View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
wildtuinman wrote:
BTW, Sweni, I read, is host to biggest lion pride in Kruger and also the densest population of lion probably in Africa.

The book "NightStalk" describes how big this pride is. The Sweni pride consisted out of 37 lions. Over and above this they shared their territory with 6 other subadult males and another pride nearly as big as themselves to the west and a smaller pride to the north. Truly amazing!

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Lion paw.

Post subject: Lions stalking hippos
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:50 pm 

At Olifants last month, we were looking down on the river from the observation shelter, and saw five young lions standing absolutely still on the rocks watching a herd of hippo with several young in the river. The carcass of a young hippo was lying in the water not far from the further bank.
Suddenly the leading lion began hopping from rock to rock, and working his way across to the further bank, reaching the point where the carcass was lying. A second lion joined him and the others came up and waited some distance behind.
For some time nothing happened.The lions were motionless on their haunches, staring at the hippos. Then suddenly two of the adult hippos rushed out of the water and up the bank heading straight for the lions -- who turned tail and loped away into the bush .
Do lions often kill hippos?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:24 pm 

Hi Gerald, and welcome to the forum. :D
Lions are opportunistic animals and will take more or less anything if the chance presents itself.
They more than likely do not actively hunt hippos due to the ferocity of the adults, but a Hippo carcass would be too much to resist. :wink:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Lion numbers in Kruger question
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:12 am 

Does anybody know what the latest statistics are of how many lions are in Kruger?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:40 am 

I seem to recall that there was supposed to be a Lion census being conducted in late May, starting in the South of the Park.
Maybe someone has more info on whether it has been completed yet.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
estimated 1500 lions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yup, it was definetly 1500. Lets hope the Bovine TB won't affect there numbers. :)

Even though I don't like lions, they are part of nature, so I wish them the best. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:42 am 

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kruger King...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:08 pm 

Loams wrote:
I think Kalahari Lions are generally bigger than their Kruger counterparts, also, they don't have TB to deal with. Because the kalahari is a desert, I believe that Kalahari Lions don't have as much competition from other Lions, their territories are generally bigger, and they come into contact with other Lions less often than their cousins.

All of these factors can play a roll in why the Kalahari Lions look better in general

But the Kalahari lion has it much tougher than Kruger lion in other areas like harsher environment, lack of cover to hunt, less prey species etc. They basically scavange in the Kalahari most of the time and their cub mortality is much higher as well.

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Lions
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:20 am 

S100 March this year

Post subject: Fat Cat Addo Lions
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:37 pm 

We have a fat cat at home because she is 16 and has given up the idea of hunting birds and ending up in the pool for her anti social behaviour. Now she eats her food plus the dogs leftovers and sleeps...She is also now very fat.....Could the same easy life be happening to Addo lions.

Not so long ago I saw a film of the capture of Bitterpan and other pride lions destined for Addo. They were the normal sleek mean and beautiful Kalahari Lions. They were then released into Addo not too long ago and it seems that the multi days long trek just to find the odd porcupine are over for them in their new home and it seems to me that it is almost like a kid who now spends its life in a fast food and take away alley. I went to Addo this morning and the first animal I saw through the new South Gate was this little ex Kalahari Missus. She crossed the road slowly in front of me and then stopped in the thick Karoo Boerboon bush on the side of the road to check out this lens being pointed at her. We spent 10 mins together before she decided she better move on. She must have been the princess of Bitterpan a year or so ago but our little Lass now wears a big fat collar (Doesn't do much for photos!!!) and our Kalahari Miss is now very broad in the beam from the easy meals at Addo. She's fat but at least she had a nice personality!!

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Lion attacking vehicle
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

These are not my pics but were sent to me by a friend. I thought I would post them here to show you just how scary Lions are.

Sorry if this post is too big. If so maybe a Mod can fix it, thanx.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:59 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

WOW! What a series! Especially the first two pics, they are just great! Do you have the story behind it as well? It would seem to be the KTP, but was the car annoying the lion? Or just a bad hairday for the lion?
Snoobab wrote:
Sorry if this post is too big. If so maybe a Mod can fix it, thanx.

It would seem to be fine, just tinypic being rather slow at the moment....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next