Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mammal ID Needed?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Black Rhino, can see from the upper lip.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:45 am 

I agree, definitely a black rhino.

Besides the hooked upper lip, other interesting ID points are the concave back and lesions on the side of the body. Also it charged, typical of the more aggressive black rhino.

Great photos :thumbs_up:

Proud to be a Batpup and a Stiffneck!

Golden Gate: 12-14 Sep 09 ... Addo: 16-18 Sep 09 ...
Oh Shucks! Here comes N.Y.A.M!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 am 

Great photos

Definitely black,with aggressive attitude and hooked upper lip.Great sighting!!! :dance:

Another way to determine the difference between the white and black.

A White rhino with a calf always allow the calf to walk in front of her, and in the case of the black rhino the mom leads the way with calf to follow.

The white rhinos' name does not have anything to do with the colour, but originates from " wide" , which describes the lip of the grazer. :big_eyes:

Post subject: Black Rhino
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:30 am 

Sighted on 9th September 2009 in Kruger.

Post subject: Re: Black Rhino
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 am 

He was about 50feet away when we stopped and turned the engine off to watch. He walked over to the car window, had a sniff for a minute or two, then cantered off into the sunset. Hair raising stuff!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have posted this pic of Rhino on the blog last night, which I think is a Black Rhino...please can anyone confirm this, or tell me that Im wrong?
Seen on the S114 close to BnDal...the behaviour was very different to a white rhino and I have seen so many that this one immediately grabbed me as different!

Thanks
Mgoddard

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Saw this "blackie" in December 2009. It was truly a special sighting.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Thanks Richprins, I took another 7 pics before he headed off into dense bush, I find it REALLY difficult to spot Blackies, I think only my second one in probably 100 + visits to the park!! Whites on the other hand, on our last trip to Satara (for a week in Dec/Jan), we spotted about 20 in one day!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We saw three black rhinos 17 December 2009

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:35 pm 

This black rhino bull has got a great temperment - have seen him a few times around Lower Sabie area. He will often just browse right next to cars

Post subject: Re: Black or White Rhinos
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The shoulders are a give-away in many cases as well. The black rhino's neck is more upright because it is a browser and takes food off plants and not from the ground.

Elsa wrote:
These Black Rhinos were seen on the S119 last month, really a great thrill as these are the first for me in Kruger. :D

Male

and then the mother and calf.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Black Rhino.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BLACK RHINOS TO ZAMBIA

On Wednesday 26 May 2010, five endangered black rhinos were translocated to North Luangwa National Park (NLNP) in Zambia from South Africa. This will complete a founder population of 25 black rhinos and is the first successful return of black rhinos to a country from where they were previously poached to extinction.

This groundbreaking event, facilitated by South African National Parks (SANParks) and Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) is the culmination of years of complex planning and movement between SANParks, Namibian Parks, Zambia Wildlife Authority, Eastern Cape Parks Board and Ezemvelo KZN > Wildlife in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), South Africa.

These rhino were initially destined to come from the Eastern Cape Parks Board. However, due to fears that these animals would not adapt well to Zambian conditions, negotiations were entered into with Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife to source the animals from Zululand in exchange for the animals from the Eastern Cape. This initiative was aimed at ensuring that the animals have the best chance of successfully adapting to the conditions in North Luangwa.

The five animals destined for Zambia were from the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park and Ithala Game Reserve in South Africa. They left Durban International Airport on a specially-chartered SAFAIR Hercules C-130 flight to the NLNP in Zambia*s Northern Province.

Zambia was once home to the continent*s third largest black rhino population numbering almost 12,000. Heavy poaching during the 1970-80s decimated the species and they were declared nationally extinct in 1998.
Since then, Frankfurt Zoological Society through their North Luangwa Conservation Programme and the Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) have worked closely together to improve law enforcement and conservation management in North Luangwa National Park (NLNP).

The greatest success of this partnership has been the black rhino reintroduction programme, begun in 2003.

Five separate translocations have taken place and, with this year`s arrivals, a total of 25 animals will have been moved to the NLNP.
The reintroduction has been approved by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the South African and Zambian Ministries of Livestock and Veterinary Services, and Environmental Affairs.

The Four females and one male were captured in KZN, South Africa, towards the end of March and have been held in quarantine *bomas* (or pens). This gets the animals used to the sounds and scents of human activity in unfamiliar surroundings and facilitates a less stressful relocation.

On arrival in Zambia, the rhinos were offloaded into holding pens for a period of 2-4 weeks to acclimatise them and to enable them to be monitored before being released into the NLNP.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Re: Black Rhino.
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Black Rhinos to Serengeti - Tanzania.

Good news, during our visit to Serengeti during May 2008, there were none of these magnificent animals in the Park, only 26 in the Ngorongoro Crater, of which we saw only one, the others were in areas not normaly visited by tourists.

Jakaya Kikwete celebrates rhinos' homecoming

From DAILY NEWS Reporter in Ngorongoro, 22nd May 2010 @ 22:00,

PRESIDENT Jakaya Kikwete said here that each black rhino in the country is assigned a bodyguard like him to save the animals from extinction.

Speaking during handing over ceremony of six black rhinos out of 32 from South Africa at Seronera airstrip, Ngorongoro District on Friday evening, President Kikwete said all 26 black rhinos existing in the country have individual guards.

According to the president, black rhinos are among the most treasured wild animals and favourites of tourists. Most tourists leave the country happy after seeing them.

President Kikwete said it was saddening that black rhinos were being killed for stupid reasons, including beliefs that powder from their horns could enhance sexual prowess.

Population decline of the animals has been tremendously accelerated in the last decade by poaching to meet demand for rhino horn from Arab and Asian countries, and it is rapidly approaching extinction.

The president observed that a number of black rhinos in the country plummeted from 10,000 in 1960s to less than 1,000 in 1990s.

"We had a big population of black rhinos to an extent we were issuing licences for hunting and relocation ... such a decline has given us a lesson," he stressed.

President Kikwete opened his heart before the crowd when he said that despite having several hobbies, his passion for wildlife is unbeaten.

"I love basketball and I once played it, I love music and I used to dance in halls but now protocol cannot allow me to do that. It's also not a secret that I'm ardent fan of soccer.

"But with all this, none can deny my passion for wildlife," he told over 300 people who attended the historic event.

On her part, the Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Mrs Shamsha Mwangunga, said that the 1993 Rhino Management Plan would be reviewed to further protection to the endangered species.

"We've done our homework to make sure that poachers will have no chance as they had in 1980s and 1990s to kill the poor animals," she stressed.

According to Mrs Mwangunga, number of black rhinos was 26 and will now reach 58 after relocation of 32 rhinos from South Africa.

She said that each black rhino had cost between 8,500 and 9,000 US dollars to be repatriated to Tanzania.

The South African Minister for Environment, Ms Bulyelwa Sonjica, said that the relocation of the animals signifies the strong relations between the two countries.

She noted that Tanzania was occupying a special space of hearts of South Africans as many of them stayed or studied in Tanzania during the liberation struggle.

In 1962, seven black rhinos were relocated to South Africa from East Africa and the animals increased to 61 todate, out of them 32 will be relocated to Tanzania.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I took this photo at the Shimangaweni Dam on the S36 in Nov 2009. I do hope it was either a natural death or by a hunt of a pride of lions. As you can see the horns have been sawn off, hopefully by the KNP Rangers and not by poachers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next