Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coalition of Male Lions!
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I discovered this topic on Friday and was abolutely fascinated! :big_eyes:

Then while paging through yesterdays Beeld, I saw an article about lions that was shot near Hazyview. Apparently these lions escaped from the Sabi Sand reserve on Friday night and killed one of the local's cattle at Dumphries C - village near Nkuhlu. There were 7 lions - two fully grown females and 5 males between 18 months and 2 years old.
Mpumalanga Parks Board was called in and after trying fruitlessly to chase the lions back to the reserve they had to be shot. Mr Jan Muller of the MPB said it was necessary because people's lives were in danger.
What is very interesting though is that the article also states that these unfortunate lions fled the reserve after being attacked by "a pride of dominant males". The fence on the Sandriver was apparently damaged by floodwater and that is where they got out.
Does anybody have further information about this - was the Mapogo's responsible perhaps?
Very sad that 7 lions had to be killed - no matter what the circumstances! :(

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 am 

Hi Naomi c,
Thanks for the update,a sad story indeed,but I would love to know more of the dynamics between these lions.
If these males were chasing the pride that was shot then no ways in hell were they going to go back in the same direction they had come from. Is the coalition looking to start its own pride or just out to get the competition? Maybe someone out there has a few answers?
Bornfree.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
A little video about a coalition of male Lions.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks nico, lovely interaction between the male lions :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow Nico! Amazing footage. :clap: :clap: I love the way they just flop down! Thanks for sharing.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks nico!! :clap: :clap: great video :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Great Video Nico :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great topic!!
The chat about The Mapogos and their range/territory sparked a memory.....I don't think its them, probably a bit too far North along the S36, but in August 2008 we came across lions at Shimangwaneni Dam just south of the Muzandzeni picnic site. There were 3 males with the pride, impressive specimens....

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Very True Great specimens :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice pics and nice video Nico may I ask where did you see them and when?

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
big5spotter wrote:
Nice pics and nice video Nico may I ask where did you see them and when?
Hi big5spotter, The first three lions was near Mopani in 2004 and the three Lions with the Giraffe kill was between Croc. Bridge and Lower Sabie in 2006.

Last edited by Nico on Sat May 02, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Nico.
The reason I asked is we saw 3males on the H7 taking down a buffalo and there were only 1 female present.

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 pm 

Ages:
1 adult male 1998
5 adult males 2001

It is very, very rare to have a coalition of six males survive to maturity. These males were raised in the Sparta pride under the protection of a coalition of 5 males, which certainly helped contribute to their survival. After the passing of their fathers they kept a low profile, avoiding the unwanted attention of the Marthly males and the Shaws males. Late in 2005 the 6 males (5 sub-adults and the adult) broke away from the Sparta Pride, leaving behind 6 females. I was there the evening they first roared at Weaver’s Nest Pan…They wanted their own land, their own females, and the time had finally come. They marched West and we hardly saw them again for another year and a half.

Sometimes on cool winter evenings if the wind was blowing right we could hear their roars from the distance. They were growing in stature, fame and notoriety. Killing buffalo, adult giraffes, even young rhinos and hippos. And lions. And they were not just killing the lions….they were eating them.

Since they begun their land claim at least 5 prides in the region have been devastated, including the Castleton pride (down from 22 to 6), the Tsalala pride (down from 10 to 5), and the Ximuvanyane pride (down from 10 to 0).

However, they may represent a future of stabillty and growth amongst the lions of the area. If they stay together a coalition of this strength with a vast territory well protected against other males may create an ideal breeding opportunity for lionesses

Also, this tells what happened when the Mapogos killed another Male Lion,

http://www.rangerdiaries.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=32

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Peter Betts wrote:
Penny interesting that you mention that the Mapogas lions were known as The Spartans before. The reason for that is that most were born out of the "Dudley" Pride on a farm of the same name owned by the Wilkens family and later after these were thrown out at puberty they joined with others and took up residence on a relations neighbouring farm "Sparta" now known as Londolozi where they joined with others to form the gang. Interesting that you say they have been seen near Muzanzene in Kruger...makes sense as it is not far by foot in lion terms. Luckily they have left the SE corner of Sabi Sands alone where the farm "Charleston" is and places like Kirkman's Camp. The famous area pride there the Charleston Pride has been left alone...probably because of "Big Black" the pride male..Hy skrik vir Niks that lion and also goes into Kruger to bully the males around Skukuza once in awhile I am told!

I wonder what would happen if the Mapogas were to meet the Coalition that Gunner and Johan and others mention East of Satara...my understanding those guys would be cleaned up by the Mapogas as all S100 type lions are moffies :lol:

This Forum is so much poorer after Peter Betts left.

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have recently heard that a seventh male lion has joined the Mapogo coalition. Although we have seldom seen the 6th male and we frequently see the coalition splintered it will be interesting indeed if this coalition is continuing to grow. It would also appear that the coalition seen in the Sweni area might very well be a different coalition of males. Hopefully more information will emerge as people become more interested in these large coalitions of males that are wielding such power!

I agree lirritma this forum is indeed the poorer without Peter Betts!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next