Moderator: RosemaryH

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Henk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:34 pm

Saw this guy in Addo last week
{Resized by BGS}

Re: Antelope: Bushbuck

Unread postby african_wild_cat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:03 am

gwendolen wrote:bushbuck are usually single, sometimes in pairs or in small groups of ewes and lambs.

Could this perhaps be a regional thing? We used to have about 30 or so bushbuck living within a 20km radius from our house in the Eastern Cape and apart from old bulls, I have rarely seen a bushbuck on his/her own. Always in little family groups or a ram and ewe (sometimes one ram with two ewes) and if we were lucky they had young ones with them. So, I've never really thought of them as solitary creatures. Is it possible for a species to socialize differently in different geographical areas or is this just coincidence?

We were also lucky enough to see some bushbuck on our front lawn at night on a couple of occasions. And we have an old colour slide of a confused bushbuck wandering between the houses in broad daylight. It found its way into the bush eventually... after being supplied with a road map and a strict lecture on the dangers of the suburban jungle... :wink:
And forget not
that the earth delights
to feel your bare feet
and the winds long to play with your hair - Kahlil Gibran

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 am

I have seen quite a lot of bush buck along the Garden Route in recent years. Hopefully the senseless hunting of them will stop around there to allow them to continue to flourish in numbers.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postby Knapie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Kanniedood dam in August

Unread postby ice » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 am

on one of my recent night drives from satara the guide mentioned that bushbuck are one of the rare antilopes that eat carrion...never heard this before...truth or myth?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bishop3006 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Bushbuck? Can't remember that I've read this yet... Will have ot take a look in my books tonight, but Imberbe or some of the others should be able to answer readily. I do know that duiker will readily take small birds and things if they get them while grazing/browsing. They also quite easily eat faeces that are around - which is why it is not a good idea to eat the meat from duiker from around human, especially informal, settlements.

But bushbuck...? :hmz:
Hunter, nature lover, conservationist.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postby Richprins » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Hey, ice, and bishop3006!

I don't think any antelope "regularly" eats carrion, for a start!

The duiker family alone has been reported to be "omnivorous" in Africa, as far as I know, with similar small relatives around the world doing the same to a lesser or greater degree!

That's all I know!

(See the "Roan Antelope" thread for more input regarding the guides...)

Return to “Mammals”