Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Aat

Re: Big Tuskers

Unread postby Aat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Mant,
It's Mavumbye you have seen. (nickname = Floppy) :thumbs_up:

Mant wrote:Hi,

I'm just enquiring if anyone knows who this is, we saw him near Satara in 2010? I'm not sure if he is a tusker.

Samantha
Last edited by Aat on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mant

Unread postby Mant » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 am

Great, another Tusker I can add to my list. Would you like me to send you the pictures of him to add to your website.

Thanks Aat :thumbs_up:

Mant

Unread postby Mant » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 am

Does anyone know who this is, I don't know if he is a Tusker or not?

Samantha

100ponder
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby 100ponder » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Samantha,

The elephant above don't look like "tusker" material at his current age, the only visible tusk seem too short and although it looks like the tusk is curved forward, the photo don't give much of an indication by how much it is curving.

A tip I can give here to judge if an elephant could be a tusker is to look carefully to see if the visible section of tusk, when straightened, will exceed the distance between eye and lowest point of lip-line on the tusk.

If the visible tusk length exceeds that distance then you could start thinking that you are looking at a "emerging" tusker, especially if the tusks are looking thick and when the tusks have blunt tips.

If the visible tusk length exceeds the distance between lip-line and ear hole you can start jumping up and down because then you are looking at potentially a REAL tusker !

Another thing, please always give approx. location of where you saw the elephant.

Gerrie.

Tjanssen

Unread postby Tjanssen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 pm

I was just reading your post how you did the ID of Nhlowa
I am impressed and understand how much effort and time it takes to do all this for us
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your tuskersite is really wonderful, I hope you will continue for a long long time :pray: :pray:

vinkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Unread postby vinkie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 pm

We saw this Tusker just before Tshokwane Picnic spot coming from the Satara direction.
I have more photos if it helps to id him.

We saw this Tusker near Dukes Waterhole(I have more photos if it helps to id him.)

Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

100ponder
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby 100ponder » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 am

Hi Vinkie,

Two very nice bull's photos you posted ! :)

I cannot link your photos to any on Aats "Tuskers of Africa" web site.

Both are still youngish with relatively thin tusks but, look how the tusks are thickening up to the
the lip line - once they reach maturity at some-where after age 35 years - their tusks will be
thick and the diameter will stabilize at approx 6.5 inches [ 160mm ].

Both these bulls show potential to grow long tusks provided they don's fall in the habit of
abusing their tusks - if so, they will end up with blunt shortish tusks like so many of the KNP
bull elephants.
[ I believe this is one of the reasons why KNP bulls average shorter tusks than Tembe elephant.]

The elephant you found in the Tsokwane area looks particularly promising !

Gerrie.

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 pm

The elephant bull who chased the lions away - We met him on the S90 shortly after the Mapetane crossing on 18.02.13 around 6.35

Maybe he is known already - Maybe Aat can help here :k

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby RosemaryH » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Stunning pic's Pumbaa :thumbs_up:
What a gorgeous giant :)
Will be interesting to hear about this one :popcorn:
Rose
Please read the green gate permit you will receive on entry to the park and stick to the rules.
Remember By Feeding Any Wildlife You Are Signing Their Death Warrant, As They Become Aggressive.

Aat

Unread postby Aat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Pumbaa,
I do have a few pics of him made in 2011. It's not a named one but I keep the pics in my database. There is quit a number of bulls with tusks like this one in Mopani and Shingwedzi area.

Pumbaa wrote:The elephant bull who chased the lions away - We met him on the S90 shortly after the Mapetane crossing on 18.02.13 around 6.35

Maybe he is known already - Maybe Aat can help here :k

Aat

Unread postby Aat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Just a nice story about a tusker. In 2006 I met a bull in the S28 area not far from Crocodile Bridge and sixth sense told me this one might be an interesting one for near future. I named him NHLOWA.
Just received new pics of him and it's great to see the devellopment of him. Tusks are growing and what can happen every day happened to Nhlowa. One of his smaller notches in the left ear became a large notch. It was a bit confusing looking at a tusker you think you know but a little no between my ears (because of the large notch) to say that's Nhlowa. More details made it clear it is him. So, I just made an update of his pages. Covering 7 years of his life now made it special too and it tells me that it's worth all the effort to keep the tuskers in the spotlight.

Only possible with your help so thanks again to all submitting and posting pictures. :thumbs_up:

Interested in Nhlowa's pages ?
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/tuskersnp/nhlowa.htm

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Lovely series of photos Pumbaa :clap: thank you for sharing.
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

Ferdelance
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Ferdelance » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:02 pm

A recent trip to Kruger in September netted me some tuskers & some possible promising ones too.... :D
All seen around the 20-23 September 2013.
Struggling to I.D some of them but at least I got 1 I.D sofar. That of Hlahleni.

Tusker 1 was seen late in the evening from the letaba restaurant. He was crossing towards the east. A big tusker. Unfortunately we couldn't connect with him again in our time there. Poor quality pic... just to prove that I am not exaggerating! :whistle:

This guy was seen outside of Letaba camp, going North. Is Hlahleni in my opinion.

This tusker was seen just south of Mopani and is an unkown to me?

This tusker I cannot find either, although should be easy to I.D with these marks.... Also seen South of Mopani, near mooi plaas.

Any opinions out there? Aat what say thee? :-)
Stiffneck on the loose.....
Latest Lifer:= Lesser Crested Tern; Rufous Winged Cisticola.

Aat

Unread postby Aat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Ferdelance,
Congrats, you found Masthulele (first picture) :clap: , second one and no doubt is Hlahleni. Third one is no tusker to my opinion and last one is not a named one but I think I have some more pics of him. I am not at home so can't check.

Ferdelance wrote:A recent trip to Kruger in September netted me some tuskers & some possible promising ones too.... :D
All seen around the 20-23 September 2013.
Struggling to I.D some of them but at least I got 1 I.D sofar. That of Hlahleni.

Tusker 1 was seen late in the evening from the letaba restaurant. He was crossing towards the east. A big tusker. Unfortunately we couldn't connect with him again in our time there. Poor quality pic... just to prove that I am not exaggerating! :whistle:

This guy was seen outside of Letaba camp, going North. Is Hlahleni in my opinion.

This tusker was seen just south of Mopani and is an unkown to me?

This tusker I cannot find either, although should be easy to I.D with these marks.... Also seen South of Mopani, near mooi plaas.

Any opinions out there? Aat what say thee? :-)

Mant

Unread postby Mant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know who this is? We saw him on the road to Mlondozi Picnic Spot.

I thought he might be Zambhala.

Samantha

Return to “Mammals”