View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Riverine Rabbit
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

South Africa's most endangered mammal!

Quote:
The riverine rabbit, looks even more desperate than has commonly been feared. The conservation status of this Karoo rabbit has, according to the latest IUCN 2002 Red Data List for Endangered Species, been raised from endangered to critically endangered.

Quote:
There is much jubilation in conservation circles as the waning riverine rabbit population has been given a boost by sightings of this mammal in the Touwsriver District. This is quite remarkable as this is several hundred kilometres away from its known distribution.

This information is from 2003, I was just wondering if anyone had more up to date information.

Riverine Rabbit

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Very interesting, can you post a pic here :?:

Have never seen one :|

Post subject: Re: Riverine Rabbit
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can see some pics

HERE

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:26 pm 

Not only the most endangered mammal in southern Africa, but also soon top 10 in the world (currently at 11th spot).

Approx. 200 individuals left. Lives in a highly fragmented habitat with lots of fences (impossible for the rabbits to get through) and farmer dogs. Reproduces very slowly, although 1 offspring per year (a figure sometime mentioned in the litterature) is exaggerating low.

Consequently, there is no hope of lowering the RR's Red List status in the comming decades. A (meta-)population experiencing such a intensive bottle neck as the case is here will not recover in the nearest future, regardless of the efforts put in. And because these fur balls a considerable smaller than elephants they can not expect too much support from us humans...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Lepus.
Your Avatar shows me you know what you are talking about.

I was under the impression that those found in the Touwsriver district would help to lift them form being critically endangered to endangered. This is why I asked for more info, the info I had was from 2003.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:12 am 

If I'm not mistaken, the Touwsriver population is being examined (genetically) in order to establish whether or not it is a "new" population or a part of the already known populations. It is apparently easy to catch a Riverine rabbit, finding it is the tricky part, which probably explains why this survey is taken some time.

The process of red listing a species (or subspecies) is quit complicated. In order to evaluate the status of a species, and if necessery red listing it, one needs to take a number of factors into consideration. The share abundance/population size is not enough. For example, the number of populations and/or subpopulations, the connectivity (=gene flow) between populations, the effective population size (usually depends to a high degree on [social] behavour among the individuals of that species), the reproduction rate, the variance in the reproduction rate, the threat by human impact, the threat by natural impact (flooding, drought etc) and so on, are all important when trying determine the extinction threat to a species (and accordingly given it its red list status).

The addition of the Touwsriver population will most likely not change anything (regardless of the result from the genetical survey) when it comes to considering the Riverine rabbit as CR. If I remember correctly the population size was estimated to 550 individuals when the rabbit went from EN to CR, and today they are probably far less...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

More news on the riverine rabbit now discovered near Robertson winelands.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for posting that, arks. Good news for this seriously endangered creature.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
50-50 inserts 1.

50-50 inserts 2.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Riverine Rabbit
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:07 am 

This interesting little creature is very rare, in fact it only occurs in the central parts of the Karoo and lives along dry river courses. We were lucky enough to see one of these rabbits, with extremely long ears, on a recent trip to the Karoo National Park. :D We saw it near the Bulkraal day visitors area in the early hours of the morning running into a burrow in a dry riverbed :dance: . Unfortunately I have no pictures as the rabbit moved very quickly to the safety of its burrow.

Has anyone else seen one of these gems of the Karoo??

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now thats what you call a rare and special sighting! considered the rarest mammal in south africa :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: UCT Zoology Dept. SA Hunters & Game Conservation Association
Saw one in mid October 2008 on a private farm just outside of Prince Albert in the middle of the day. Stayed still long and close enough to snap a photie with a point and shoot pocket digital camera.

Was a special day indeed, was doing research in the area but that took the back seat for 10 minutes while we sat and admired

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: UCT Zoology Dept. SA Hunters & Game Conservation Association
while considered the rarest mammal in SA i think that the population size is grossly underestimated as most of their habitat occurs on privately owned land - with farmers thinking that its just another rabbit on their farm and not reporting it. Im sure there is a healthy population on the land that we spotted the one above on, but until now it was undocumented and would have continued to be if zoologists hadn't happened to see them. Im also sure that there are many farms in the area where this is happening....

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:01 am 

SAHGCA-UCT wrote:
while considered the rarest mammal in SA i think that the population size is grossly underestimated as most of their habitat occurs on privately owned land - with farmers thinking that its just another rabbit on their farm and not reporting it. Im sure there is a healthy population on the land that we spotted the one above on, but until now it was undocumented and would have continued to be if zoologists hadn't happened to see them. Im also sure that there are many farms in the area where this is happening....

I know that, among others, Kai Collins is doing lot of research on the bunny, and informing farmers to report sightings. Hence, I wouldn't say that the population size is under estimated "grossly".
However, the rabbit is rather elusive, so sightings are scarce and I dont know if a DNA-census has been undertaken yet (testing the DNA is a more advanced way of the capture-recapture method).

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
We spotted a single Riverine Rabbit on Saturday around noon very briefly twice, running from shrub to shrub. In Karoo National Park