SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

thank you for sharing the pic with us :mrgreen:
as you can see fruit bats are very gregorious and in this pic it is very clear.

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Liesl Da Silva wrote:
Hi Batmad

I know what these are I just thought I'd share the pic with you! They are fruit bats and I found them in Skukuza under the thatch roofs outside the cafiteria. Saw them the first time 26-27 April and again 14-15 June!

Enjoy! 8) Image

Yip, Wahlberg's eppulated fruit bats. you will notice if you look carefully that some of them are wearing radio transmitting devices.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

everyone thinks that bats are ugly, disgusting, scary and more. once you see a bat up close you will see that they are harmless and will only bight in self defence. bats are crucial to the environment and play a huge role. fruit bats polonate flowers and drop there feices everywhere which contains fruit seeds in them. this creates new fruit trees and polonates flowers. i will admit that some bats do look a little ugly but the rest are adorable. if you look closely at the horseshoe bat you will see how sophisticated there nose leaves are. nose leaves are the nose of a particular bat and that bat echolocates through that nose. some bats that do not have nose leaves echolocate through there mouth. i will try to get a diagram of a horseshoe bats nose leaves and post it and then i will explain in more detail.

bats are the second largest order of mammals after the rodent familey. they are comprised of over 900 species all over the world.

there are also many bat groups that spend there lives trying to protect bats. i am one of those people but i also have to do school work :evil: these groups go on outings using mist nets and harp traps to catch the bat but they have to have a permit first to be able to catch the bats.

will explain more about bats later, but if there are any bats needed to be ID please post!

all the best
Batmad

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:10 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Some intetresting facts here Batmad. Thank you for taking the trouble to share it with us :clap: ...I have a photo of some bats in Kgalagadi...I just need to find it first...or was it Video :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Batmad wrote:
everyone thinks that bats are ugly, disgusting, scary and more.
I will definitely not say everyone Batmad, I love bats! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

michel nel... posting info on this thread is no hastle as i want everyone to learn about bats :mrgreen:

bats are fascinating mammals and are the most misunderstood creatures on the earth! on this thread i want to help members of the forum learn and understand more about bats and by posting more and more info i am hoping that i am fulfilling this?

all the best Batmad

Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ok...........

TIPS ON SAVING A BAT:

these are some tips on how to rescue a bat if you find one grounded or injured.

if you find a bat DO NOT handle it without waring gloves as there may be the fact that the bat has rabies but that is highly unlikely to happen as you have more chance than getting involved in a car crash than getting rabies from a bat. take the bat and put it in a box close the box and take it to free me or get hold of a member of your nearest bat interest group.

if you find a baby dont think it is injured and pick it up and think you are saving it because you are not. if you find a baby place it on a high point and the mother will come and find her precious baby.

all the best Batmad

Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
What are the most common bats in the Pretoria area?

In late summer there seems to be a uproar in the bat community around my house.

Big ones flying around at dusk. They seem to be fruit bats. Then there are also smaller ones. One of the smaller variety flew straight into my car's windshield a few months ago. I stopped to show my daughter the bat as it was lying in the road. As I got out to pick it up, hesitantly though, it miraculously woke up from death's doorstep, jumped up and seemed to shake its head before it flew off again.

It looked like it was standing up straight. Can bats do that? And how often do their radars drop them allowing them to fly into objects?

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ok.....

in pretoria the bat life is awsome! i went there a few months ago to assist a lady tht had bats in her roof. we cached the bats (yellow house bats) and showed the people that these creatures are harmless!
any way, the most common bats in pretoria are the eppulated fruit bats (walhbergs) and the yellow house bats and the cape serotine bats. do you know what the bat that flew into your car looked like and the size etc. i MIGHT be able to id it.
the reason why it flew into your windscreen was probaly because the car was a strange object and it might have confused the bats echolocation. or the bat was one of those special ones :mrgreen:

all the best
Batmad

Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sorry batmad, I did not get a proper look at it. Maybe next time, hey. Thanks for your feedback, you sure know a lot about bats. :clap:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love bats as well and, because of this thread :clap: , I went on a mission to find roosting ones apart from those at Skukuza. I found two roosting in a hut at Lower Sabi. Can you please help with the ID Batmad? Sorry for the quality...
On the way to Lower Sabi from Satara, we saw a Steenbok go into a culvert which disturb a bat. The bat flew out, landed on a tree and as it came back to the culvert a Forktailed Drongo went for it. Do you know why it would do that since they don't eat bats? Perhaps a mistaken identity or because they compete for the same food source?
:?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Angola Free Tailed Bats :) (Mops condylurus)

The incident with the fork tailed drongo- Drongo's are carnivorous birds at the best of times and im not surprised that it went for the bat. I once saw a Woodlands Kingfisher eating a Little Free Tailed Bat :)

Stiffnecks Member

Last edited by Batmad on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Batmad :clap:
Very interesting indeed...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Candy's Style wrote:
[img]....[/img]
:?

i am sorry i cant resiste..........

THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:00 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

And this little feller, seen eh... Let's say in the extreme north-west of southern africa?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next