SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here's an interesting thread

Also please when posting sighting info, don't forget the road where you spotted it, preferably the road number, thanx

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Nico, that's fantastic. I love the way the Wild dog raises itself on its hind legs. They really are quick and agile creatures.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:34 pm 

Another amazing video clip, really fascinating.
Thanks Nico. :D

Post subject: Wild dog
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:04 pm 
Today about 4km along the Bume Road (S26) from the western turnoff. 4 animals. Only time they sat up was to listen to lion roars nearby, after ten in the morning! ((34 degrees Celsius!).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm 

Ah, yes.. It was certainly just luck.. It's all in the timing.. I also appreciate it when people ask you to pull over to tell you what they've seen - that is what helped us that time!

Last time I saw Wild Dog was on my April/May 2007 trip.

Got some nice pics:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
on the S26 (Bume Road near Biyamiti), 2 km before S114

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:24 pm 

As its taking me soo long to get my trip report sorted out, I am going to post a little tester pic of one of the Wild dogs seen last month just outside Skukuza. :wink: :D
My best ever Wild dog trip. :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What a beauty, Elsa! 8)

Post subject: Lifespan
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm 
Talking purely about Kruger, and judging according to the constant appearance and disappearance and reappearance aff packs, and the very much reduced sizes of packs as compared to the previous century, I would suggest that wild dog are having a tougher time of it!? :shock:

Probably linked to the increase in lion numbers and the whole artificial water-point question.

Their strongholds were the Pretoriuskop-Malelane, Phalaborwa, and Punda Maria areas, all with very low lion densities in the 1980's for example.

Contrarily, they have always been most prolific around Skukuza too, with a high lion density! :?

I think once they reach adulthood they are pretty safe from predators, but if one den gets hammered, that is a far greater setback for such socially concentrated animals, and they probably naturally split up to try for a better chance in the next season, making hunting more difficult!? :?

To answer the question, I think they would therefore average
about a generation in age in the Park (3 or 4 years), with a dwindling number of much older pack leaders!

This is all just speculation, and the long-standing wild-dog research project should give more info! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Lifespan
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

@ G@mespotter: Thanks for the compliment! :redface:

@ Richprins: I agree with your general assessment.

One statement is not accurate though:

Richprins wrote:

I think once they reach adulthood they are pretty safe from predators, but if one den gets hammered, that is a far greater setback for such socially concentrated animals, and they probably naturally split up to try for a better chance in the next season, making hunting more difficult!? :?

Wild dogs need a pack. They are extremely vulnerable without the pack. A pack is a cohesive extended family unit and will not split up - ever. Only when a pack become extremely large is there a chance that it may split in to two packs, but then it will still be packs with the minimum of adult members that will be able to sustain the pack.

The only dogs that leave the pack is those - usually young females, but sometimes males too - that leave the pack because they have no possibility of breeding in their natal pack and therefore leave to try and join another pack or start a new one.

The pack itself is however stable and will stay together, especially in hard times!

It has been shown that packs with less than 5/6 adults have reduced chance of success in hunting, but more especially in breeding and tend to dwindle and disappear. Larger packs ensures a higher success in the hunt.

A single wild dog is extremely exposed to other predators, and will not have a great chance of survival.

Lion is a constant threat, and has been shown to be the single most important factor in wild dog mortality and therefore in determining wild dog habitat selection in KNP and other reserves. Even a pack of wild dogs can't stand up to lions.

Leopard will also take a single wild dog.

Though Hyena do not kill many wild dogs, they do have a significant effect by the percentage of kills they take from wild dogs. Loosing a hard won kill to other predators can be extremely detrimental to a wild dog pack. The presence of Hyena in an area have a notable effect on the habitat selection of wild dogs.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:04 pm 

Yes, a wild dog has a good speed, but more importantly they have STAMINA! They actually depend on their stamina to be able to outrun their prey such as Impala. They have relatively huge lungs and long legs.

Let me put it this way:

Lions are sprinters.
Wild dogs are marathon athletes.

In a situation where a wild dog can see a lion coming, they will be able to outrun them. A lion chase will not last very long. It is the surprise factor that is in the lions favour. In a short sharp attack, the lion has the advantage.

Now we can think of three (there are lots more) scenarios where lions can cause problems:

1.The wild dog pack is denning. The young are vulnerable and not mobile. Adults have to guard them. This expose the whole pack to lion attack.

2. The wild dog pack is hunting. This can easily entail a two or three kilometre, high speed chase. The risk of running in to a lion ambush is just huge.

3. Lions are night hunters. Wild dog sleep at night. Though they will be alert, they are exposed to a surprise attack.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: African Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:20 pm 
This article from down on the Quizzes.

(CUSTOS July 1990)

Anyone had a similar experience as far as the shongololo (millipede) is concerned? :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm 

i have been very lucky with wild dogs this year,the last four times I went to the park i saw wild dogs.
If i get this right pictures will follow,otherwise Ill just have to try again.

This pack I saw just a few kilometers before afsaal traveling from skukuza.
Will post more pictures of the other sightings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:28 pm 

This pack I saw in March 2008 on the H5 gravel road close to Croc bridge,there were about 10 dogs that was vissible at that stage.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The chance of seeing Wild Dogs in Mapungubwe is getting bigger and bigger!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next