Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: fear of elephants
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 am 

I agree with Annalie, we all are alive, but they are still so bbbiiiigggg! :shock:

What is this walking with elephants and where is it? Please it might make me feel better too! :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will pm you that one. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:57 am 

Mathews asked:
Quote:
What is this walking with elephants and where is it?

And wildheart answered:
Quote:
I will pm you that one.

Me too please? :pray:

Why Dad is ever so careful around elephants - as a young man and before he met mom, he visisted the park with some friends and the friend who owned the car (an anglia) lost its key in a drunken state before the go the KNP. :naughty: So the hot wired it, touching wires to move, this was dad's job as passanger. :whistle: They came upon a herd of elephants with young and stopped so said driver could take :cam: . One of the females took a dislike to them :oops:and they put foot - IN REVERSE. If they stopped she chased and if the moved she stopped :shock: This little stand off carried on for 3 miles (4.8 kg) before elephant gave up the ghost! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Liesl Da Silva wrote:
This little stand off carried on for 3 miles (4.8 kg) before elephant gave up the ghost! :big_eyes:

4.8kg - That doesnt seem very far. :hmz: :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:27 pm 

:huh: At high speed and in reverse being chased by an angry elephant it could seem like 14.8?? 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol:
I think WH was joking about the 4.8 KG :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elephants also have a friendly side.
Take a look.
a Kiss

Hand in the mouth!

I love them dearly! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I also learned to love and respect elephants more after getting close up and personal with them......

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:11 am 

Wildeart and Ecojunky these are all beautiful pictures. I am really going to see if I can not go to the one at Hartebeespoort. I grew up in Rustenburg and know the area very well, I know where this place is.

Thank you for posting these nice pictures.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have heard from various bushwise KNP rangers that if you are first at a certain location , the elephants will generally avoid you .
These guys came up close to our campsite on the Crocodile river last Tuesday morning where I had the priviledge of camping with current and ex trails rangers at the Wilderness trails 30th anniversary event .
I was photographing them earlier away from the tents and vehicles suddenly some of them appeared around a bush from the "wrong" side and sauntered up close , seemingly unpeterbed by me . Had I have been alone I would have been petrified !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:00 am 

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What more can I say then WWWOOOOOWWWW!!!!

This is amazing. I am wondering how I would have felt if I was there. I am sure I will look like this :shock: and this :shock: . As all know that had a browse through this topic is that I am @@##$%%% scared of the ellies, but even though I am scared i am also amazed by their beauty and their presense.

These are truely the most amazing pictures that I have seen. Well done.

OOOHHHH! And some interesting information on the 4th of October the battle at Kruger (from the vid on you tube) is being broadcasted on National geographic here in Australia. It is whole analyses of the whole battle with the lions and buff's and croc. I can not wait to see it. This weekend there is no time for sport on TV, hubby will have to wait!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 am 

I've just come back from Hazyview and took wildheart's advice and visited with the elephants on Saturday 27/9 - WOW! I'll be going back! Elephants are truely amazing animals! and its sooooooo cool 8) to be that close to them!

Thanks wildheart! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:16 am 

Hallo

I would like to go and walk with the elephants. I heard though that there was an incident in Botswana (I think) with a similar setup where the elephants went a bit dilly and trampled some people.

What savety measures do they take at these places?

Are the people well trained? :hmz:

Post subject: Re: Fear of elephants
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 am 

A bit late for a reply but here goes.

I never felt unsafe - the elephants at the sanctuary are use to human interaction and their handlers are well trained. We had no problems and Robert (3 years old) didn't want to leave.

They give you the history of the elephants too. I hope this helps!

Post subject: Re: Fear of elephants
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:07 pm 

Hallo to All....

I was just over 1 year old when I was introduced to the Kruger... And since never stopped going.... Yeah, the Ellies.... if you don't have some fear, you most probably don't have respect either for the silent giants... I can tell many a story of many a Ellie... but today I will share the one of last year.... Unfortunately I need to give some background....

We left early for Phabeni Gate.... Me, Dad and Mom..... Driving enjoying "our" piece of heaven.... The chat in car was about The Ozzie Crocodile Hunter who passed away the week earlier while doing what he loved so much (Irvin)... so the three of us deciced if we have to die, we would love doing it in "our" bush... Not tragically, just silently passing away next to a waterhole... you understand what I mean.....

We saw the youngster Ellie on the left, and immediately started looking for the family, as he was much to young to be alone... passed the Ellie slowly... and then all hell broke loose.... As if in Jurassic Park the bushes started moving from the right, about 100m infront of us.... They stopped in the middle of the road..Mommy and the elder two siblings... now juvenile is behind us... not good... never come between Mommy and her babies.....!!!!! Mommy gives one load Elle command, in such away that the 3 uf us are not uttering a word... The Volvo becomes to small for us as we bundle togeter in the middle....Juvenile responds instantly!!!!.... My poor elderly dad is listening to commands from two histerical women, we ended up completely of the road, youngster charging ears flat, trunk straignt ahead and trumpeting back to Mommy... He passed our now bush Volve within 1 meter from us.... In total shock, still not knowing what we did wrong, as we are seasoned travellers to the Kruger, the nerves turned into much relieved laughs.... and as the small group reunited infront of us... who passes... about 20m behind them.... a beautiful lioness...

Everything is starting to make sense to us now, so we assume their paths must have crossed.... We are in the clear laughing because, just there we actually thought we could die the way we would love to.... but the best was yet to come, as the Ellies rushed off into the bush we drove to find the lioness... and yes, there they were, yes THEY....she started calling them and they appeared out of nowhere.. 2 cubs.... so both the mothers were rushing towards their babies.....

Bottom line, we've been going there for years.... seen plenty Ellies, but never, never let you guard down.... Nature is unpredictable... Have respect, and you will enjoy the Mighty One's....

Greetings,
Zorro

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next