Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:02 pm 

LOL :D

I wasn't refering to parks... caracal also survive in Saharan mountain ranges,Rocky and hilly deserts ( according to Nowell & Jackson, 1996;Estes, 1991; Skinner & Smithers 1990; Osborn & Helmty 1980 and Kingdon 1997.

They have a preference for Acacia and commiphora woodlands, thickets and Karoo regions of Africa.

This cat is also able to from a sitting position launch up to 4-5 meters into the air thus plucking it's prey from the air, not only do they survive on smaller prey but they are also known to bring down Duiker and Reedbuck.

Because of it's ability to adapt to all terrains it has now been seclared and endangered spiecies dur to Farmers killing large numbers that prowl on their farms, Highly elusive and due to the fact they are nocturnal not many cats are caught or shot in daylight hours.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:23 am 

Morning Timbo

It seems thoughwe are both passionate about our respetced predators , whowever it seems the Black Back Jackal is the most adaptable of all the predators, according to D. T. Rowe-Rowe, KwaZulu Natal Nature Conservation Service.

See web link www.kznwildlife.com/mngt_blackbj.htm

I hope we get a few more people that are pasonate about their choice of predators, and if not I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to voice my oppinion.

Regards Stomstom

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agree with stomstom, Caracal.

The caracal lives in a variety of terrains and can survive in many places. It lives in many national parks that are completely different like Kgalagadi, Kruger, Addo, Wilderness, Table Mountain Nat Park and so many more., in other words, it can survive in many different habitats and places. It can go without water because of its prey and is an adept hunter, taking down small birds to a recorded case of a caracal taking down a young kudu.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:50 pm 

Exactly...

But now here is a question....... :twisted:

A killer whale preys on seals right? OK so now how have they adapted to the sea around them to ensure they survive...

If one breaks down the whole mammal predatory pyramid I think we will all discover that they all are the best at adapting according to their habitats, I am also including us as the human species because perhaps we are the best and most adaptable of all mammal predators to walk this land....

Post subject: Animal brains
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:30 am 

could anyone please tell me how heavy the following animals brains are:-

1 , a lion

2 , an otter

3 , a dogs

4 , a babies ( if possible)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:09 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Sure! Easy question! I have included a few more, could not find the otter quickly enough though...

In grams:
Sperm whale 7800
Elephant 6000
Bottle-nosed dolphin 1500
Human adult 1300-1400
Camel 680
Horse 532
Chimpanzee 420
Human baby 350 - 400
Lion 200
Baboon 140
Dog (beagle) 72
Cat 30
Squirrel 22
Rabbit 12
Alligator 8.4
Owl 2.2
Rat 2
Turtle 0.3
Frog 0.1
Viper 0.1
Green lizard 0.08

Have a look at this website, that may tell you more.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow, 6kg brain for the elephant, no wonder they remember for so long :roll:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
Just a genetic quirk ZZ, and apparently it doesn't affect the animal.

It could well be a genetic abberation, there's a name for it which I can't remember right now. I suspect it is not the case with this specific individual though.

When antelope have this genetic deformity the horn typically just droops at a funny angle. This horn seems to be the shape of a normal healthy horn, just pointing in the wrong direction. I would think that it is partially broken off, due to a bout of dominance with another male perhaps?

And it certainly does affect the animal. It might not affect his grazing or anything (because Impala don't use their horns to graze:wink:) but if you think about it, why do they have horns in the first place?

1. They use their horns for defense. This is not particularly significant in the case of Impala because they hardly ever use their horns in defense. A Gemsbok with a broken horn would suffer more significantly from a broken horn than an Impala as regards the usage as defensive weapon. It may single him out in a herd as being weaker than the others though, making him a target for predators.

2. They use their horns to assert their dominance in the herd. This individual stands no chance of becoming the alpha male and will always have a fairly low status in the herd. Consequently he will have a lesser chance to reproduce and carry his genes into the next generation of Impala.

On the short term, this might not seem like much because if an Impala has grass to eat, it's happy right? Well, not quite. Impala eat grass so that they can reproduce. The same holds true for all organisms. Their primary goal is to survive and reproduce. This poor chap may survive but will have diminished chances of reproduction.

And he will get very litte "jiggy-jiggy" in his life, shame...

Post subject: The animal with the BIGGEST HEART
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:50 am 

Which animal has the biggest heart to you ? When I say 'biggest heart", I am talking about an animal that will
ie. protect their young at any cost or their territory.

The reason I bring this subject up is because I was chatting with some people yesterday and the "U TUBE" video was mentioned. They were taken back by the way the buffalo reacted as to save the calf.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Any female animal will fight with ferocity to protect her young. But my prize will go to Lioness, Leopard and elephant cow in that order. Better don't mess with those mums.

Honeybadger has the biggest heart at any other time outside the parent protection thing.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:03 am 

I say the warthog, an animal that is so inferior to predators such as lion, cheetah and leopard but yet they will charge at these wild meat eating beasts to save their young.
I have witnessed a warthog that was a 1/4 of the size of the lion and walked away victorious, I admit that the warthog was lucky on this occasion but what heart it has to save it's young.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I agree with Oom Wtm.

Kilo for kilo the honey badger is the most agressive & ferocious animal around. I have seen a few videos where a HB fights of lions, and a leopard.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would say honey badger, too. They are the most courageous fighters and they fear no one else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next