Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wild Dog Den's?
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:19 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Dogs would typically not only have one den, but will move the pups as soon as parasites get too many in the den, or if it should be discovered by lion. They also do not necessarily return to the same den each year. But they may re use an old den from time to time.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: African Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 am 

They are one of the best animals ever. The top picture should be a video , if you click on it , it should open to a video

Post subject: Re: Wild Dog Den's?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am 

Okay, no Rhino near them. They were on the move so probably not at the same spot today. I got the dogs yesterday on the H14 between Shikumbu and the turn off to the Ngwenyeni water hole.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 am 

Has anyone seen wild dogs in Kgalagadi and if so where? I am looking to go there soon and seen that they are on the checklist yet I never thought they were there? i know there was a relocation effort when it was the Kalahari Gemsbok but that failed but any other populations? :pray:

Planned Trip Nov 2010

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

El-Bok -- was looking for a post which discussed this some time ago, but cannot find it.

Wild dog are on the list as a once-off migrant (I think) -- which means they were once spotted "passing thru".

No known populations as far as I'm aware.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

david wrote:
different take on a wild dog. seen on night drive at Shingwedzi....

Hey David, nice take on a WD! :cam:

Where is this exactly in the Shingwedzi area and how many wild dogs were there??
I saw a pack of 9 wild dogs at the Red Rocks weir once but that was at least 10-15 years ago. Wild Dogs aren't commonly seen in the North these days. And during the recent census, sightings in the North were few and far between and there is little info available on Wild Dogs numbers in the Mozambique side of the Transfronteir Park.

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 am 

A couple of weeks ago we stayed a couple of days in Sabi Sands GR, before going to Skukuza. We were so lucky to bump into this pack of wild dogs! It was amazing. I couldn't take it away from you guys. Hopefully you like it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Phantastic sighting and video :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know this is a SANParks forum but just spent 2 weeks in Zim and really good news is that Wild Dogs seem to be thriving in certain areas :D

In the North (Zambezi Valley), saw a pack of 25 and another pack of 10. We also missed a different pack of 11 and was told that there is a pack of 30 odd nearby...this is all in a relatively small area. I also know the dogs are doing well towards Vic Falls and apparently are regularly seen in many of the hunting conservancies in the Valley area..

Apparently they are also doing OK in the Conservancy areas in the South of Zim and some of the packs are moving across to Ghonarezou (spelling?) which obviously forms part of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park. This is excellent news for Kruger's Wild Dog population as it obviously means that it is not a closed population and that new genes can come in :P
Some dogs were also recently sighted about 50km N of Beit Bridge moving east off the main road area. Unfortunately they cause havoc in some of the tribal land areas but great to know they are still around these areas.

To me this is fantastic news as Zim's animals have been largely persecuted but are still thriving in some areas. From gathering information from various authorities and private land owners it seems as though Zims WD popualtion is at a minimum of 300 animals and possibly as high as 500 or more which shows that this country is a stronghold for this species and that perhaps although still very much endangered, a proper census need to be done of WD in Africa to establish numbers as I have heard some reliable sources saying that as few as 1000-1500 dogs exist in the wild.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 am 

One of the reasons why this is one of Africa's most endangered species is because Wild Dogs were blamed for an antelope decline and they were shot on site :sniper: . Luckily on this day we spotted the illusive Wild Dog. This one was part of a pack of three, one of them had a huge gash on the top of its head.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildafri

Last edited by Wildafri on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:24 am 

We've seen a pack of Wild Dogs including pups (around 20-22 dogs in total) just a couple of hundret meters outside of Talamati gate back in September. It was about half an hour before the gate closed and they were running towards us on the street. The pups were very playful and curious, stopped and looked around, then chased some birds. Then all of a sudden 3 or maybe 4 adult ones started chasing Impalas out of the bush and they ran away from us, only to return a couple of minutes later with a bloody face. They killed an Impala right next to the road and if we weren't lucky enough to see and watch these dogs for minutes and minutes, we actually saw them finishing off a kill a couple of meters away from us...
I truly still have no words for what we experienced. It took my breath away...we were taking pictures like crazy.

Here are two. I'll post more once I have them ready...

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 am 

In the current issue of Africa Geographic (november 2010) there is an interesting story about a female wild dog in Moremi (around Mombo Camp) in Botswana. Her mates were possibly killed by lions. After some months she gave up looking for her mates and started associating with spotted hyena's (greeting and touching muzzles) and black-backed jackals. She regurgitates meat for the jackal pups and when she sets off on a hunt, usually the jackals follow her and after a kill they feed together.

You can find more information and pictures about this wild dog (and many more interesting stories) if you go to Grant Atkinsons blog on the Africa Geographic website. At the moment the wild dog story is on page 3 of his blog.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:13 pm 

Picture taken during May 2010 between Crocodile Bridge & Berg-een-Dal. One of sixteen dogs next to the road!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HI Kallis1786

Skukuza is teaming with wild dogs at the moment. They are being seen on every main road nearby. There are 4 packs, possibly 5 that have been operating within 15 km of the Main Camp as a crow flies.
I saw 2 packs the day before yesterday. At least 5 adults feeding on a baby impala on the tar road just west of Transport Dam.
Then we saw 7 adults and 1 about 6 month old pup just South of Skukuza. They were at the main 4-way stop and went south and caught some baby impalas on the road to Renosterkoppies. I will post some pics.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The following pics are of the pack that was hanging around just south of Skukuza. every other day they went South down to Granokop then back east then north towards the Skukuza 4-way stop. This route they followed for the 4 days we were there, harvesting the area of the baby impala. We had just missed them several times so on the last morning in the park we decided to focus on finding them and work the area properly.

After someone had reported them in the area again that morning we drove around off the H1-1 anticipating that they might pop out on the S114. We were about to give up and turn around when we said "Ok we will just check around the next corner"...for once it worked that the last corner we check around, produced something...all 8 dogs were just off the side of the road ripping up the poor babies they had just caught.
It was hard to tell but at least 2 but maybe 3 or 4 were caught and even while we were there one dog sprinted off and came back with another baby impala.

..and then playing after the hunt...

Got many more pics including of the other pack that also was eating impalas in much the same style earlier that morning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next