Skip to Content

migration routes

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

alexmagda

migration routes

Unread postby alexmagda » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 pm

where can I find more information on migration routes (for birding I have all documention) for this period of the year in Kruger?Did we have a topic in the past?

alexmagda

Re: migration routes

Unread postby alexmagda » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm just looking for info and migration routes of the animals like elephants, zebras, buffalo, wildebeest.....within the borders of The Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park and more specific within Kruger.
I suppose there are also patterns and I'm interested to know where you can locate the (bigger) herds of these animals at this time of the year.
We are travelling in November from the south up to Shingwedze and even Punda Maria.

alexmagda

Unread postby alexmagda » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:33 am

It seems that there is nothing known as migration routes in KNP ....
But if you are lucky you can spot from time to time big herds in Kruger.Where are these herds in november?More up in the north?in the south?

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I have read somewhere that there was indeed a migration of Wildebeest and Zebra from central Kruger westwards towards the edge of the plateau, although not on the same scale as Serengeti. When the land was developed and fences erected, it put an end to the migration. If I can find my source, I will, hopefully, be able to give more detail.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

alexmagda

Unread postby alexmagda » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Rooies
many thanks in advance.
By the way I know that you cannot compare the migration with Serengeti and Masai Mara (I had the luck to see this migration some years ago and this was fabolous....) but I suppose that the herds follow all the time the same route within KNP or even greater Transfrontier.I was looking if it was known if there are regular routes and where some herds can be located in november. We were also thinking for more species like elephants,zebras,buffalo,wildebeest,.....

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:32 pm

The great thing about Kruger is the variety of game that you will see. Impala are the most plentiful with about 130 000 animals scattered all over Kruger. I stand to be corrected but elephants numbers are around 12 000. Buffaloes are about 16 000 strong. (perhaps someone can direct us to the correct figures) But the bottom line is that there are no herds of a 100 000 and more like in Tanzania. Instead you will see a different specie around every corner although in smaller numbers.
Member nr 8512

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Waterbuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:56 pm

If I could also chip in........I am no boffin on the subject of animal migration in Kruger, but a few observations.
1) Large parts of west-central Kruger burnt in late winter this year and we have found that many of the grazers congregate on these new grasses in early summer (not so much the mega-herbivores as the selective grazers like wildebeest).
2) The book Shaping Kruger by Mich Reardon is a nice relaxing read and although there is no specific section on migration, it has much information on the movement of animals in Kruger. There are also a range of other books available.
3) I believe (and I am heavily criticized for it) that browsers; especially elephant, move out of the mopani-veld when the mopani worms arrive in November and December.
4) Kruger has many eco-types which correspond roughly to the respective soil types in the park. Animals seasonally prefer certain types (see the following website for some great maps of this. http://www.sanparks.co.za/parks/kruger/ ... onment.php)
5) Ask around the camps. if there are big herds of buffalo around, people would have seen them.
6) Lastly - Kruger will dish up almost every conceivable animal in each of its corners at different times of the year. Perhaps the best advise - if your out there looking during November, keep plenty of water in your car!!
Post Your Photo's with 3 or more species HERE

alexmagda

Unread postby alexmagda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks a lot Waterbuck for this info.
On arrival at the airport in Johannesburg I will certainly look after the book SHAPING KRUGER.Do you think it's also in the shops in Kruger?

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:09 pm

If you are looking for zebra, there are big herds that move down towards Lower Sabie and Mlondozi plains during the winter months. Hundreds of them everywhere. Apparantly they move back north towards Satara and the more open grasslands once the rains have started.
Hope you find out some more facts. If you do, share with us.
God bless,
Friedric von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

alexmagda

Unread postby alexmagda » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks Friedrich and we will inform you once we are back in town (end november) :think:
In the meantime I have found some more about herds and patterns of migration in Kruger.
Here is the link: http://www.krugerpark.co.za/Kruger_Nati ... wsers.html

If somebody has more info please let us know.

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Just something I have read in the book by Jan Roderiques, "Die Veldwagters Vertel" One of the chapters was written by Johan Kloppers. He wrote that when he was a junior ranger at Tshokwane, he saw herds of wldebeest and zebra of about 40- to 50 thousand strong. During the winter months, they moved from Tsokwane in the direction of Kingfisherspruit. According to him, the migration stopped when the western boundry fence was erected in 1961.
Member nr 8512

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Amazing. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Now, the word "herd", in its true migratory context, may become as obsolete as bobby socks and bowler hats.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Return to “Mammals”