Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 191 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:31 pm 

@ 100ponder - thanks for sending the pics

@ ALL - Last few weeks I received a lot of tusker ID pictures

Status: Could ID and added pictures for: Kaleka, Mune (ste) , Isilo (tembe), Zambhala (new and older 2006) and Marhumbini

I added many pictures to my database to sort out and trying to ID them (not easy job to do) and time consuming so with a full job (minimum 40 hours a week) this will take some time.
I will answer all and keep them updated about their entries.

Good thing is that there are more emerging tuskers then I first thought. With ID'ing I sometimes think I recognize him but looking at the details it's not the one I thought.

Looking at all the pictures I have I can easily add at least 10 new tuskers to the site. Question I have to myself about this is: Does it really help to have a large number at the tusker site or should I be very selective and just add the ones with really big tusks or really potential ones and what is the criteria I should use.... Well, I don't have a real answer myself about this...
Also taking into account all costs for the tusker site is for me :shock: and with adding many new ones I need more server space
I have to think and think and think about it.... let's see whath the outcome is after lots of thinking.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Aat,

This is wonderfull news - so many tyskers in the making in our Kruger Park !

Your posting also got me thinking as well and I have the following suggestion
to make :-
[ This is purely to stimulate further thinking.]

The TUSKERS OF TODAY section being divided into two sub-sections :-

a. TUSKERS :- Only elephants who have at least one tusk with a length
exceeding half ( 0.5 ) of the elephant's shoulder height.
Such TUSKERS then continue to be listed with max one page of photos.
Maybe you could update such pages with the latest clear photos but only
subject to your discretion.

b. ASPIRANT TUSKERS :- Elephants with tusks between 0.4 and 0.5 times
the elephant's shoulder height. Here you only list 2 or 3 photos clearly
illustrating tusk size.
( Maybe 3 ASPIRANT TUSKERS per page - even if you have to publish
reduced size photos.)

( Tusk length = visible tusk from lip to tip measured along the outside curve of the tusk. )

This suggestion will result in more and more tuskers being listed but further complicating your ID work !

By applying such rules Mavalanga will qualify as a TUSKER and Mashikiri will be an ASPIRANT TUSKER.

In closing - thanks again for your TUSKERSOFAFRICA website. With this website you are bringing lots of tusker lovers together under one roof.

Gerrie.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

During our May 2013 KNP Elephant Safari we were really privileged to see Kaleka late in the afternoon just before gate closing time within 2 km of where we were camped in Tsendze.

We were heading for camp quite relaxed after yet another marvelous day talking about seeing several large tuskers since we left the Shingwedzi river behind us. As we rounded the bend before the turn-off to the Mooiplaas Picknick Spot I noticed two elephants in the distance and pointing them out to the others Lettie, the dedicated tusker hunter that she is, immediately called out that it is yet another big tusker and a monster at that !

We were quite far from the tusker and I kept steady at 50 km/h to close the distance as quick as possible since the elephants were now scampering across the road. Lettie grabbed the camera with the shorter lens and started shooting through the windscreen while I switched the engine off and coasted in on the elephants which were now over the road and moving into the dense mopani forest.

We have familiarized ourselves from Aat's TUSKERSOFAFRICA as to which tuskers we could expect here and was certain that it was Kaleka whose back was now showing in the mopani but, how to get a better view ? Certainly we could not go to camp with only a few second's view of this magnificent tusker !

Looking and listening to their movements it was clear they were moving towards the Tsendze river and that they will have to cross the dust road which turned off some 50 m behind us. I reversed back to the turn-off and then proceeding quietly [ that's why I insist on a petrol engined vehicle ] down the dust road and soon Lettie could hear the elepants moving through the mopani to our left - they have not yet crossed the dust road !

The engine was switched off again and now the waiting game commenced. After quite a while Kaleka's askari was first to show himself and then a short while later Kaleka became partly visible behind some mopani shrubbery.

A few minutes later and Kaleka boldly crossed the dust road right in front of us :-

He quickly walked into the mopani forrest to our right and with the sun now well behind the horison. I quietly moved the vehicle backwards down the "River Loop" road giving Lettie, who was on the LH side the best possible view for photos.

Unfortunately Kaleka remained well into the mopani but Lettie managed this close-up photo of his tusks :-

Just look at Kaleka's left tusk - although curved forward it actually is not much shorter than the right tusk and beautifully thick - certainly a tusk of note in it's own right.

But that right tusk - whaaaw !

A minute or so later and we were relaxing with a sundowner in our campsite, still flabbergasted with the knowledge of seeing several exceptional tuskers since leaving the Shingwedzi River - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD ! !

Unread postPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:51 pm 

100ponder,
Great you have seen Kaleka :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I have seen him several times and I like this guy a lot. Last trip he was really posing a long long time at short distance and in the open field.
If you see him from short distance you can admire his tusks, certainly the straight right one. Happy Lettie and you found him :) :)

Regarding the tusker site:
First decision made: I am going to reorganize the pages of the tuskers.
I will keep the pictures of the different photographers but one per photographer or a few in case of real added value regarding ID details.
For "new" tuskers I will keep a small series untill new entries are coming in.

Reorganizing DONE by today (may 29th 2013) for all tuskers of today

Thanks for the suggestions you posted. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
WendyA
Yes I remember you told me about it... that it took a bit longer no problem ... women are never on time :lol: :lol: :lol:
But a bit more serious... there are two named female tuskers, MaMerle and MaTrix and this one you presented is not one of these two.
I like to add this female tusker to the site as a new named one, thinking of MaTimba (a bit in line with the other two female tuskers)
If you are able to do this, please can you send the pics in larger format to my tusker address?
tuskers@zeelandnet.nl
Then I will add her to the site
Great sighting and great to have a new female tusker :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"]Can anyone tell me if this ellie is a known tusker?

