground with their noses and eat all the seeds. Amazing to watch!
My guess would be that they fled from Swaziland (without a passport :twisted: ) to escape from the local dog-hunters. Luckily dog hunting is illegal here in SA.
I've even heard that they're interbreeding with regular pigs. :shock:

I am considering to begin my own "Bushpig nightdrives"!
Who'll support me? :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The Riverine Rabbit must surely be the rarest mammal :hmz:

According to Wikipedia :
Quote:
The Riverine Rabbit (Bunolagus monticularis), also known as the Bushman Rabbit or Bushman Hare, is one of the rarest and most endangered mammals in the world, with probably no more than 200 individuals left. This rabbit has an extremely limited distribution area, found only in the central and southern regions of the Karoo Desert of South Africa's Cape Province. It is the only member of the genus Bunolagus.

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
jungle jenny wrote:
I'd say the King Cheetah!!!! :D :D :D :D

It is not a separate species. It's the same as the white lions of Timbavati, just a colour variation. (But I bet you knew it)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 am 

how about the white tailed mongoose??

only ever seen one(the person i was with lives in KNP and he said it was only the second he had ever seen)

OTOH, saw one crossing the N4 in March en route KNP, and saw a family in Bakgatla camp, ran past our chalet a few times

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just for interest sake - some of the rarer South African mammals are more readily seen
in "other" conservation areas :-

Samango monkey :- Cape Vidal & Oribi Gorge
Red Duiker – Cape Vidal & StLucia village [ Also Wyllies Poort North of Louis
Trichardt town – The Soutpans Berg stretches East to KNP [ Punda Maria ],
have they ever been observed there ?
Aard Wolf – Esemvelo Nature Reserve N-E of Brinkhortspruit plus game farms in
Pongola area.
Brown Hyena – Esemvelo Nature Reserve
White tipped mongoose – common nocturnal camp visitor in KTFP
Blue Duiker – common in all coastal forested areas in residential areas of Natal coast
and as far South as East London coastal forested areas.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:48 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

100ponder wrote:
Aard Wolf – Esemvelo Nature Reserve N-E of Brinkhortspruit plus game farms in
Pongola area.

They are very often seen on the drives in Mountain Zebra too.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There is a list of bat species which have only ever been recorded in the Pafuri Region of the Kruger National Park and no where else in South Africa. Don't know if this will constitute as "rare"?

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Short-eared Trident bat? Its extremely rare as far as I know

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is listed as Critically Endangered Pjw however one can still find this bat in other localities within SA, but there are a number of species which one is able to catch in surrounding countries such as Mozambique and Zimbabwe yet they have only ever been recorded at one locality in South Africa and that's the Pafuri region.

Species which I'm referring to are along the likes of Persian Trident Bat (Triaenops persicus), Spotted Free Tailed Bat (Chaerphon bivittatus), Malagasy Free Tailed Bat (Tadarida fulminans) and so on. There are also species such as Giant Yellow House Bat (Scotophilus nigrita) which has only been reocrded at Ngw*nya Lo*ge and no where else in South Africa. Variegated Butterfly Bat (Glauconycteris variegata) can be found at Pafuri and is one of the best places to try catch this species however one could also try their luck in eastern KZN as its a similar habitat, however it is still incredibly rare in South Africa as a whole.

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi There NetEk,

Im currently trying to update the bat write ups on the forum but its taking some time due to exams. In these I will have a picture of the species related to the topic. Until then, I will PM you a link to my Facebook page where I have a fair amount of posts on bats :wink:

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So , how and where do you find these interesting, cute , elusive , nocturnal little creatures when they're not roosting in the roof of your bungalow :hmz:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Okie- It's rather tough, especially in Kruger where one is not able to handle the animals unless it is for an approved SANParks endorsed research project.
One also needs permits in the majority of our provinces in order to capture and handle bats.
However this does not mean you still cant look around and search for these little guys.

One should always look for simple yet easily over looked signs which will lead you to the presence of bats being in the area.
These include white urine stains on the sides of houses and bungalows, brown semi circular oil marks surrounding a small crevice/hole, droppings at the base of the roost, sounds (ie. audible squeaks such as the high level bridges in Kruger) and smell (Free Tailed Bats especially, emit a pungent smell when roosting together in large colonies).

At first it's extremely tough searching for bats and often people will try it once or twice and get rather despondent because they have not found any, but one must persevere.
Slowly but surely as you start reading up on the species and familiarizing yourself with where a particular species would prefer to roost your areas that you check out start to change.
For example if one were to look for roosting Horseshoe Bats, a cave dwelling species, one would not look in a bungalow but instead in hollow trees with a fairly large trunk.

The easiest places to find bats within Kruger are on the sides of the Lala Palms, under the leaves of Lala Palms, under the thatch over hangs, in the thatch itself where the bricks, poles and thatch meet, hollow trees (be careful of snakes and scorpions) and even under safari tents.
The lekker thing about Kruger is that bats will utilize almost any man made construction as a roost so one does not always have to look in places such as trees and so on although this is still advisable.

One would also need to know what species would roost where so whether a species is a crevice dweller or a cave dweller, a free hanging rooster or one which will roost under bark.
This will help you be able to target different species.
So lets say I was aiming to find Free Tailed Bats: I would immediately go look in the thatched accommodation and the expansion joints of the high level bridges as they are crevice dwellers whereas if i was searching for Epauletted Fruit Bats I would look in the Lala Palms or trees with sufficient foliage cover surrounding the fruit trees.

Hope this helps a little bit? :wink:

Stiffnecks Member