Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rare antelope sightings
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm 

In July 2010 we saw a total of 29 Eland!

We saw this herd on two consecutive days at Mooiplaas waterhole.

These two bulls on the S144, 8km north of the S143 turnoff

On the H1-9

At Boyela waterhole near Babalala

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Returning to Kruger in December 2013!!!

Post subject: Re: Rare antelope sightings
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg
Wow! Very lucky indeed! I've only seen eland once in the last 10 years... Clearly I'll have to visit the North more!

Post subject: Re: Mammal ID Needed?
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:26 pm 

Hi MichaelWildtuin.

I did answer you on that Fred by here is a quick difference between the antelopes you can confuse it with. Basically there are 4 that people confuse the antelopes with
1. Grey Rhebok
2. Mountain Reedbuck
3. Southern Reedbuck
4. Oribi.

Oribi(with your picture shows, and can be seen by the black tip on the tail)
Oribi grow to around 92–110 cm (36 to 43 inches) in length, with a shoulder height of 50–66 cm (20 to 26 inches) and weigh an average of 12–22 kg (26 to 49 lb). They can run at speeds of up to 40–50 km/h (25–31 mph). In captivity they have a lifespan of up to 14 years.
The back and upper chest is yellow to orange-brown. The chin, throat, chest, belly and rump are white. The tail is short and bushy, the upper side black or dark brown,

Grey ReebokDESCRIPTION:
The thick coat is soft and wooly. The upperparts are greyish brown. The underparts, ring around eyes and white patches on chin & muzzle. A dark, narrow stripe runs down the front of the legs. The tail has a white tip. Grey Rhebok are fast runners, reaching speeds of up to 60km/h.
Horns:Only rams carry horns. they are straight, long, thin & pointed. The horns are partially ridged at the base, with smooth tips. Length: 15-29cm.

Mountain ReedbuckAppearance
A medium-sized, graceful and shy antelope. Rams attain a mass of about 32 Kg and measures 750mm at shoulder. Ewes are smaller at 30 Kg. Fur is predominantly grey, but the head and shoulders are a reddish-brown. It has a fluffy white tail and striking white underparts. Forward curved horns are only found on rams. This species has long narrow ears.

Southern(common) ReedbuckThe Southern Reedbuck, or Common Reedbuck (Redunca arundinum) is an antelope, found in Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and northern South Africa.
Southern Reedbucks average 85 cm at the shoulder, and weigh around 70 kg. They have grey-brown coats with a white underbelly and black forelegs. Males have ridged horns of around 35 cm, which grow backwards and then curve forwards.Southern Reedbucks live in valley and upland areas, where they eat grasses and reeds. Old Southern Reedbuck males are territorial, living with a single female, which they follow at all times to prevent it having contact with rival males. Females and young males are usually solitary, except in the dry season, when they sometimes form herds of up to twenty individuals out of necessity. They are diurnal, but inactive during the heat of the day.

That was just n Quick description of them all. You can search each by name on Google and just ad image and you will find lot of photos of each. Hope this help you to confirm its Oribi :thumbs_up:

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Post subject: Location of Rarer Sightings (Antelope)
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:24 am 

Hi all

There have been numerous posts about people wanting to see Roan and Sable and Eland etc. Most people know that the area around Mopani and to a lesser extent the Pretorioskop region are the hotspots but there must be other such places. Let's state what animal and where sighted so people can have an idea as to where they need to look for these hard to find animals!! For the purposes of this post, we will use the following animals:
Roan
Sable
Eland
Tsessebe
Reedbuck
Hartebeest
??? (anything else people are interested in)

Post subject: Re: Location of Rarer Sightings (Antelope)
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Take the road to Giriyondo for reedbuck.
M'wamba pan is good for Tsessebe, and the S145 for Sable.
Red Hartebeest are not found in Kruger.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Roan antelope almost guaranteed at Babalala.

Sable at Jones dam and also at the hill just south of the Kruger Tablets on H1-2, also at Grysbok waterhole on the H1-6 north of Mopani.

Tsessebe on the Fayi loop at Pretoriuskop and the Mooiplaas waterhole east of Mopani on the S50 and the Thihongonyeni waterhole on the Tropic of Capricorn Loop (S143).
Lichtensteins Hartebeest only if you are very lucky maybe on the Fayi loop and the plains along the Northern Plains 4X4 loop.

If you are Afrikaans speaking you will find Hartebeest in the KRUGER NATIONAL PARK - Basterhartebees = Tsessebe and of course the Lichtensteins which were reintroduced from Malawi.

