Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mark , there are many projects involving wild dogs .
One of the biggest worrys considering krugers low population at this point of 150-200 is that knp is 1 of the few reserves with a self sustaining population :?
Your favourite animal is on a lot of trouble !

Interesting point to note , is that wild dog numbers do tend to drop after many years of high rainfall , and increase again when it is drier .
We have had record rains , so you may well find this is the reason for there low numbers .

More worrying is the fact that more than half there fatalities are caused directly by man , a lot of these are road kills , which is why it is important for kruger to limit non tourist related traffic ,
and clamp down on speeding and bad driving , especially in the busy south of the park where most wild dogs are found !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our last wilddog sighting was March 2006 near Croc.
H4-2 near S130 T.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Taken in April 2006 at Malelane gate:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:56 pm 

November 2003 there were two AWD at the Kruger Tablets just to the south of Tshokwane. The temperature was in the high 30s, we had had rain the previous night. The dogs were lying in the water that had collected in the rock and then in the shade, repeating the process when they had dried out a bit.
Many cars stopped with more than a few people getting out to walk to the Tablets.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:56 am 

Does anyone know if there is any documented info or evidence on whether Wild dogs would attack an adult human?
I guess if they were hunting as a pack, it certainly could be possible. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:16 pm 

Snoobab wrote:
The pics is of a stranded tourist running down the H4-1 with a pack of WD right behind him. If memory serves me correct he was rescued by the helicopter but was told that he was very lucky as they were closing in on him. He apparently did not even know they were behind him.

I guess if a person or anything runs, it could possibly trigger off the "chase and kill" reflex present in all wild animals, especially predators, and that may have been why the dogs were closing in.
He was very lucky tho. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
There was a very interesting program on BBC this weekend. A series on incredible animal journeys. This week was wild dog.

It seems that lions have an almost pathalogical hatred of wild dogs and will go out of their way to attack - not to eat but just to kill.

Lion predation of wild dogs is a chief reason why numbers are not increasing in protected areas.

No one seems to know why they attack the dogs as they do not have many prey species in common.

As previously stated, Lions will attack all competitive animals. But so will competitive animals attack Lion. Wild Dog if given a chance, and have the numbers will kill a Lion as well. I have even seen Jackal killing Leopard cubs. So they all do it. But yes, Wild Dogs don't do well around other predators, which is why their numbers have never been high

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 pm 

I agree there are ongoing since the beginning of time serious wars of attrition between predators but it is 99% between predators like Lion vs Hyena etc with leopard thrown into the mix with a few opportunistic forays by Jackal as you correctly mentioned.
However in my experience Wild Dog stick to their own and hunt entirely in packs after prey species, have very loose territories so no protection of territory is required and yes they will obviously stumble on the odd leopard in their journeys and yes put them up trees as I have seen twice in my 55 years on this planet.
As a teenager when I first went to Bots in the early 60's Wild dog were VERY common in the swamps and in the brand new proclaimed Moremi.
We saw hundreds of Wild Dog in those years but once we went to drop our guide off at his village after he got his monthly Wildebeest we found over 40 wild dog tails drying in the sun.
Wild Dog numbers are not affected at all by large cats and Hyena at all but man has seen to it that their numbers have crashed especially with their habit of hunting far and wide and they come into contact with man in commercial farm land

[Off topic part of post removed by DB]

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I find it strange that wild dog are supposedely more predominant in areas where there are fewer lions and yet they seem to live together in fairly large numbers (both) in the Croc Bridge area so the enmity is obviously not as intense as some would suggest!

[Off topic part of post removed by DB]

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:11 am 

Hi all. :D
Another newbie to the forum. I thought I'd share some of my pics from our recent trip to Lower Sabie. A long time since I'd seen these most magnificent of carnivores.

[size edited by gwen]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Mark

Since joining SANParks and moving to Skukuza, I have seen WD typically once a year. But this year has been incredible. Here are my sightings:
January - H1-1 (at least three animals, deep in the bush)
April - S3 north of the tar road crossing (4/5 animals, one with a lame hind leg which I reported to Dr Gus Mills. He told me she was the leader of the pack and had often been sighted and even caught on a number of occasions, but it is NOT a snare but an "abnormality". The rest of the pack apparently looks after her and Gus has nicknamed her "Tripod" :lol: ).
February - H1-1 near Mathekenyane (the famous "Skukuza" pack, I saw about eight animals but suspect there were MORE!).
January - S65 (I can't remember how many animals there were as WTM, W@H and JacoV kept on protruding with beltless cans of castle so I couldn't count them! :twisted: ).
November - H1-3 north of Tshokwane but south of the baobab (three animals)
November - H9 a few hundred metres away from Phalaborwa Gate (I saw seven animals but am told this pack has 14 and has been seen often).

In other words, 2006 has been an incredible WD year for me with three sightings.

I promise to write something about the WD release in the Shingwedzi area (which happened this morning) next week if you don't mind. I will speak to the Game Capture guys and post something about that project.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

PS - Why do you support the Cheetahs if Wild Dogs are your favourite animals??

Post subject: Wild Dogs moved from Marekele to KNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I read in the Lowvelder newspaper that a group of seven male Wild dogs have been relocated from Marekele to KNP.

They were a bit of a problem as they kept breaking out of Marakele. Six of the dogs were released with radio collars and one with a GPS collar.

They were relleased near Shingwedzi and seem to be doing well as they were seen to the east of Shingwedzi and they had killed a nyala soon after their release. It is hoped that they can attract some "girly" wild dogs to start a new pack as all of them are males. :D

I dont have a scanner at the moment so I can unfortunately not make a scan of the article. It is a big / long article.

Hope they only go from strength to strength...

The article states that at last count their was only a 130 wild dogs in the park... 7 new ones make a big difference

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Taken on the S1 Jan 2nd 2007

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here are some Wild Dogs seen on the H12 in Dec 06

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:28 pm 

For anyone who has not seen the pics in our trip report.
This pack consisted of 9 dogs and were on the H1-4 between the S91 and the turn off to Olifants camp.
In the heat and excitement of the moment I'm afraid these are more of less the best we got. :wink: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next