Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

They are found more commonly up north but are occasionaly seen in the Pretoriuskop area of KNP.

I havent seen them yet :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Had a lovely sighting of eland in the Cape of Good Hope section of the TMNP. We were staying at what is now Olifantsbos cottage, and a whole herd of eland ran past the cottage, along the seashore. It was the most incredible sight!

I've also seen them in Kgalagadi, way up north of Nossob.

My mom studied archaeology and anthropology, and she always used to tell me wonderful stories of the San and their mystical connection to eland. And they are compelling and kingly beasts.

I found a good article on eland and the San, which may be of interest:
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/san/hd_san.htm

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:36 pm 

We were lucky enough to see a herd of 5 eland at the Klopperfontein waterhole on our recent visit to Kruger. Unfortunately they had finished drinking and were walking away from us.

ImageLarge

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pic resizing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:08 pm 

Paunchy wrote:
We were lucky enough to see a herd of 5 eland at the klopperfontein waterhole on our recent visit to Kruger. Unfortunately they had finished drinking and were walking away from us.

Paunchy, was this Klopperfontein waterhole the one on the H1-8 just at the S61 intersection that you saw the Eland?

@ Peter B.that must have been an incredible sighting in 2001 in Kalahari. :D

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Mopani's lookout deck is goog for eland sightings
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My best eland sighting in KNP was from the deck at Mopani Camp. A small herd of about 8 eland came to slake their thirsts at the dam onto which Mopani overlooks.
It was certainly a lucky sighting as we didn’t even have to leave camp to these often rare antelopes of KNP.
I have read several reports of similar sightings, so this location provides a good opportunity to these great antelope.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:57 am 

Elsa asked:
Quote:
Paunchy, was this Klopperfontein waterhole the one on the H1-8 just at the S61 intersection that you saw the Eland?

Yes. The one on the S61. We approached from Punda Maria direction and stopped at the manmade waterhole where we saw a leopard pulling an impala kill into the bush. It was only after we went round the corner that we realised that the natural waterhole was there and with quite a bit of water in it for this time of the year.

Post subject: Eland in KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm 
I have definetily seen these beauts less over the past 5 years!

Jakkalsbessie' cow around 2000 near Orpen as a roamer from an adjoining reserve. What a shock to see it at Welverdiend waterhole on the Sweni road!

Very happy to see they are around Klopperfontein, as it is a low predator area.

Around the 80s there was APPARENTLY a herd of 100 in the area that is now the Makuleke conservancy. Wonder if they are still there?

Saw a bull on the H-10 between the Nkumbe lookout and Muntshe 4 years ago. How the hell it got there nobody will ever know!

Are they decreasing in numbers?

Richprins

[list=][/list]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 am 

I have been lucky in having had sightings on the S14 Fayi Loop over the years. I have never been able to get a decent photo!!

Post subject: Eland
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:17 pm 
Also saw a small herd at the N'wanetsi waterhole on the dirt road between Phalaborwa and Letaba. Also twice between Shingwedzi and Babalala, once two Bulls and the other a Big herd of around 30. All in the 90's.

Richprins

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Saw them on the Northern Plains 4x4 trail AND near Elandskuil, both sightings last November.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:00 am 

Seen eland twice in KNP. A single one several years ago near Orpen and, in November 2004, a herd of around 30 at the Uitspan waterhole on the S142 Shongololo Loop.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

African Storm wrote:
I have never seen one...What is the current census?

Most recent census stands at 300.
Major concentrations include the H1-8 Punda Maria-Pafuri Road, Mopani & Shingwedzi area. Other concentrations inclide the Numbi Gate & Pretoriuskop area.

Post subject: Eland
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:00 pm 
300 IS pretty low!

They used to stay pretty constant at around 900 last century.
Once again, I think wet cycle vegetation and other factors are making the census very difficult.

Richprins

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

300 is pretty low considering (I'm told) that an average fair size game farm could have as much as 30.

I have seen them all over the park from a group of about 25 at Shitlhave dam to various single encounters in the Letaba-Phalaborwa area and then I have often seen them in greater concentrations (together with Tsessebe and Zebra) on the "Serengeti of Kruger" - the Hlamalala plains east of the H1-8 (personally never west of it) and the most magnificent specimen that I had ever seen was north of the H1-9. This bull had a black dewlap with the black running up his neck, while the rest of his body was surprisingly slate grey (not the normal ochre-tan). Incredible creature.

Years ago I saw a heard of about 200 individuals at Giants Castle. What an incredible sight that was. If you really want to see them easily visit Suikerbosrand. On the overnight hike we saw a fair sized herd at close quarters and in Jan 2006 we saw a large herd of about 100+ animals on the north-eastern boundary fence but they were very far from the road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 am 

There's a herd on the Botswana side (mainly as they wander) of Kalagadi that is estimated at over 900. saw it 3 years ago at Lang rambuka Pan....horizon to horizon trotting Eland. In Kruger they are mainly up north around Klopperfontein Windmill and the powerlines. There are miniscule pockets down south where they dont really enjoy all the human pressure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next