Skip to Content

Bat, Angolan Free Tailed

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bat, Angolan Free Tailed

Unread postby Batmad » Wed May 07, 2008 8:18 pm

The Angolan Free Tailed Bat (Mops condylurus) is undoubtedly one of Kruger's most common species of bat. It is a member of the Molosidae family (Free Tailed Bats) and is highly gregarious often roosting in groups of 100-1000 individuals. They are distinguished from other bats within Kruger by the tail hanging free from the tail membrane (Free Tailed Bat) , the mastiff like face and the white/off white underparts.

This species is common in the majority of camps within Kruger but one of the best places to see this species is in Letaba rest Camp where they occupy the bat houses. It is a must do when visiting the camp and staying over to go to one of these bat houses at sunset and to witness these bats drop from their roost in their thousands!
Last edited by Batmad on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Thu May 08, 2008 10:05 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: I certainly learnt from your description -- well done :clap:

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Bats, Free Tailed

Unread postby Batmad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Are there any more questions on this subject?? I may be able to answer them :wink:
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Peter Apps

pictures of Angolan free-tailed bat

Unread postby Peter Apps » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Greetings all

I am updating the Smithers Mammals of Southern Africa Field Guide, and I want to upgrade the Angolan free-tailed bat (Mops condylurus) to a full species treatment. Penny Meaking is doing the new illustrations, and I need photographs for her to work from. To my surprise I am finding it difficult to find anyone who has pictures of Angolan free-tailed bats.

Ideally it would be good to have a nice clear shot of the whole animal, but Penny is able to combine parts from different pictures, so cropped edges, odd things in the background, and parts of human hands may not be a major problem.

As an incentive I can offer an acknowledgment in the book , and a free copy.

Please PM me.

Thank you

Peter Apps

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Mammal ID Needed?

Unread postby Batmad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:46 pm

darth bangkok wrote:Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me id these bats which i saw in Skukuza rest camp. Thanks in advance!

Ok, sorry for the late reply havent been on the forums in ages! :redface:

these bats in the bat house are Angolan Free tailed bats (Mops condylurus) in your first photo you can clearly see the white underbelly which is diagnostic of this species.

the bats flying out of the letaba bridge are also probaley Angolan Free tailed bats but they could also be Little Free tailed bats. i would think a mixture of both as i have recorded angolan on the letaba bridge before but i have heard of little free tailed being present aswell.

Aussie Ranger- it may look like a slit faced bat because the bat in the photo has its mouth open which may couse it to look like a slit in the photo but slit faced bats normally roost in caves and not bat houses. bat houses are genrally built for the crevice dwelling species :wink:

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Bats, Angola Free Tailed

Unread postby Batmad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:08 am

An individual handed to me at Letaba Rest Camp by a member of staff, was a bit shell shocked for some reason. Placed him in a high spot after checking him out and off he went :D

Return to “Mammals”