Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tiger/Lion
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:11 am 

Jannie wrote:
Few people have mentioned that the Tiger will beat a lion in a one on one fight (Maybe due to the tigers size), but in actual fact the lion would win the battle.
Discovery channel had a piece on where they have tackled the problem to see what will happen by taking all the info and reenact the fight.
The programs name was "Battle of the Beasts", they have mentioned that the answer does not lie in the skill or strength because jaw for jaw and tooth for tooth the two animals weigh in the same. Biomechanical claws have been made to test their theories for both cats have a striking power of 6m per second.

The two cats are very closely matched in all departments and even both of them are short of stamina.

The reason for the lion then winning the contests is that the lion is a much more skilled fighter than the Tiger.

Hope this answer the question.

I totally agree with Jannie.. The lion will win against all comers but having said that here's something to think about....What if a leopard was the same size as a lion? Lion would probably still win but it would be close with the tiger a distant 3rd...so its not all about power to weight ratios but rather genetics

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Something everyone has failed to mention is the fact that tigers are solitary animals and lion social. This means that -should a lion and a tiger meet in a natural situation (?) - the lion would be part of a pride. In other words, it would be basically the same situation as a leopard meeting a lion.

Lion have evolved the pride system (unique among cats) to enable them to hunt bigger prey, and it has the benefit of added protection.

The pride system will enable the lion to dominate the tiger, since the tiger would invariably be outnumberd.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Do Giraffes Make A Vocal Noise ?
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:03 pm 

Hi everyone ,

Was just wondering if Giraffe make any vocal noise ? I certainly have never heard one call. If they do, what does it sound like ?

Many thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello and welcome to the Forums, Niceone :)

The general belief that giraffes are mute is a myth... they are not. Their voices may not be too impressive, but they do make sounds.

We had a nice discussion about this on the forums about a year ago but unfortunately the thread is no longer there.
I did however save part of my posts which I am quoting below:

Harrison, D.F. (1980). Biomechanics of the giraffe larynx and trachea, pp 258-264:
Despite possession of a well developed larynx and a gregarious nature, the Giraffe is able to utter only low moans or bleats. Morphological and histological examination, together with measurements of trachea and subglottic area, on three fresh larynges (Giraffa camelopardalis) has made it possible to explain the lack of vocal power. Factors such as thoracic expiratory flow rate, length of trachea and recurrent laryngeal nerves, together with morphological details of vocal folds, and intrinsic laryngeal muscles have all been considered, providing a unique example of the relationship between morphology and function in the mammalial larynx.

Jolly, L. (2003). Giraffe Husbandry Manual, p 11: (link no longer available)*)
Giraffe are silent, but not mute. Despite possessing a well developed larynx, the giraffe is only able to utter low moans and grunts. Morphological examination of the larynx and trachea indicate factors such as the thoracic expiratory flow rate and the length of trachea and laryngeal nerves are the reason for the lack of vocal power in the giraffe (Harrison 1980). The larynx is smaller than that of a horse, vocal folds and laryngeal ventricles are absent.

National Wildlife Magazine, Dec/Jan 2004, vol. 42 no. 1:
Liz von Muggenthaler, a bioacoustical researcher, has graphic proof that giraffes may actually "talk" to each other. "We believe that giraffes are forcing large columns of air out their long, long trachea and out a small opening, which is actually their larynx," she told me. It’s not a sound we humans can hear unaided, since it’s at a range beneath our own hearing called infrasound. But von Muggenthaler says that as the air passes through the larynx, it might sound "like a great burst of air: PSSH."

*) Did anyone by chance save the Giraffe Husbandry Manual (PDF-file) to their HD at the time? Mikev, Craig, Imberbe? I'm afraid I didn't... :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
i would think a Giraffe makes a sound like a Camel
are these 2 animals not related? :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
are these 2 animals not related?

Not at all, the Giraffe belongs to the family Giraffidae and are in fact distant relatives of cattle where the camel belongs to the family Camelidae.

Post subject: antelope scent glands
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:06 am 

G'day all,
I was watching a doco called wild africa yesterday, and in one segment was a group of what I think was springbok. The strange this was what they were doing.
They appeared to have a large dark gland just in front of their eyes, which they were rubbing on the end of grass storks. I'd never seen or heard of that, does anyone know if they do in fact have scent glands there, and is it to mark territories etc? It was really fascinating to watch as they seemed to push the grass stalks rite into the glands (which were quite large).
I know impala have scent glands on the backs of their legs, which they spray in the air for other impala to follow when being persued, but hadnt seen this behaviour.
I'm pretty sure they were sprinbok, but I could be wrong :?
Would love to hear any opinions on this
Thanks, sharky74

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I know impala have scent glands on the backs of their legs, which they spray in the air for other impala to follow when being persued, but hadnt seen this behaviour.

This is only a theory with no substansial prove.... The gland on an Impi's rear legs are called fetlock glands.

Most antelope has the preorbital glands in front of the eyes. I'll have to check up on springbok pre- orbital gland marking though but I am almost sure the do :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is no rule here , it all depends on circumstances such as species numbers , terrain , predator types at the carcass , the type of animal killed , age of carcass etc etc etc .
It all boils down to first come first served , and an animal making sure another predator or scavenger does not injure or kill it during the squabble .

Cheetah will normally eat very fast , because they are not good at keeping there kill from hyena or any other large predator , as said they even get botthered by vultures , although there kills are normally quick and it takes while for a large group of vultures to collect and chase a chetah off .
Chettah only eat there own kill while it is fresh, they do not eat carrion .

If the hyena/lion/leopard find a carcass first , then they will eat it .
If the vultures , then they eat it .

If its a tough animal like a rhino or buffalo , then possibly lappet faced vultures or one of the bigger predators will need to "open" up the carcass first , and then its all fair game .

I have seen jackalls fighting the small vutures from a kill .
Hyena seem to go in and get what they want without bothering about the vultures at all , they certainly do not wait for them , if anything the vultures are not keen on getting to close to the hyena .
Lions hate anything getting near to there kill , but for some reason are not to bothered by the odd jackal taking a scrap (When they arent feeding.)

Post subject: Rare animals
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:21 pm 

Hello everyone. I am curious to know if anyone has seen the following animals in the last 2 years in Kruger. More importantly, could you please list (if possible where and when you saw a specific animal).
Sable
Red Hartebeest
Suni Antelope
Eland
Wild dogs
Lion (they seem to disappear in Kruger)
Brown Hyaena
Aardwolf
Anteater
and in birds (Black Eagle, and Ostritch)
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:25 pm 

There are quite a few lists of rare animal sightings in the animal forum, naomirsa. Here's one: Have you spotted the Elusive Eleven?. Have a look at the index for the other animals. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Naoimi and Welcome!

There is lots of information on (I think all of) the animals you list in topics in the animals forum and in the birds forum, including both pix and dates of recent sightings. You'll also often find information in trip reports. You can use the forum's search tool to find threads for the animals and birds you're interested in. HTH

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: Animals of Kruger and Habitat
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:22 pm 

The following questions are for someone in the know. If someone knows someone in the know, please refer me their name and/or email.
1. Are there any animals it the Kruger National Park that have been rescued from some kind of habitat destruction? If so, what species and what destruction was it?

2. Does Kruger National Park aide in the fight against habitat destruction? If so, specifically, what do they do?

3. Is habitat destruction a major threat to the species near Kruger National Park? If so, what species and what are they endangered of, relating to habitat destruction?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next