SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:20 pm 
Guru
Guru

jaapvandijk wrote:
If they come up with a good vaccin to treat BTB, how will they than vaccinate the buffalo's? will they even do this or will they only vaccinate the lions?
If so, this would cost a great amount of money :!:

Hi Jaapvandijk

The problem is that if you try and solve the situation with the lions, there is nothing stopping them hunting another buffalo and then BTB will come back to the lions anyway.
We still believe our focus should be on the buffalo population with additional research on other species.
A delivery system is also one of the things that needs to be researched, but we still researching the vaccine itself. It is the same vaccine that the New Zealand Conservationists have recently had successes with deer, which were also infected with BTB (again from the same source).

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

PS Sorry I have only responded now, but I couldn't find this thread. :oops:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is realy interesting.
Yes, I think it will be the best to get to the origin of the BTB. But if there is a vaccin that make lion immune to it, that will also be good.
This reasearch realy sound interesting!!!!
If you have more relevant information, please dont hassitate to post it!!!!

grtz JvD

Post subject: Re: What may have been done?
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildjohn wrote:

It seems that this could possibly be undone however each time domestic cattle in the area contracted TB. Once again this seems to be a problem created by humans, but not easy to fix :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just to pick up one of the earler questions: I would consider it quite possible that lion cubs can be infected by their mothers milk as well. This route of infection is found in cattle and, in the ages before TB testing of cattle and pasteurizing milk, it was the consumption of raw milk that infected humans to a considerable extent

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:37 pm 

Seeing as this has been brought back to the top.

A number of farmers in the UK blame badgers for spreading Bovine TB. Would any other animal in KNP be acused of being TB carriers?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

For those who could not see 50/50 that was broadcast earlier today in SA, watch this link for a transcription of a most interesting insight into this problem.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At the same time as the 50/50 show was broadcasting in SA, we had a programme on TB in Lions in the KNP too! Programme was made in 1998 and featured Dewald Keet too. They said that (at that time) they thought that the northern half of KNP was free of TB. Sadly this does not appear to be the case now. We saw a very sorry looking pride of lions on our night drive from Olifants, and the guide confirmed that TB was a big problem in the area and numbers in the park had dropped from 2,500 to 1,500 over 2 years. It's sad to see that the lions are becoming so rare...we've always seen them on our trips, but never in such small numbers and in such poor condition.

We also heard about a TB-free buffalo breeding project just outside Malelane. In fact, driving back to Joburg from Marloth Park on the N4, we actually saw them in their pens. Question is, how to replace 30,000-odd potentially infected buffalo with disease-free ones? The programme we saw said that there was no test for tb on live animals. Is this really the case?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This programme also featured Dewald Keet but was much more recent. It's terribly alarming what was shown. Herds of "positive" buffalo were found as far north as just above Letaba recently. It's spreading at an alarming rate. 12 species of animals are now infected - buff, lion and kudu the worst. It was also found recently in a cheetah. And no there is no way of doing tests on live animals except visual diagnostics. It's shocking to see the state of the lions. :? The condition of the fences along the borders of KNP is also reason for alarm as the disease may be spread back to livestock where it originated and to humans.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Krokodile wrote:
The programme we saw said that there was no test for tb on live animals. Is this really the case?

No, Dr Keet has a test that he developed himself. I think I know which program you are talking about. I've seen it before.Wasn't it on a episode of Parklife Africa?

Anyway, Dr Keet does the following:
He shaves the hair off on a small patch on the animal
He injects a fluid that contains the BovTB virus just under the skin
He recaptures the animal about 72hrs later
If the patch is inflamed, the animal is infected, If not the animal isn't

I am so sad about the state of the Lions. We were very lucky over easter though. With all our Lion sightings, none of them were in bad condition. In fact they were in great condition.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Last edited by Loams on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

On 50/50 they darted lions to test them but the problem was that they had to re-test them 72 hours later and they couldn't keep them contained as it was too stressful for them.
(Hope I've got this correct as my Afrikaans isn't the best)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That's right. That's why I got the impression that they couldn't test on a live animal effectively.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

No, it is effective, it's just difficult to do.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Last edited by Loams on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:05 pm 

Another point raised in tonight's programme is the fact that the only area left in KNP without infected lion prides is the Limpopo Valley :(

No easy solution to this problem :!:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:16 am 

Scary subject after listening to them. The threat not only to animal but human life is also a real possibility. As TB spreads to the north, the chances of buffalo breaking through the fence and infecting the cattle of neighbouring farmers are real. These cattle are then consumed by humans.

I did feel sad for the one male lion they showed. Irrespective of the fact that he kept on going right, did you see the lump on his hind leg?

I still question the fact that they only believe the real effects will only be seen after 100-150 years?? The South of the park is so infected with TB, something has to be done, and unless a cure or a represant can be found, I don't see a good solution to happen.

But with this said, I would also like to really thank Dr. Dewalt Keet (KNP State's Vetenarian) for his long hours and hard work that he is putting into researching this disease.. THANK YOU SO MUCH for trying to find the solution to this problem.

Oh, and did anyone see one of our valuable forum members on the show :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:19 am 

The test shown on the 50/50 program is called the tuberculin test and more specific the caudal-fold tuberculin test. This test is routinely use to test cattle for TB and the procedure is basically the same for TB testing used for humans and other animals. Dr Keet just applied an existing test to testing lions for TB. Follow this link to a PDF document on Caudal-fold Tuberculin test or else visit this website that will also supply you with some information regardingthis test.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next