SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lions with TB - Not for sensitive viewers
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Imberbe... that is some really interesting information. :thumbs_up:

Whilst I completely agree with letting mother nature take it's course - and i TOTALLY agree with the sentiment that life and death is a natural cycle... I can't get over the fact that the TB was introduced to the KNP lions from cattle in the south.

If the problem is caused by humans to begin with, i.e. cattle farmed by humans...

Imberbe wrote:
The concentration of TB in the South is because that is the area where it entered the park from infected cattle.

...doesn't that mean that us humans should be intervening in order to halt a disease which ultimately came (indirectly) from us in the first place? :hmz:

Donny - thank you for taking the time to post that picture and story. It is amazing how tough these creatures are... could you imagine being sick with TB and going out to hunt for your own food? I don't reckon I'd make it to the local corner store - or even to my letterbox. Truly amazing animals.

Thanks again for everyone's comments - this is a really interesting (and very sad) thread :?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, considerable work has been done to try and get a solution to this problem. There is an active scientific study running even as we speak and it has been running for quite a few years already.

At a time it was actually considered to cull all the buffalo in the south and to re-populate KNP from the north. This could not be done because a. TB is not restricted to buffalo and b. TB was much more widely spread than initially thought.

Medication is not a workable option at the moment because of the scale of the problem, and the problems associated with accurate and blanket medication, and the need for repeated medication of affected animals.

There is a program to breed disease free buffalo from Kruger stock, to ensure that the genes are safeguarded.

Many types of animals are affected by TB including lion, giraffe, kudu, leopard, baboon and impala. Buffalo are seen as the main carriers of the disease, and are most affected by it.

TB is a long running illness and does not kill over night. As such TB does not pose an imminent catastrophic thread to any species in KNP at the moment. It may however have more subtle influences, by changing population dynamics.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have just returned from our trip to the KNP. The Croc bridge pride were feasting on a carcass for about 4 days and we had very good sightings of them all (12 adults and sub adults) . Most of them (that I could see) had been branded and one had a colar, so it is obvious that this pride is being studied and monitored. Several of them showed clear signs of tb, while the others seemed in good shape. What really struck me was the gender balance. We could find only 2 females, one of which seemed to have tb. Could it be that females are more vulnerable to tb?

Post subject: Branded Lions
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm 

Saw quite on old lion male on the H3 last month with the number 5 branded onto his right back leg. Can anyone let me know what the branding is for?

Regards,
Lynda

Post subject: Re: Branded Lions
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 pm 

My guess would be that it could very well be part of the Bovine TB research program Lynda.

Maybe if you have a read through the Lion Topic you will be able to find the info.
A big topic I know but loads of info and great pics of Lions in there. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:15 pm 

TB monitoring. and not just the TB status of individuals, but the dynamics of the pride/territory structure.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

A long term project looking at lion demographics and the effect of bovine tuberculosis amongst other things. The pride males in certain prides under study were branded to be able to identify them and be able to see where they moved. 4 males who took over a pride in the Berg-en-Dal area, for example, were found to also associate with 2 other prides and eventually left and are now reported to be in the Jock area!

A senior female in the pride was also fitted with a radio collar so her movements could be tracked and the pride located for visual studies several times a year. This allowed the researchers to see which males were with the pride, the make up of the pride, any cubs born and how long they survived, favourite prey animals, etc.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:33 am 

Fascinating, is this to see how TB is spread? Branding seems a bit invasive :| I suppose for a very long study it must be the best solution.

Has there been any solutions to the TB problem since the study began? And who is doing the research? Is it still ongoing?

It was very sad seeing a pride of lion near Skakusa 2011, all the adults looked like they had it, just ambling down the road sunset. Skin and bone, eyes a bit glazed over. One female had a small litter of tiny cubs in tow they also looked under sized and undernourished, very wobbly on their skinny legs. There was plenty of game around.

How do buffalo get TB in the first place?

Sorry for all the questions but some posters here seem to know what's going with the situation so I thought I would ask.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Bovine TB (BTB) was spread to buffalo from infected cattle in the south of the park during contact in the early days of the park. It has spread right through Kruger now because of the social structure of the buffalo (large herds with close contact, forming splinter groups which then join other groups, etc) and to many other animals too (baboons, lions, kudus, banded mongooses, etc).

Research is being done in conjunction with Ajubatus.

At the last Kruger Park Orientation course it was said that while originally there was real concern about BTB in the park, it now seems to be acting as a natural population control (weaker animals die, stronger ones survive and improve the gene pool) and to not be the serious problem it was feared to be.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Koen wrote:
Ecojunkie is that to say lions are developing resistance to TB?

No, just not the disaster that was feared. Bit like a predicted bad 'flu epidemic that turns out to be only the usual sort.....

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 pm 

Koen wrote:
I haven't yet seen a healthy lion in the Kruger? Is this going to be the norm?
There are many perfectly healthy Lions in Kruger Koen!

This beauty among plenty seen in May/June. Here

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 pm 

She's lovely is this a very young lioness?

It's very sad I have been reading up on this and read that more than 80% of the lions in the Kruger are infected with TB. There are isolated TB free prides in the North only apparently, hope we see some.

The external symptoms of TB are not always apparent but can appear quite randomly, stress levels or pride changes reduced immunity etc cause onset of symptoms. They also don't live as long. This hasn't affected numbers though apparently maybe cubs have a slighter higher resistance otherwise you would think they would be decreasing in numbers. Males apparently suffer the worst as they often are the first to eat at a kill and they eat the lungs and other organs, the choice bits but also the most infected with lesions.

I hope they manage to find a vaccine, it's heart breaking seeing lions in bad condition.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Koen, I have seen more perfectly healthy beautiful lion in Kruger, than sick ones, when I do my Trip report I will post pictures of some real beauties, all very healthy :dance: :dance:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:07 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)

These were all taken earlier this year, in various parts of Kruger..............they look healthy enough to me

Post subject: Re: TB in Lions in Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 am 

Sad to think as gorgeous as they are in these photos that they might have TB. :(

Where were these taken?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next