Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Antelope in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:11 pm 

Hi guys. the cats always get a mention but nobody ever seems to mention any of the buck! :roll: my question to you - are there Roan in the park? have only ever seen them in Hwange and only for a split second and would love to see them again.

and what about nyala? from my previous trip I only saw one during my entire stay there. why the scarcity - does anyone know?

Thanks!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi shortcourse -- there are plenty of nyala in KNP. We saw a lot up in the northern section and also quite a few round Orpen.
Not lucky enough to see roan although heard of some near Mopani !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:22 pm 

ahhh - never even thought that the reason why only saw one nyala was because I just wasn't lucky enough! :D guess will just have to keep my eyes peeled next time out!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello shortcourse

As p@m says there are "plenty" nyala in the KNP. Chances are definitely better in the north but I've seen them as far south as Skukuza surrounds, and only a week or so ago a gorgeous bull showed up, right by the fence at Letaba camp.
I've only seen roan in the Kruger once, and that was on the Northern Plains 4x4 trail. Same for Lichtenstein's hartebees.
As for other not too common bucks... if you are in the neighbourhood, check the Capricorn loop near Mopani for tsessebe. Almost guaranteed 8)
W.r.t. sable... no matter what people say; there are NO sable in Kruger! :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,

I did see Roan in Sept 2007 in the Singwedzi area. During the same trip we saw Sable as well (JOSE)!!!, but is was so quick that we didnt had any change of making fotos. At first we thought the Roan may be a donkey, because of its long ears. When we got nearby we saw that it is actually the real one.....
For some of the older persons who was with me, it wasw the first time in about 20 years.
So keep looking.....
Good luck

Post subject: Buck
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:14 pm 

Hi shortcourse, found 29 :D :mrgreen: Roan antelope at Boyela drinking hole on the H1-7 close to Sirheni. Your chance of see Roan in KNP increase when you move to the northern part of KNP.

Well I hope that you will be able to spot them one day! :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It was almost guarenteed that you'd see sable near Phalaborwa gate a few (quite a few) years ago.
Has anyone seen sable in that area lately?
I guess thats why the sable dam is near Phalaborwa gate! :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bennievis, there were a quite a number of sightings of Sable after the fire that happened in about August.
I saw 5 Sable close to Numbi Gate when I visited in October.

My son was in the Park last Saturday and he saw Nyala near Satara.

My sighting, of sightings over the cricket weekend was a Reedbuck, (such beautiful animals) at the bridge close to Skukuza.

I waited at the sighting for as long as I could, hoping for another forumite to arrive to enjoy it with me, but to no avail. :( I was cricket scoring so most folk had already left.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:35 am 

Ah ha - seems like nyala are generally found further north so that probably explains why I only saw one - between Lower Sabie and Skukuza on that dirt road (not sure the name but runs parallel to the H4 - think it is the S30) Was just about all I saw on that road though :?

Thanks for the advice - Crocodile Bridge, Lower Sabie and Satara in August!!! :dance: Yay!!! :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Shortcourse
I saw A Nyala bull with a female at the end of Feb this year along the Crocodile river road near the biyamitii causeway. They are far more plenitful in the far north of the park and near Pafuri picnic site there is a short drive called the Nyala drive. You are guaranteed to see plenty on this road. I have not seen Roan or Sable for a few years now. but know of others who have, so they are around, but scarce

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:08 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Forumites

Well done on starting this thread. I agree - way too much attention is given to the predators and not enough to the beautiful buck we have in the KNP.

SABLE
In my 10 odd years associated with the KNP (five as an employee), I have seen sable a mere eight times (for Jose and W@H :twisted: ). Four of these sitings were near Pretoriuskop (once on the Madhlabantu Adventure Trail, twice from the H1-1 and once from an aircraft when I helped out with the census), once at Talamati (resulting in the photograph I now use as an avatar) and twice in the region of N'wanetsi (the first was about eight years ago, the second and third was last weekend :dance: ). Any sighting of these beautiful animals is great and should be enjoyed thoroughly.

