Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Large Animal Snake Bite Deaths
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:23 pm 

Question: I was just reading about some of the leopards in Sabi Sands....and it mentioned that one of the young leopards may have died of snakebite.
Any one know any research or statistics of how many large animals die of snakebite ?
Thank you, Aidan.

Post subject: Re: Large Animal Snake Bite Deaths
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have no idea, sorry :shock:

But i think that not many adult animals would be bitten as they would most probably have been taught to fear snakes from a young age. i think the large animals that do get bitten and die are the juveniles as they are as of yet unaware of the danger and especially in the case of a big cat just playing, curiosity? :?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have seen a dead Impala close to the breached Rabelais dam sight that the field guide said most probably died as a result of a puff adder bite . (necrosis visible on lower front leg .)

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I watched a program on NatGeo the other day called Cheetah blood brothers.One of the cheetahs was killed by a mozambique spitting cobra. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Amedeus, I saw that as well.
Also saw on NatGeo a lioness getting spit in the eyes by a cobra. She survived but went through bad suffering.
Interesting topic!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
And would the poison be passed onto a predator that ate the carcass of an animal killed by a snake bite?

No. Snake venom is a form of protein. Should it be ingested, it will be neutralised by the stomach acid. It will turn in to food!

Should the eater have a sore in the mouth or throat, and the venom gain entry in to the body in that way, he may still be envenomed.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:08 pm 
Wecome, Aidan!

I forget whether I read this in Wolhuter's book "Memories of a Game Ranger", or Gus Adendorff's memoirs...(Both are very good.)

There was a report of a dead giraffe near Pretoriuskop, and the relevant ranger went to investigate.

The giraffe had not been killed by predators, but there was a discolouration just beneath the head, an indication that the animal had been bitten by a black mamba while browsing, according to the ranger! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wow, amazing story RP :shock:
Shows how potent mamba venom is!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 am 

Good topic this!

I bought a DVD called Ultimate Enemies when I last visited Kruger and a snake actually bit a mom lion and her three cubs. The cubs died instantly but mom lived. She was blind for days and couldn't walk for 2 or three of them. It was horrible! But to think that she survived was amazing!

She went back to where the "attack" happened when she was all right again to see her pups but only found their bodies. It was sad, but nature has it's ways....

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Saw a few years ago on Nat Geo a honey badger in Kgalagadi that was bitten, I think by a puffy, and it went into a 'coma' for a few hours, came out and recovered!

In the documentary a badger was also bitten by a Cape Cobra whose venom is more lethal than a black mambas , it just slept it off and carried on and eat the cobra !
That is the best nature video I have ever seen , no attributing human characteristics to animals & vice versa (someone please remind me what this is commonly known as) ..

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
........ no attributing human characteristics to animals & vice versa (someone please remind me what this is commonly known as) ..

anthropomorphism

:whistle:

Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks , BIgMan !

What really is wonderfull about this is that the cytotoxic venom of the puffadder which causes gangrene is neutralised in the badger...

Last edited by ndloti on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

christo wrote:
Does anybody know how the honey badger does this?

The more I learn about honey badgers the more I respect them. From what I could understand from the program, its almost as if the snake venom reacts like alcohol 8) with the honey badger's system and he simply sleeps it off untill he wakes up and goes off again... no babalas - nothing :big_eyes: Amazing

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:12 pm 

Grantmissy wrote:
Very interesting reading material. I am wondering whether mammals have an instinctive awareness that snakes may be a threat to them, even though some are not poisonous. Does any one know whether the honey badger is the only mammal which is immune to snake poison? Birds of prey has to be as it is a food source for some of them.

I'm not sure about that last assumption - large owls eat snakes but I'm pretty sure they are not immune against their venom - they simply avoid being bitten at sensitive body parts

other animals that seem to be immune are the hedgehog, the mongooses and the secretary bird, at least according to some of the internet sources I've studied in the past

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist, the excellent National Geographic documentary is called "Snake Killers". It shows that at least some honey badgers are immune to puff-adder venom. The badger is bitten on the face and takes about 2 hours to recover. You can also see from the documentary that the first part of the snake they eat is its head.

According to what I've heard, no-one is sure if honey badgers are naturally immune to snake venom or if they have to acquire their immunity.

The difference between poison and venom is that you have to ingest (i.e. eat or breathe) poison, whereas venom (as pointed out by Imberbe earlier in this thread) has to get into your bloodstream to take effect. There are very few snakes that are poisonous (I checked this on the web and there are a couple that will give you a bellyache if you eat them) whereas lots of them are venomous!

I agree with Bennievis that honey badgers are amazing, the more I find out about them, the more I want to know but unfortunately there hasn't been much research done on them. They seem to be almost indestructable, in "Snake Killers", a leopard took 40 minutes to kill an elderly female HB!