Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: weird sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 am 

:dance: thats a strange waterbuck hah
another thing it might just be me but ive never seen any preditor hunt or kill sable or roan. ive never heard of that either any1 have interesting encounters or stories about this?????? :huh:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:23 pm 

In the early 1980's I was on a walking 'safari' in Lapalala Wilderness in Western Transvaal where there was a leopard kill of a roan calf in a tree. That's the only one that I know of.

Dave

Shingwedzi - 7-8/11/2011
Letaba - 9/11/2011
Olifants - 10/11/2011
Satara - 11/11/2011
Skukuza - 12/11/2011
Berg-en-dal - 13-14/11/2011

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Sheldogz23... :thumbs_up: Intersting question!
Only time I have heard of this is in greater KNP where if you look on youtube there is a video of about 5 lions feeding on a freshly killed Sable. Apparently rangers at the sighting saw the lions running in on something and where shocked to see they had brought a Sable down!

Interestingly on the Chobe river in Botswana I have seen many Sable and there is one adult Bull who has had a lioness on his back on 2 occassions but has managed to get them off with a swing of his horns!
8)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In books one finds reference of sable and roan being taken by lions, though not too often.

I distinctly remember one somewhere, can't remember whether it is in Wolhuter's Memories of a game ranger, of the author telling of some lions taking on a mature sable bull. He did what they do best. Laid down with his backside in a thornbush to protect that, facing the lions. With a sweep of his horns he could clear either side - and did so, killing at least one lioness, and I seem to remember that there were others injured as well.

The cows are far easier prey than a bull.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 am 

its really interestin. i brought this up to my uncle n he said he has footage of awd devouring a sable when he finds it ill post it. he has seen evry mammal exept eland in the kruger and when ur wit him u wont drive past anythin he has eyes like a hawk :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

While accompanying 2 staff members (one of whom was Albino Ringane , an excellent tracker , field worker and trails assistant) about 14 yrs ago on the S36 not far from Ngwenyeni dam we noticed vultures in a tree .
On carefull investigation , which included throwing stones into the surrounding bush , they found a freshly killed sable bull with a neat hole in its "chest" , there were no observable signs predator presence in the area .
The carcass was taken to the relevant people who determined that it had been killed by a rival Sable's horn .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:04 am 

sheldogz23 wrote:
:dance: thats a strange waterbuck hah
another thing it might just be me but ive never seen any preditor hunt or kill sable or roan. ive never heard of that either any1 have interesting encounters or stories about this?????? :huh:

I've spoken to someone reliable who saw a pack of Wild Dogs taking down an adult male Sable in Niassaland in northern Mozambique

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:17 am 

hey thanks for those replies hyopefully we can keep it coming and make this a great thread :D :mrgreen:
anyone have something interesting to share??? :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Egilio wrote:
Came across this sighting earlier in the week. It's not a SANPark, not in SA (we have no fabulous forms like these in this country) but I just thought some of you might 'like' this picture.

What about this posted in the Lion thread?

Unread postPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:29 pm 

thats awesome :big_eyes: :thumbs_up:
another question anyone have pics of melanistic or black animals(that arent naturally black ofcourse)
from the kruger????? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:14 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm new on the forum,I'm a ame Ranger/Cheetah Handler/Resrve Manager and thought I'd share some of my ideas on the questions u raised: On the king cheetah,in the 90's there wa a few,I think about 5-6,lately there has not been any confirmed sightings of kings. As for free roaming kings there is only about 2 that is known of in SA,most of them in captivity unfortunately! :( As for sable and predators: Sable is well known for being terrible parents,their young have a very high mortality rate,they have the tendency to hide them in the grass and then leave them,only coming back to feed them twice a day so for most of the day the young ones are alone,with no defence against predators. Also remember that they are rare animals,it's hard enough to see them alive,never mind with a lion on the back. If there is anyone with other idas,please let me know,it's the bst way to learn!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dont know who has read the blog but Mgoddard (340 days in kruger) has seen a white impala today!

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Last edited by Boorgatspook on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Correct spelling of member name

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am 

anyone got pics or stories of animals in picnic sites or camps????????????

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Leopard at Afsaal picnic spot , it stole food off the tables after the people had fled - was in 1995 , I think .
I wonder what happened to it eventually ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 pm 

whaaaaaat thats crazy!!
heard a rumour that a pride of lions took down a buffalo at in nkhulu picnic site and a leopard kill at tshokwane i think thats all ive heard of
any pics of these sorts of things???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next