The Red Hartebeest are only found in the more westerly areas of the Transvaal and the Northern Cape areas.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:54 am 

Hi question for gmlsmit.

The Lichtensteins that were re-introduced, were they a species that occurred in the area naturally and did they die of disease i.e. anthrax to which I know both roan and sable are prone, or were they shot out??

Have seen all of the above
northern areas often around Boyela/Babalala/ S106 leading to Tropic of Capricorn, but you have to be patient .

Mounbtain reedbuck seen on the Ship moutain road many years ago, never have seen again but I don't usually stay in the south of the park.

Enjoy

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm 

Decent sized herd of Sable 500m from the big Kruger rock tablet (dont exactly know what its called) between Skukuza and Tshokwane in December.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

flying cheetah wrote:
Lowveldboy wrote:
I did see suni in Punda during October :whistle:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: do you have a pic??

:lol: Yip not very good, but a pic. Happened at night, and my camera gear is not for night time photography. We were about 10 people and a guide and it was confirmed by Guides and a ranger. Now to try and find the link to my trip report

HERE IT IS, about half way down.

Grantmissy - There is plenty of Grysbok around Punda. In 2 days I saw more Grysbok than impala, absolutely amazing

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bundi thanks, I am pleased to read that the herd is still roaming the area where we spotted them in Sept 2009, as mentioned in my previous post near the Kruger Tablets.

concerning the Lichtenstein's, Dr Tol Pienaar compiled a memorandum indicating sufficient evidence that the species in the recent history roamed the far northern part of the KNP. What caused their disappearance cannot be established, maybe anthrax or other disease, maybe habitat destruction or hunting.

The Board agreed in 1984 to reintroduce animals from the Kasungu National Park in Malawi.

26 were captured; unfortunately 17 died of stress and 9 were released in the N'wasitshumbe enclosure, 17 km north of Vlakteplaas, on 19 July 1985.

a further 3 died and eventually 2♂ and 4♀ adapted successfully in their new environment.

The National parks Board agreed to purchase 10 animals from a Dr Kriek who had privately imported animals from Malawi. Dr Kriek then donated a further 5 Lichtenstein's to the Park.

The 15 were released in the N'wasitshumbe enclosure and the Nhlangwini enclosure near Pretoriuskop.

I have never seen an Oribi in the Kruger National Park, only in the Eastern Shores area of the Isimangaliso Wetland Park. However should you see a Steenbok with a black tail - regard yourself extremely fortunate as you have just sighted an Oribi.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you Lowveldboy :thumbs_up: What a special sighting, not many have seen a Suni in Kruger :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Seen Sable near Pretoriuskop on two occassions, near Talamati on two occassions and opposite Kruger tablets once

Had a magnificent sighting of about 30 Roan at Babalala

Tssesebe have seen in the Pretoriuskop surrounds several times, also on the S50 between Mopani and Shingwedzi, and at Boyela

Reedbuck have seen a few times on the main stretch between Satara and Olifants, on the S29 near Lower Sabie and once on the Doispane rd

Eland a very special sighting on the Pafuri private concession

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:51 am 

Southern Mountain Reedbuck can be regularly seen in the long grass around Shawu No 3 windmill on S50. Ptretorius Kop is a good area as well.

Suni were quite plentiful around Punda Maria but in the last 10 years I have only seen a couple on the Nyalaland Trail and at a couple of spots near Crooks Corner

Tssessebe is most common around Mopani Camp especially at Mooiplaas Windmill. There is a herd East of Tshokwane ans apparently around P Kop as well

Sable like the Granite Soils on the Western side of Kruger especially around P Kop Hlangulene Picnic Spot, Talamati, Muzandzeni Picnic Spot, Shimuwini and Babalala

Roan near Nwambu Pan S144, Mooiplaas Windmill, Northern Plains 4x4 route and Klopperfontein Dam

Eland around the Powerlines N of Punda Maria and the Tihongenyeni Windmill on the S143 are probably bestfor this nomadic species

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This is a very interesting thread. Even though not antelope shortcourse I also find hedgehog, thick-tailed bush baby and hare sightings rare. We saw thick-tailed bush baby at our safari tent at Punda Maria last year during May but it was the first sighting. We saw either the Cape or Scrub Hare at Talamati and once at Sirheni, but I am not sure which one of the two Hare’s it was. We never saw a rabbit although it is said that one specie does occur in Kruger but I am also not sure which one. Maybe some will be spotted over the Easter week-end by lucky forum members and we will see and hear about them next week!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It seems like renosterpan can be quite a lucky spot for rarer antelopes

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next