Post subject: Re: fear of elephants
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great stuff Ice :shock:

What a laugh :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:58 pm 

actually, my wife was scared to death - and so were most of the other folks on the vehicle...not so the driver: afterwards he said that yes, he saw the passengers on the ride side of the truck move to the left (away from the elephant) but he thought they did so because they had seen something interesting on this other (left) side, he never thought it was because the elephant was approaching :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:37 am 

I think that I should take a pair of clean clothes with me in the mouse mobile when I go out for drives. So for the people at Croc Bridge doing the games drives if you see a person dressed up as a mouse and with a big bag full off extra mouse suites then you know it is me.

:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:funny:

Ha Ha Ha! Mathews rather get some adult nappies and spare your tracksuit pants :wink: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:49 pm 

My Aunt was also very scared of the elephants though they are her favourire animals. I bought her a cartoon postcard on her first visit showing an ellie sitting on a car and people and cars scattering and it read something like "how the animals control numbers or keep numbers down!" :D

Any way Aunt has been infected quite successfully with the KNP virus and love visiting! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:33 am 

:lol: Annelie you know I have not thought of the adult nappies, but I don't think they have my size, you must know that I am quite RROOOUUUNNDDDDD!! ha-ha. I think I should buy a few and stick them together. :hmz:

Those ellies don't know what is coming!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mathews wrote:
:lol: Annelie you know I have not thought of the adult nappies, but I don't think they have my size, you must know that I am quite RROOOUUUNNDDDDD!! ha-ha. I think I should buy a few and stick them together. :hmz:

Those ellies don't know what is coming!

Poor ellies :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 am 

To be honest I don't think that I am so scared of them ellies no more, but I think it is different saying it sitting behind my pc, it might be a different story looking one in the eye! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our Dec '06 visit at Shingwedzi was also a very adventurous one. :lol: We got lost on the Redrocks driving in the wrong direction (the new map-book we bought was wrong) and started running late for gate closing time. After scratching out the old map book and seeing where our mistake was, we started traveling back towards camp. That was when we encountered a whole family of elephants on both sides of the road. Now usually we do not attempt to pass in the middle, but this time we had no choice with the sun going down. :doh:

My SO slowly started driving and the ellies were not impressed. Image A few broke branches while the rest were staring at us. We didn’t know should we give foot or just carry on passing slowly in the middle. Slowly we carried on and as soon as we thought, Ok we are safe, then more ellies appeared on the sides. Image That was when my daughter looked back and saw a huge ellie chasing after us. Trumpetering and flapping ears in a cloud of dust. Again, give foot or carry on slowly with loads of ellies next to us, in front of us and one chasing behind us? Image
Believe it or not we carried on slowly, I think it was more a state of shock that made SO freeze.Image As we passed the last ellies that were in front of us all of us screamed: “DRIVE!!”, the ellie behind us were by this time meters away from our bumper…

Well we made it out safely although we were in shock for days after the ordeal. Image
Since then my SO refuse to pass an ellie on the side of the road, even in the South.
:wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Those maps can be very misleading! Two years ago I went down a clearly marked loop on the river road south of Letaba. I was faced with a herd either side of the road but since none was actually right on the road side, decided to carry on. Always a bit tense doing this but all was OK. Imagine my feelings when the loop turned out to be a dead end after a kilometer or so, knowing that the herd might still be there. And they were!

Having said that, we should remind new visitors to the Park that, though great care should be taken around elephants, they are nearly always no problem. I can remember very clearly driving out of the Kanniedood hide, stopping to look at a bird, when a friend looked the other side of the car to see an elephant inches from the road, completely indifferent to our presence. Mind you we did not stay long!

Richard

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mmmh - dead ends and eles are not a good mix!

Especially if you're on the wrong side of the dead end! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can say that again, especially after having such an experience on the little road to the Bobbejaankrans lookout point! But on a brighter side - all forumites got out alive otherwise they would not be able to do this postings :huh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have found from all our ellie encounters that only the Shingwedzi area ellies are crumpie. Always braking branches, flapping ears and chase now and then. Very crumpie! :shock:

We took our daughter to a place called Walk with Elephants to overcome her fear of ellies. It worked! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've had the odd grumpie ele down south. Had one charge us south of Satara as I was doing a 3-point turn to get a photo. The car was facing into a bush and I was just about to reverse when the ele charged.

Needless to say I went through the bush :shock: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next