ROAN
I have only seen this beautiful creature three times! Once on the road to Giriyondo, once in the breeding camp north of Shingwedzi (you drive past this facility if you do the Northern Plains Adventure Trail) and once just south of Mopani. My SO and I left Mopani heading for Phalaborwa and saw a lone bull just before the H14 turn off. He crossed the road in front of us and walked into the Mopanie, in less than a second he was gone and my camera was still waiting patiently on my lap ... :?

LICHTENSTEIN'S HARTEBEES
Once, near Pretoriuskop. Very far away though so perhaps this animal should go into my never seen list.

REEDBUCK
Twice. Once near Pretoriuskop and the other time north of Letaba.

NYALA
Stax of times, too numerous to count. Easiest to see them is near Punda Maria, where on one game drive around the Mahoney Loop I must have seen about seven or eight different groups. I have also seen them on the "river road" (between Phabeni and Kruger gates), near Nkuhlu Picnic Spot, in and around Skukuza, on the H4-2 just outside Croc Bridge (three beautiful bulls), from Shingwedzi camp itself, near Crooks Corner, Pafuri etc etc.

SHARPE'S GRYSBOK
Three times. Once on the Mahoney Loop near Punda Maria (although we must have seen about three or four different animals), on the Dzundzwini loop (funny story - I was hosting a journalist from Getaway magazine and she said "STEENBUCK" as I said "GRYSBUCK" - spent the next few minutes telling her the difference :evil: ) and last weekend near N'wanetsi.

TSESSEBE
Again too numerous to mention. Have seen both major herds (Pretoriuskop - about 18 animals and Mopani - about 12 animals), both on more than one occassion and the "strange" lone one that hangs out at the intersection where the main road between Pafuri and Shingwedzi T-junctions with the road to Punda.

I have never seen Eland in the KNP, although I know they exist from reports.

So you see, regarding the rare antelope species, they are definitely still in the park but they are difficult to find. Even staff members battle to see them regularly. On this thread, there are enough clues to increase your chances of seeing them.

Enjoy searching.

KNP Spokesman

Post subject: Re: Buck
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

shortcourse wrote:
Hi guys. the cats always get a mention but nobody ever seems to mention any of the buck! :roll: my question to you - are there Roan in the park? have only ever seen them in Hwange and only for a split second and would love to see them again.

and what about nyala? from my previous trip I only saw one during my entire stay there. why the scarcity - does anyone know?

Thanks!

Hi Shortcourse. You might find some interesting info in these threads too:

Antelope: Roan Antelope
Antelope: Nyala

And this thread: Rare antelope

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Shortcourse, one of the most memorable experiences I have had in the Park was with Klipspringer.
I was travelling from Skukuza to Lower Sabie. Close to the Nkumbe lookout point 3 Klipspringer appeared in the road.
I switched my engine off and just watched them.
They were very curious and slightly nervous at first. I must have sat for about 10 minutes as they inched closer and closer.
Eventually the one was so close that I could have stroked him had I put my hand out the window.
Unfortunately the magic was broken with the appearance of another vehicle. :(

I have also frequently spotted a little Duiker soon after leaving Skukuza. It's always been in exactly the same spot and disappears into the bush as I approach it.
It was doing a little dance in the early morning in the middle of the road when I was there in January.

I have also been fortunate in that I have seen Reedbuck on my last three visits. Once they were far from my car (there were 2) and disappeared almost before I could identify them. The other times have been close to Skukuza.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:21 pm 

Here's a nice Nyala Bull seen this Feb in the south of Kruger for you Shortcourse. :D
We usually have at least one sighting of Nyala every trip but not so lucky for Sable or Roan unfortunately.
Good luck with your trip and seeing some for your self as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am 

Reading up on Roan, Sable, Tssessebe and Eland in Kruger on the Sanparks main page (type in "count" under search) and there is an interesting article on their decline since the 1980's. Per the study, it would seem that the decline has largely been due to the increase in lions, as well as competition with other grazers / browers such as zebra and wildebeest.

The study shows how lions have spread into the Northern regions of the park over the last couple of years, with Roan, eland and Tssessebe being found mainly in the Northern Regions only, while sable are also found in Pretorioskop region as well as in the North.

Quite an interesting read if you are interested.