Skip to Content

African Wild Dog

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

daver

Wild Dog Kill +- 1 km From Berg-En-Dal : 3rd July 2007

Unread postby daver » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi Wild Dog Enthusiasts

We have just returned from 6 fantastic days in KNP, from Letaba to Berg-En-Dal.

Last Tuesday evening, just before closing time, we were driving from Matjulu waterhole to Berg-En-Dal camp when my daughter spotted a wild dog about 30m away. As there were no other vehicles around, it became 'our' sighting, if you know what I mean. Being the quick-witted type, she started the video camera rolling.

A few seconds later, my son cried "there's another and it's got an impala!"

Huge excitement as you may imagine. We watched as the impala was brought down by the single dog.

Once the impala was down, a second dog arrived and they proceeded to devour the hapless prey.

They ate until they were almost bursting, and we found later (as mentioned by Lourens in his daily Berg-En Dal report) that on of the dogs was a lactating female, so she was eating for the pups as well!

These pics are 'screenshots' taken directly from the video, as the light was not the greatest for the still camera, but they still came out quite well.

It was an awesome sight to behold, and was the highlight of the trip.

Cheers

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:46 pm

Have a look at the latest sightingsreport (April) by the rangers:
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Freda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Doispane Road, just 2 days ago :D
ImageImageImage

Richprins

Wild dog

Unread postby Richprins » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:18 pm

Nice, Freda!!

Back to BUILLASS.

Saw around 10 wild dog just outside Punda Gate in Sept 2005.

They killed a Nyala bull!

This one in a hurry north of Sunset Dam near Lower Sabie in Aug 2007.

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

sms your Wild Dog sighting

Unread postby JoelR » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:30 am

The Endangered Wildlife Trust wants our help! So let´s sms all the doggie sightings! 8)

Endangered Wildlife Trust wrote:Researchers at EWT are trying to determine how wild dogs are genetically related to each other so as to improve the management of their population.

Visitors can support this research by reporting all wild dog sightings to the EWT's Wild Dog Hotline number. Sightings can be phoned in, SMS-ed to 076 725 5242.

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:37 am

The Endangered Wildlife Trust is looking for help to find the Wild Dogs in Kruger.

Sad news from Marakele, where the dogs are in the boma again and will probably be moved to Botswana.

Ambush-Africa

Unread postby Ambush-Africa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Skukuza:

Richprins

Wild dog

Unread postby Richprins » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:04 pm

Today about 4km along the Bume Road (S26) from the western turnoff. 4 animals. Only time they sat up was to listen to lion roars nearby, after ten in the morning! ((34 degrees Celsius!).

LadyRaven

Unread postby LadyRaven » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Ah, yes.. It was certainly just luck.. It's all in the timing.. I also appreciate it when people ask you to pull over to tell you what they've seen - that is what helped us that time!

Last time I saw Wild Dog was on my April/May 2007 trip.

Got some nice pics:

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:13 pm

on the S26 (Bume Road near Biyamiti), 2 km before S114
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:24 pm

As its taking me soo long to get my trip report sorted out, I am going to post a little tester pic of one of the Wild dogs seen last month just outside Skukuza. :wink: :D
My best ever Wild dog trip. :dance:

Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:11 pm

What a beauty, Elsa! 8)
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Richprins

Lifespan

Unread postby Richprins » Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm

Talking purely about Kruger, and judging according to the constant appearance and disappearance and reappearance aff packs, and the very much reduced sizes of packs as compared to the previous century, I would suggest that wild dog are having a tougher time of it!? :shock:

Probably linked to the increase in lion numbers and the whole artificial water-point question.

Their strongholds were the Pretoriuskop-Malelane, Phalaborwa, and Punda Maria areas, all with very low lion densities in the 1980's for example.

Contrarily, they have always been most prolific around Skukuza too, with a high lion density! :?

I think once they reach adulthood they are pretty safe from predators, but if one den gets hammered, that is a far greater setback for such socially concentrated animals, and they probably naturally split up to try for a better chance in the next season, making hunting more difficult!? :?

To answer the question, I think they would therefore average
about a generation in age in the Park (3 or 4 years), with a dwindling number of much older pack leaders!

This is all just speculation, and the long-standing wild-dog research project should give more info! :wink:

Imberbe

Re: Lifespan

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 pm

@ G@mespotter: Thanks for the compliment! :redface:

@ Richprins: I agree with your general assessment.

One statement is not accurate though:

Richprins wrote:
I think once they reach adulthood they are pretty safe from predators, but if one den gets hammered, that is a far greater setback for such socially concentrated animals, and they probably naturally split up to try for a better chance in the next season, making hunting more difficult!? :?

Wild dogs need a pack. They are extremely vulnerable without the pack. A pack is a cohesive extended family unit and will not split up - ever. Only when a pack become extremely large is there a chance that it may split in to two packs, but then it will still be packs with the minimum of adult members that will be able to sustain the pack.

The only dogs that leave the pack is those - usually young females, but sometimes males too - that leave the pack because they have no possibility of breeding in their natal pack and therefore leave to try and join another pack or start a new one.

The pack itself is however stable and will stay together, especially in hard times!

It has been shown that packs with less than 5/6 adults have reduced chance of success in hunting, but more especially in breeding and tend to dwindle and disappear. Larger packs ensures a higher success in the hunt.

A single wild dog is extremely exposed to other predators, and will not have a great chance of survival.

Lion is a constant threat, and has been shown to be the single most important factor in wild dog mortality and therefore in determining wild dog habitat selection in KNP and other reserves. Even a pack of wild dogs can't stand up to lions.

Leopard will also take a single wild dog.

Though Hyena do not kill many wild dogs, they do have a significant effect by the percentage of kills they take from wild dogs. Loosing a hard won kill to other predators can be extremely detrimental to a wild dog pack. The presence of Hyena in an area have a notable effect on the habitat selection of wild dogs.

Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Fri May 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Yes, a wild dog has a good speed, but more importantly they have STAMINA! They actually depend on their stamina to be able to outrun their prey such as Impala. They have relatively huge lungs and long legs.

Let me put it this way:

Lions are sprinters.
Wild dogs are marathon athletes.

In a situation where a wild dog can see a lion coming, they will be able to outrun them. A lion chase will not last very long. It is the surprise factor that is in the lions favour. In a short sharp attack, the lion has the advantage.

Now we can think of three (there are lots more) scenarios where lions can cause problems:

1.The wild dog pack is denning. The young are vulnerable and not mobile. Adults have to guard them. This expose the whole pack to lion attack.

2. The wild dog pack is hunting. This can easily entail a two or three kilometre, high speed chase. The risk of running in to a lion ambush is just huge.

3. Lions are night hunters. Wild dog sleep at night. Though they will be alert, they are exposed to a surprise attack.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “Mammals”