SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Batmad's Bat Course
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Howzit Bently,

I have the contact details for you but i dont think want to post them on this thread for specific reasons. If you want you can PM me and i will give you the deatils :wink: ,

Hope this helps,

BM

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

AHA!!! The bat world is coming alive!!!!! *says to self* thank you :pray:

Plans for outings and reserch everything!!! I am starting a project now with the Gauteng bat interest group, but i still need to decide what i am going to do it on....

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!

For more batty info!!!

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bats are becoming more and more noticed around SA and hopefully i have done a good job on the forum to. I am telling you know that Batting is going to be as loved as birding is and people around SA will be armed with a bat detector and a bat book......................

I give you this introduction because it is not going to work or become true unless you to help the bat community! In SA the Short Eraed Trident bats (cloetis Percevile) *might have spelt it wrong* population is dropping due to the fact that people are entering there caves while they are hibernating. People are also killing bats that have inhabited there roofs and i read a very sad article about how visitors at Kruger forced the staff to irradicate ALL of the bats in there roof. And thus bats started to drop from the tatch roof one by one after being sprayed by a can of doom...............

The fate of bats around the world and not just SA is in our hands! When people want to kil the bats in there rooves then explain to them that bats acctualy prevent malaria and eat those bugs that you dont like....
They repolonate trees and plant new ones by dropping there droppings in places far from the original tree.

Bats are vital!!! and unless we help they will become extinct due to habitat loss, Killing for food, killing for fun etc. Bats need us! They cant fight a battle that has already been won, so we need to help them to win that battle!!!

I say it again....

The bats species outcome lies with you.......................

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thats very true BM, I (personally) haven't thought about it that way, but you gave me along time back a new perspective on bats. I thank you again, and may I say may I learn even more from you about bats! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Autum is the time that bats start to stock up for hibernation and start slowing there acctivities down....

That time has started dawning upon us slowly but surley........

Some bats migrate to different caves or roosts others just stay where they are and go into Torpor but will often come out and grab a few bights to eat.

This is also the time that some species of bats start to mate and the females then use a magnificent phenomenon called Sperm storage. They stroe the sperm in there utrus and then release the sperm in spring and then give birth when insects are plentiful.

But if you go outside and look for bats, each night the numbers will drop.....

This is also (in my opinion) to put up a bat house, so that when they coem out of hibernation or torpor a nice new comfy home is ready for them.....

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

has anyone on the bat course gone to de Hoop guano cave?

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The Dehoop Guano cave hosts home to ALOT of bats!!!

There are 5 main species that use the cave as both maternity roosts, Winter roosts and summer roosts. The species names are below....

1-Temmincks hairy bat (myotis tricolor)
2-Cape horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus Capensis)
3-Geoffroys horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus Clivosus)
4-Common Slit faced bat (Nycteris Thebaica)
5-Natal Long fingered bat (Miniopterus Natalensis)

More info will be posted soon.............

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The species that rosst in here use the cave for the following....

1-Natal long fingered bat-winter roost, Maternity roost*
2-Common Slit faced bat-Winter roost
3-Temminks hairy bat-Maternity roost*
4-Cape Horseshoe bat-Winter roost
5-Geoffroys Horseshoe bat-Winter roost

*Maternity roost= A roost site where ONLY females roost when about to give birth and stay there with there when they are pregnant and have had there babies.

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mating is a very complexed cycle, we often take it for granted and underestimate what happens especially in the bat world.
If you have a look in bat books or Mammal books (that include bats) in Southern Africa you will find that only a few bats mating behaviours have been observed here in Southern Africa. One of the factors that have led to these observations not being made are because bats mating does not really appeal to people and bat workers. Another factor contributing to this may be because some bats choose to roost in places that aren’t exactly accessible to man, an example of this is the species Mops condylurus (Angolan Free Tailed bat) which choose to roost in the expansion joints of bridges sometimes. Now unless you would want to tempt fate then i don’t think you would want to hang over a bridge about 10-15m high just to observe bats mating.
Not a lot of people take care in observing bats mating, yet this could be a key factor in identification someday or possibly even leading to a new species of bat being discovered. It could also present to us more discoveries such as bats going to a specific roost to mate etc.

Some bats have the ability to store sperm in there uterus after mating takes place in Autumn and then release it and use it in spring and time the birth of their baby/baby’s in time with a flourish of insects.

So bats mating behaviour could be the key and if not it is still certainly very interesting and i think that a lot more can still be learned and studied and maybe even a few discoveries and conclusions may occur.

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The above article i am hoping to puplish in the Gauteng and Northern Regions bat interest group newsletter. I have already published one article and this would be my 2nd (if it gets puplished)

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow BM that's amazing. Never knew about them storing stuff in the uterus. They really are underestimated and misunderstood.
Good Luck on getting your article published.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

im back everyone sorry for the absence

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

All forumites....

I have tought you guys most of the stuff i know and i have givin you and intro into the bat world.....i cant do it all for you guys...now you need to go out and read up some more....thats where your knowledge grows even more....

The bat course is officialy over but this topic will remain open for questions and ANYTHING related to bats!!

if info comes in i will post it here but other wise i have tought you guys most of the stuff i know.....

I hope you have learnt from me 8)

Regards,

BM

Ps. Mods please make this a sticky??

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You are the Battiest Best BM....thanks and we'll keep the thread open :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wait....

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG edit! :lol:

I wanna carry on with the course because i realised the other day that i still have info for you guys!! 8)

Please also check the first few pages as i have revamped the course a bit :wink:

Stiffnecks Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next