I saw it in June last year on the H7 (in the Timbavati river bed) - Aat, if you are reading this, I mentioned it to you when we met that day at Croc Bridge last December but it has taken till now to track the photo down and post it (I am FINALLY preparing my June 2012 TR!!!)

Aat,
Is this not the same elephant which I saw near B & D in December?
I think I emailed you a photo.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:36 pm 

Yoda,
I am sorry, but it is not the same elephant.
In the left ear of MaTimba is a hole visible and tusks are longer

[quote="yoda"][quote="Aat"]WendyA
Aat,
Is this not the same elephant which I saw near B & D in December?
I think I emailed you a photo.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 pm 

@ ALL

I am changing and reorganizing several things on the tusker site

DONE by now: Gone through all Tuskers of Today pages and reorganized the number of pictures per Tusker

DONE by now: From the main page you can go to 3 seperate index pages for sections North, Central and South
From each one you can go to other section index pages.
Advantage: Easier to load the page in your browser and most of you are looking for Tusker in one of the sections North, Central or South

North = all roughly till Mopani
Central = Letaba roughly till Satara / Tshokwane
South = South of Tshokwane

To DO: Moving STE tuskers MAC, NKOMBO and promising MUNE to the right sections and remove STE section
(Reason: Back to original goal of site , must be about Tuskers)

To DO: Adding seperate index per section with real promising bulls
Goal of this: Following these bulls over the years to see how they devellop.
(selection criteria will include lenght and tickness of tusks and marks (a.o. ears and tusks) for recognizing / ID'ing them)
There is a large number of promising bulls so ID'ing must be possible.

Like to improve the content and goal of the tusker site :) :)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
Yoda,
I am sorry, but it is not the same elephant.
In the left ear of MaTimba is a hole visible and tusks are longer

Aat,
No prob. Thought it might be the same elephant.

I am not so good at identifying them :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 am 

Please forgive my ignorance re: tuskers, but what qualifies an elephant to be a tusker? I know it includes long tusks, but is there other criteria?

Whatever the answer, they are sure beautiful creatures!

Thanks!
Jay Bird

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Jay Bird, I know that Aat covered this in detail on this thread a couple of years ago; I hope he'll be able to give you the page link as it was very interesting indeed.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:26 am 

Thanks! I was able to find some of his posts with more info! Fascinating reads! Now looking back at my ellie pics of 2009 so see if I may have seen a Big Tusker!

Oh me! I can't get addicted to Kruger! I live 8500 miles away? :?

Biyamiti - Nov 3 - 4
Satara - Nov 5-8
LS - Nov 9 -12
:dance: :dance:

Jay Bird

Post subject: Big Tuskers - New Tusker
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 pm 

Hi all,

Just after reoganizing the tusker site I am happy to announce I have added a new tusker to the site

His name: NWANETSI

Photographed by 3 different people (thanks Perry, Roger and Geoff) :thumbs_up:

Here his page:
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/tuskersnp/nwanetsi.htm

He roams the Satara area , one of the main ID marks is the V-shaped notch in the left ear
I will classify him as Promising tusker

You can expect some more new tuskers soon

Please continue to find, search, photograph and send pictures of these magical creatures.
Think about this: There are less Tuskers in KNP then Cheetah & Painted Dogs (AWD) :rtm: :rtm:

Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers - New Tusker
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Aat wrote:
Think about this: There are less Tuskers in KNP then Cheetah & Painted Dogs (AWD) :rtm: :rtm:

Really? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Out of 12000+ elephants? Aat, so you're saying that there is less than 1-2% of elephants that reach tusker status. Or is that only what we have SO FAR classified?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers - New Tusker
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm 

OWN, it's like it is...
If you look at the current number of Big Tuskers it's less then 20 (even less I guess), looking at the number of promising tuskers it's maybe between 50 and 100, including an uncertain estimated number we haven's seen yet.
Based on all entries I get and taking into account the number of bulls being photographed today with digital camera's. More people paying attention to them.

Also my own view on it based on many visits to the area's Letaba - Shingwedzi where I have seen many bulls but idd a very small number with really "promising" tusks.
We have to keep in mind that the promising tuskers of today are far away from being Big Tuskers like Duke, Hlanganini and others we lost recent years.
Looking at Tembe with a smaller number of bulls but many of them are big tuskers compared to the ones in kruger np.
That's why I try to name promising tuskers of today and follow them over the years to see what happens. Some years ago I decided to have for example Riceho on the tusker site... I was lucky to see him with my own eyes last year and I am convinced he will get the status of big tusker over the years... thickness of his tusks is impressive.

Maybe a long explanation but you know it's my passion :D :D

onewithnature wrote:
Aat wrote:

Really? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Out of 12000+ elephants? Aat, so you're saying that there is less than 1-2% of elephants that reach tusker status. Or is that only what we have SO FAR classified?

Post subject: Big Tuskers - New Tusker
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm 

Hi all,

Again happy to announce another new promising tusker to the site

His name: SHIKOMU

Photographed by 2 different people (thanks 100ponder and R Brett) :thumbs_up:

Here his page:
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/tuskersnp/shikomu.htm

He roams the area between Letaba-Mopani and Phalaborwa. One of the main ID marks is the notches in the left ear.
I will classify him as Promising tusker

You can expect some more new tuskers soon

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 203  Next